Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Any recomendations for these places in France?

3 replies

Claireandrich · 08/06/2003 20:50

DH and I (with DD who will be 18 months at the time)are going to drive into France for October half term. We have already booked a 10 day ferry crossing (cheap deal via Times) and know our route. We are stopping at a number of places, and I now need to find some suitable accomodation. We want places reasonably well situated (walking distance from centre/main attractions), parking, reasonable price. As we will have DD a lift would be good too!

I just wondered if any mumsnetters have been to the following places and could reccomend anywhere?

We are planning to go:

Boulogne sur mer (1 night)
Rouen (2 nights)
Chartres (2 nights)
Somewhere near Disney and Paris (3 nights)
Epernay (1 night)
Somewhere near Calais, on way from Epernay (1 night)

I think we may have somewhere for near Disney at a place called Chanteloup.

Thanks if you can help!

OP posts:
Please
or

Marina · 09/06/2003 09:10

OK, first two places not to bother with (one's a shame because I think it's very good, but they don't do family rooms apparently):

The Hotel attached to Le Matelote in Boulogne. Grrr, wonderful restaurant, supposedly currently the best in town. If dd is still in a travel cot you could ask - ds was just a leetle too big.

The Hotel du Lys (or Lion) et Banniere de France in Laon (that would be between Epernay and Calais). Decor reminiscent of the hotel in Barton Fink, weird proprietors. Looks fine from outside...don't go there. We found Laon quite a depressing place generally actually, despite its fine architecture in the centre.

Not that close to Disney, but easy hour's driving distance I think - L'Auberge de Chaalis at Fontaine-Chaalis near Senlis. Great food, nice couple were running it in 1998, delightful old building. Did not go there with nipper but 99% certain it had high chairs in the dining room. There is a train service to Paris from Senlis station.

Near Calais - the slightly mad and VERY welcoming Augerge du Chateau de Tourelles, at Le Wast. Again, nice locally-grown food, really kind proprietors, not a chateau but a slightly faded manor house 15 mins drive from Calais. Did not see atmospheric rooms in old house but they had super family rooms in their modern annexe (double for us, little single for ds off bathroom, all newly refurbished).

Also not far from Calais and in St Omer, the Hotel le Bretagne. Similar to the Auberge, really - unpretentious but very nice cooking, friendly staff, comfortable room, spotlessly clean. Wee bit corporate as French hotels go, but let's face it, there is not much of a tourist market in that part of Northern France. We liked the centre of St Omer, though - and there is no hassle parking and walking here (COBBLED STREETS alert).

Phew, can't help with any of the others, Claireandrich. Sounds like a nice itinerary!

Please
or

Claireandrich · 09/06/2003 21:06

Cheers Marina. I have printed your suggestions (and where not to go) and kept them safe. I am going to spend the weekend getting this all sorted I hope. Good to hear some ideas of where we can stop for that final night too, as we have no idea really there.

The hotel we are planning to stay at near Disney is called Hotel Chanteloup in a place called Chanteloup en Brie. It has quite good write ups in some Disney brochures we have. It seems reasonably priced too at £180 for 3 nights (for the room), B&B. Has anyone been here or heard of it?

OP posts:
Please
or

Finbar · 10/06/2003 13:54

Can I add a location to this question?
Does anyone know any good places to spend one night before early mornig return ferry crossing in or aound CHerbourg?

and any suggestions for what to do around that area with children would be greatly appreciated

Thanks mumsnetters.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?