Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

New York would I be mad to take a 6yr old and 3 year old?

6 replies

Rhiannon · 17/06/2001 20:36

Me again, you can probably tell I don't have any holidays booked as I'm exploring all options as usual.

Since Continental are now flying to New York out of Stansted for a reasonable fair we're now thinking of going. Flying into Newark and having a wander about for a week or so just after Xmas.

Never been to NY before but love the USA all round, will we be able to entertain them without tearing our hair out?

Any hotels that offer babysitting or that are reasonably child friendly?

OP posts:
Please
or

Suew · 18/06/2001 00:35

Oh yes, take them!

I can recommend Lyden Gardens Suite Hotel on E64th between 2nd and 3rd Aves. I stayed there with my MIL and almost 3yo when we went almost two years ago. It's not too far from Central Park and only a couple of blocks from the nearest subway, which is at Bloomingdales, IIRC.

The room we had at Lyden Gdns had two queen size beds, a sofa bed and a kitchen. There was a 24 hour deli across the road so even though we arrived at almost midnight, we could nip out and stack up with provisions.

No restaurant in the hotel but eateries are close by and they provide a list of places which will deliver.A copy oFrommers New York City with Kids is helpful - no just for the ideas it gives but also cos it has these great maps which show where the nearest child-friendly restaurant is!

Booking flights and hotels independently worked out cheaper for us. The travel agents wanted 2400 for a 4 night trip (800 per person) and gave only a 30 discount for my daughter. Booking direct it cost us about 1500 exc spending money I think

We were there from late Thursday to Monday evening. We did a bus tour, a boat tour, the Empire State building, clothes shopping, a full day in Central Park where we met up with a friend who lives in CT and her two children.

We didn't bother with the Statue of Liberty - it seemed highly impractical with a young child and 800 or so steps to climb, as well as a possible two hour wait to do so.

We made a list of things we wanted to do which included some silly stuff e.g. eat apple pie in the Big Apple, grab a hot dog from a street vendor a I still haven't achieved all of them in spite of having returned.

We did the Bronx Zoo on another trip, in November 1999. It all depends how you feel about zoos. I don't particularly like them but I do like my daughter to see the animals and mostly we saw moose and bison just grazing in fields. A lot of it was closed.

I am still desperate to return again - I have to do Christmas Shopping and ice-skating etc.

Do Continental still flight-share with Virgin? Will you get a Virgin flight, perhaps?

I could write forever about this - I love NYC and one of the worst things about Australia is that it's so far away!

Please
or

Janh · 18/06/2001 09:01

rhiannon, i'm not sure just after christmas is a good time to go - we lived in NY for 3 years and the weather can be seriously unpleasant midwinter...

Please
or

Rhiannon · 18/06/2001 18:51

Suew, I hope you're talking in Aus.dollars not £'s as we've been quoted £265 for flights. I don't think it's anything to do with Virgin as I don't think they fly out of Stansted.

I thought I might ask my Mum if she'll take the children for a few days while we go, but in case she says no or says yes and changes her mind (which she is prone to do) please keep posting the advice.

OP posts:
Please
or

Rhiannon · 18/06/2001 18:54

Janh, I know what you mean, we froze our ar*es off in Florida last Christmas and we met some people from Chicago who said it was under 3 feet of snow back home!

OP posts:
Please
or

Suew · 18/06/2001 23:44

Rhiannon - I meant total cost of trip and yes in UK pounds to go first weekend of September two years ago.

Flights were around £200 each for MIL and me. Daughter was 66% of that I think. So around £550 on flights. Hotel room was around £150-180 per night (Th, Fr, Sa, Su) I think. That was room price, not per person. Plus train fare to and from LHR and cab fare to and from JFK.

Booking from one of those 'City Weekend' brochures would have cost us £2400 with the measly 30 quid discount for child place and would only have given budget-mid-range accommodation.

I did the flights through expedia and the hotel was a recommendation through an email friend who visits NYC regularly with her two children and I booked over the phone. If you like I can email said friend and see if she has ever used a babysitting service there.

Another possibility for accommodation is Foxtons Worldwide which lists serviced apartments all over the world. We got our first accommodation in Melbourne through this service.

Please
or

Janh · 19/06/2001 08:55

rhiannon, i think you were unlucky with florida - it's where new yorkers etc usually go in the winter if they can (snowbirds!) but they had an exceptionally bad winter last year - it happens occasionally - they have to burn heaters in the orange groves!
spring and autumn are the best times for NY - april/may and sept/oct. fares are higher than mid winter but still low-ish. if i had the choice - and the money! - i'd go may or late september.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?