Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Turkey?

15 replies

pluto · 08/06/2003 20:08

Want a cheapish package holiday at the end of end of August. Has anyone been with any of the big tour operators? Can you give me any tips? Obviously I'm aware of the potential risks of travelling to this area at the moment but I'm prepared to at least investigate the possibility.

OP posts:
Please
or

SamboM · 08/06/2003 20:28

I've been there several times, though never with a tour operator. What sort of thing are you after (ie do you want full-on package holiday vibe or somewhere quieter) I may well be able to recommend a suitable place.

Please
or

ks · 08/06/2003 20:34

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please
or

meanmum · 08/06/2003 20:46

I can't help you with package holidays to Turkey but have been a couple of times and spent loads of time there when I did. One of my favourite holiday destinations. There are lots of hotels and pensions etc that you can stay at so if you are going to one of the larger places then maybe do some research on the internet first about hotels and prices etc.

Please
or

Demented · 08/06/2003 23:34

pluto, about six years ago (pre children) DH and I went to Gumbet, near Bodrum with Thomson and had a great time, we went on one of those deals where you don't know what accomodation you are going to get until you arrive and the accomodation was fabulous, much nicer than we can normally afford. Only problem, and this is what puts me off taking children, is that DH and I had very dodgy tummies the entire time we were there and it seems we were not the only ones as the reps were making jokes on the bus back to the airport and the toilet on the plane left a lot to be desired. We were self-catering and ate out loads, I think you need to be careful about the food, we saw someone in a restaurant turning one of those chicken kebabs on the spit (chicken still raw) with some tongs and then putting them straight into the salad. Beautiful country though!

Please
or

SamboM · 09/06/2003 10:03

Pluto, some lovely places in Turkey that are less built up than most of the big destinations:

Patara (fabulous beach though you can't stay right on it as it's protected, funny little hippyish town)

Kalkan, very pretty little place

Gundogan, big wide bay with plenty of restaurants etc but no high-rise buildings

Fethiye - a big town but not just tourists, v nice

I personally didn't like Olu Deniz, too crowded for me, though beautiful lagoon vg for small kids I should think and close to Fethiye so may be good for you if you like busy places.

Please
or

SamboM · 09/06/2003 10:45

Bear in mind that I haven't been there since 1995 so my info may be out of date!

Please
or

badjelly · 09/06/2003 11:23

I would recommend either Bodrum or Gumbet (next to each other) had a fantastic time there!

Please
or

pluto · 09/06/2003 20:14

Thanks for these ideas. DS is 3 and a half which might help to narrow down the options. Would prefer self catering or quite small hotel. Really don't want anywhere very busy. Shortish transfer time as we can only go for a week. Demented's comments about holiday tummy have put me off a bit. We've just returned from a Club Med trip and probably one of the best things is the delicious and properly cooked grub!

OP posts:
Please
or

Demented · 09/06/2003 22:24

Oh no pluto, my intention wasn't to put you off, Turkey is gorgeous but I felt I should mention the holiday tummy, if you do go just be careful with the food. Just a thought does anyone know if you can get some sort of diahorrea (sp?) medication for children like you can for adults to use when you are abroad (like Imodium etc). BTW we had taken some homoepathic thing (Dr Browns I think it was called) with us to Turkey, it had no effect on the dodgy tummies, may have been better to have taken something stronger with us.

Please
or

helenmh · 10/06/2003 18:33

We went last year with tapestry holidays. We stayed in gocek which I would really recommend.To be honest although tapestry were very good I would do turkey independently- very easy and wonderfully cheap. The kids loved the friendly people and we didnt have any problem with the food.The appartments were called Yagmur- I think they may have a website but I dont know it. It is a really child friendly country with a lovely coastline , scenery and history
helen

Please
or

SamboM · 11/06/2003 13:41

I agree, Gocek is lovely. I've never been package either, we have never stayed in an unclean place, most of the accommodation is very well kept and is cheap as chips (esp at the moment I should think). Transport is easy. I have been there several times and never had a remotely dodgy tum (and I have Crohn's disease so am v susceptible!)

Please
or

caydeb · 11/06/2003 21:09

went to Gumbet and had a great time but transfer time is about 4 hours. turkey is lovely

Please
or

codswallop · 11/06/2003 21:10

try www.holidays-uncovered.com

Please
or

Demented · 12/06/2003 14:48

caydeb I believe they now have a new airport which is near Bodrum/Gumbet, we did the four hour transfer too, not nice.

Please
or

Ailsa · 12/06/2003 22:11

Yes there is a new airport, we flew into it last summer. It's about a 45min transfer from airport to Bodrum/Gumbet. On the way home, make sure you take some drinks and food to the airport with you, it's the most expensive airport I have ever been in.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?