Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

What to do in Stockport?

10 replies

triplets · 11/06/2003 17:36

Hi,
Me again! We have all been invited up to a wedding anniversary party in Stockport on July 4th, so as its a very long way from here we are staying two nights. Any ideas of where we can take the children the day after the party without spending a fortune!

OP posts:
Please
or

janh · 11/06/2003 18:24

Have a look at these sites to be going on with, triplets:

www.primarytimes.net/localisting.asp?d=Jul+5+2003&c=8

www.primarytimes.net/localisting.asp?d=Jul+5+2003&c=9

www.stockport.gov.uk/Tourism/default.asp

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/scripts/nthandbook.dll?ACTION=PROPERTY&PROPERTYID=114

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/scripts/nthandbook.dll?ACTION=PROPERTY&PROPERTYID=116

If I have a look at a map I'll probably have some more ideas. I'm never quite sure where everywhere is (IYSWIM!)

(Manchester Airport is more or less at Stockport - you could go and watch the planes!)

Please
or

sammac · 11/06/2003 18:35

Don't live there, but visit few times a year to family. Suggestions are if you like shopping - Trafford centre, which has a creche and lots for kids, good market in centre at weekends, big soft play place in town centre ( can't remember name!)lots of parks around, gorgeous countryside within minutes, all normal activities like 10 pin bowling/ cinema in centre and all easily walkable to within centre. We're down the same weekend!!

Please
or

katierocket · 11/06/2003 18:40

hi
we live about 5 mins away. stockport itself is pretty grim but as sammac says you are very near to some lovely countryside and obviously Manchester. Museum of science and industry is good and free (I think you have to pay for certain exhibitions but it's not a lot)
Lots of lovely parks nearby - Lyme Park for one(national trust).
hth

Please
or

Tinker · 11/06/2003 18:46

Loads of National Trust places round here. Imagine if you check out their website you'll find them. Stockport centre is indeed grim but countryside round here is wonderful.

Please
or

hewlettsdaughter · 11/06/2003 21:44

Isn't there a leisure centre/pool with baby pool, water slides etc in the centre (not far from the railway station)? Hopefully someone from the area can confirm.

Please
or

Tinker · 11/06/2003 23:10

There is indeed a leisure pool etc. there hewlettsdaughter - never been but told it's good

Please
or

berries · 12/06/2003 11:18

Triplets - how old are your kids? The pool is good, lots of different bits to it so littlies would like it too. There is also a cinema in the same area, may be a quiet few hours. As said before, NT places around are good, but you may want to stay put if you've done a lot of travelling already. Where are you staying? Train station has good, fairly fast links into Manchester if you fancy that. Also, Trafford centre is good for shopping, has a large soft play area, dancing bears (good for another 20 - 30 mins) and plenty of eating places. Mine like the big downstairs bit with the large screen and 'pool' (you'll know what I mean if you go).
Also, the hat museum is there. Sounds strange but dd2 (5) went there last year & thoroughly enjoyed it. Probably better for girls than boys though.
Other suggestions, take the train to Manchester Airport, watch the planes for a bit, grab a bite to eat & come back - good 3 - 4 hours honest fun for kids - plus loads of escalators to ride on, including moving walkways. I know, I once had to spend 8 hours there with 3 & 5 yr old (bl**dy air traffic controllers!)
HTH

Please
or

Lollypop · 12/06/2003 20:54

Leisure centre is good and near the railway station, as are the Megabowl and cinema.
Science museum (free) and Manchester museum (free?)are favourites of ours. There are also the Lowery art gallery & Imperial war museum (North) that are free and next to a designer outlet.

Chester Zoo & the Blue Planet are excellent if you don't mind a car journey so is Knowsley Safarie Park.

Berries whereabouts is the hat museum? DD loves hats.

Please
or

janh · 12/06/2003 21:33

Lollypop -

www.stockport.gov.uk/hatworks/home.htm

There are other good places in Stockport too, like Bramall Hall and the Air Raid Shelters.

Please
or

triplets · 12/06/2003 21:52

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions, as we will only have the Sat I am sure we can find enough to do! Is Stockport centre really that grim......husband will flip as he doesnt want to go anyway! We are staying at the Premier Lodge as recommended by my friend as being the nearest accomodation to where she lives, it has a restaurant, The Old Vicarage I believe. There rooms sleep four as most of these chains do, but they were really good when I explained that in the past we have been forced to pay for two rooms and when it comes to bedtime, the kids all refuse to sleep with Dad and I end up with them all and he gets a nice quiet room to his self all night So they said that they have a room which is much bigger than the others and so we can all get in there, so thats why we are staying two nights now, wont cost so much.Berries, my trio are five!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?