Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Mallorca in September

21 replies

florenceuk · 10/06/2003 16:34

Anybody got any tips? We have been looking at self-catering villas near to Pollenca - but also noted a recommendation on Mumsnet for the area Canyamel. Any views - probably will be two couples and two babies, varying degrees of enthusiasm for walking/sitting by the pool. Wanting a not-too-touristy but child-friendly experience, IYKWIM.

OP posts:
Please
or

hewlettsdaughter · 10/06/2003 17:34

Hi, we stayed at a villa called C'an Perdiu near Pollenca in Sept 2001 - see www.vintagetravel.co.uk. We were 3 couples, 1 toddler - had a fantastic time. Only thing wrong was that although the blurb about the villa said it was 2km from Pollenca, it wasn't really walkable (busy road). Vintage Travel are very good (we went to Catalunya with them last year) - if you ring them (01954 261 431 from within UK) they should be able to find somewhere that will suit your requirements.

Please
or

leese · 10/06/2003 18:36

Hey! We stayed next to C'an Perdiu with Vintage Travel in Sept 2002! Small world. Agree wholeheartedly with hewlettsdaughter about the busy rd into Pollenca, but that didn't bother us. The lane up to the villa is also a bit small and windy (ours was the next one on from C'an Perdiu). Beautiful, beautiful area tho'. Lovely sitting on the terrace in the evening watching the sun set over the mountains. Very handy for Puerto Pollenca too, which is a livelier port town, but not 'spoilt'. Alcudia bit of a British Tourists haven - avoidable if you're not keen on that sort of thing. Great drive out to Formentor, at the tip of the island. Lots of lively markets around and about too. Pollenca is a lovely old town - great for the weekly markets, and coffee sitting outside. Wish I could go back!
Would highly recommend Vintage Travel - very reasonable rates (and I did MASSES of research before we eventually booked)

Please
or

hewlettsdaughter · 10/06/2003 19:00

Hi leese! View was great wasn't it . We didn't get out loads (the pool was too inviting!), but one tip would be if you want to visit the old church at the top of the hill in Pollenca, you might want to take baby slings rather than buggies - there's loads of steps and I don't think there's any alternative to carrying everything up (6 of us took turns carrying my son and our folded buggy - it was still knackering!).

Please
or

Azure · 11/06/2003 09:39

We got back a few weeks ago from the Pollenca area. We stayed in the countryside 5 mins drive to Pollenca and 10 mins from Puerto Pollenca. The views were lovely and there was lots of land for DS (20mths) to run around. Even though we couldn't walk to any shops etc, with the car there were a number of beaches we could drive to within 15 mins - all lovely. The area really is beautiful, there is a decent big supermarket (plus lots of little ones), and most restaurants have high chairs and are very friendly towards children. Loved it. We booked through Mallorcan Farmhouses, taking advantage of a 2 weeks for 1 offer.

Please
or

leese · 11/06/2003 13:38

hewlettsdaughter - you're a braver woman than I doing that trek! I just passed by the bottom in the car, and thought 'Are those people mad?' to anyone I saw going up!! Guess the view from the top was great tho' wasn't it? apparently it is also a retreat, and you can stay there cheaply if you have the desire - would suit a single person, or young couple - no way can you get a car near there.

Please
or

triplets · 11/06/2003 17:27

Hi,
Puerto Pollenca is my favourite place on earth. We bought an apartment there in 1987, but sadly sold it after our son died, and then these three came along so would have been too small. But with a lump in my throat we returned last year and rented an apt opposite the marina........bliss. The villas are lovely, but if you have small children yhe apts on the front are perfect. Ours was huge, slept six, we just trotted over the road to the beautiful beach, left all our gear there and trotted back for lunch where we could sit on the balcony and watch our things anyway. The advantage is that if one of you wants to go off on their own and stroll around the town its easy. Couldn`t recommend it highly enough and wish it was me going! I have lots more info on the place if you need it.

Please
or

leese · 11/06/2003 18:36

triplets - who did you book the apartments with? Was it a holiday co. or independently? Just thinking about next year, as we loved Pollenca so much last year - so child friendly.

Please
or

florenceuk · 11/06/2003 22:28

Thanks for this - seems to be a clear vote for Pollenca. Anybody have strong views on which bits to avoid???

OP posts:
Please
or

florenceuk · 12/06/2003 13:43

Azure - did you hire a car and baby seat through Mallorcan Farmhouses as well? If so, was it OK?

OP posts:
Please
or

Azure · 12/06/2003 14:16

florenceuk, we hired our car and booked our flights independently. We booked the car online through a Spanish company - www.majorca-carhire.com There was no additional charge for a car seat (or extra driver) and ours was fine; however, we had to choose the seat from a pile on the floor and so you could be unlucky if only a grotty one is left. We did have to pay Mallorcan Farmhouses an extortionate amount to hire a cot, however - I complained and they are meant to be reviewing this policy.

Please
or

florenceuk · 12/06/2003 14:24

Yes, they told me it was £28 each to hire cot and highchair!

OP posts:
Please
or

Gem13 · 12/06/2003 14:46

Nothing on Mallorca but wanted to add that we took DS's carseat with us recently (Rock a Tot, so very light) to Italy. We put it in a clear plastic bag so that the baggage handlers might take some care with it. Well, you can hope .

It saved us £28 but more importantly we were happy knowing DS was in our 'non accident/clean' seat (brother once collected his hire car in Germany (!!!) with the only car seat they had left at 10 at night and the previous baby had been sick in it!)

Just wanted to recommend the cotton covers you can get for both types of car seat too. The one we have is made by Maxi Cosi but they fit other car seats. Means the baby isn't surrounded by the nylony fabric of the seat.

Please
or

Gem13 · 12/06/2003 16:07

Meant to add ...in very hot weather.

Please
or

Azure · 12/06/2003 16:15

florenceuk - sounds like they haven't changed the policy yet then. Of course those prices are per week. We too out a plastic booster seat without the tray instead of hiring a highchair, which worked really well. My overall experience of the company was good and the villa we hired was great.
Gem13 - I really like the idea of taking a cotton cover for a hired car seat.

Please
or

triplets · 12/06/2003 21:41

Hi Leese,
We booked through Cal D`or Travel, they were very good, but when we called into the property caretakers in the Port we found out we could have booked the same apt direct with them for half the price, the taxi, car hire, everything would have been cheaper. I have their card somewhere so will let you have the details when I find it. The other really good company for accomodation is Pollensa Pines, you will find both companies on the net, also Puerto Pollensa has its own website!

Please
or

leese · 13/06/2003 19:42

Thanks triplets!

Please
or

florenceuk · 12/09/2003 11:27

Does anybody know - can you get Weetabix in Mallorca?????

OP posts:
Please
or

janh · 12/09/2003 11:48

You can get it in Costa del Sol (does that help?)

Please
or

EmmaTMG · 12/09/2003 11:56

We went in October last year and they certainly had weetabix then.........

Please
or

florenceuk · 12/09/2003 12:05

Thanks! Just doing my packing....

OP posts:
Please
or

janh · 12/09/2003 13:32

Have a lovely time!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?