Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Holiday Parks in Somerset

11 replies

misty · 05/06/2003 12:04

Could anyone recommend a good holiday park in Somerset? Have been looking at various websites for availabilty (23rd June) and found Hoseasons Brean Sands or Haven Doniford Bay - has anyone been to either of these? You know what it is like looking at these sites, you don't always get all of the story!! we've got 2 little 'uns - ds's 6yo and 16mths - so family fun is a must! Any ideas/help would be much appreciated.

OP posts:
Please
or

caydeb · 10/06/2003 18:22

used to work at brean sands but this was a long time ago and it was nice and friendly also the are itself is great.

Please
or

leese · 10/06/2003 18:30

What about Butlins at Minehead? Is this too far?

Please
or

misty · 10/06/2003 23:27

leese, didn't want to go to Butlins after some bad experiences of friends etc, but think this was because they stayed in the budget rooms there. Have you been to the one in Minehead?
Caydeb, did you work in a holiday park?

OP posts:
Please
or

beetroot · 11/06/2003 07:33

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

Please
or

mands1 · 11/06/2003 08:01

Misty Butlins is brill for kids they love it though I wouldn't recomed the standard accom. Got go at least Silver.

They are doing 1/2 price hols in June if you can get away that quick Bargin!!!!

(I've been there a few times just don't tell anyone )

Please
or

leese · 11/06/2003 13:48

misty - I've always been dead against Butlins - my idea of holiday hell. Anyhow, my sister booked to go in May with her two boys (2 and 4), and my mum. They upgraded to silver accomodation, which had two bedrooms, and a bath rather than shower. Went for a week, so midweek I decided to drive to see them for the day (we live in Bristol, so not too far) - felt I could just about manage that!
Well, have to say it was great for the kids! SO much to do for all ages - activities all the time. Pool complex was absolutely brilliant - lovely 'beach' type bit which dd (2) loved sitting in whilst waves lapped her legs, and another area for little ones with shallow water and 'rock pool' type effects. I was converted! Dd loved it - just so much for them all to do there.
The accomodation was basic - nothing fancy. However, very child friendly as you may imagine - windows at child level, which my nephews loved hanging out of to feed the ducks in the area. Self catering suited them, as they ate what and when they wanted - lots of the food outlets are very 'fast' food oriented - not sure what the actual restaurant for half boarders was like. Would definitely agree about not boooking anything less than silver standard - some of the standard accomodation looked very ropey - thought the silver was basic enough! Really only used the chalet as a place to sleep tho' - out all day. Minehead itself a pretty town. Steam train rides also available from Minehead to Taunton (stopping many places en route) - Dunster lovely.

Please
or

caydeb · 11/06/2003 21:08

worked both in the holiday park and fish n chip shops. but like I said was a long time ago

Please
or

misty · 13/06/2003 23:26

thanks for everyone's advice! I wasn't deliberately looking for butlins type holidays but to be honest we stayed at an Aunt's cottage in Devon last year and whilst that was lovely, the weather was not and we spent a fortune visiting these indoor kids places just for something to do. Anyway we have booked with Pontins at Brean Sands and have got the best chalet we can - Club - so hopefully won't be too bad. It means that if the weather is c*'p we have entertainment on our doorstep! Will post again after we have been (23rd June) so anyone else can get some info!

OP posts:
Please
or

misty · 29/06/2003 01:00

We're back! And had a nice time as well.... Chalets are a bit dated but ours (Club) was very clean. The centre itself was good - again a bit dated, but enough to occupy ds aged 6 and to a degree ds2 aged 17mths such as outdoor & indoor climbing activity things, swimming pool, hire of gocarts, leisure zone with table tennis, crazy golf and evening entertainment starting at 7 with bingo (which we won!) then meeting the 'Pontins Gang' which both ds's loved followed by some adult type entertainment e.g comedian etc which we didn't stay for as 9pm by this time! Centre is a 5 min walk from the beach so we did that for a couple of days as the weather was fab. I went thinking it would be awful, and actually ended up having a lovely time.

OP posts:
Please
or

mands1 · 29/06/2003 07:54

Glad you had a great time

let the good times rolllllllllll

Please
or

robinw · 29/06/2003 08:03

message withdrawn

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?