Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

holiday in Suffolk

2 replies

Bee · 14/06/2001 09:48

We are going away to a cottage in Suffolk in August and would love any tips on good routes from West London( the quickest!) and also for activities when we arrive. We have a 4year old and a 6month old. The cottage is in Westleton, 2 miles from Walberswick near Southwold. Many thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

Bugsy · 14/06/2001 14:18

Hi Bee
My MIL lives in Suffolk and we stay in a B&B in Southwold when we go to visit. We live in South West London and I can honestly say that getting there is always a pain. If you are travelling at the weekend my tip would be to leave as early as you possibly can in the morning. All the seaside towns are worth visiting and the beaches are lovely if the weather is dry. The towns are all quite slow and sleepy, although probably less so in August. You can go boating, donkey riding, bird watching (Minsmere) etc.
In Southwold itself there is a little museum with a model railway your 4 yr old might enjoy. Also, there is a Tourist Office in Southwold which could be worth popping into to see if there are any local fairs etc.
Walberswick & Aldeburgh are well worth a visit.
I think you will have a great time and so will the kids.

Please
or

Rhiannon · 14/06/2001 18:40

Southwold is lovely, I think I'd describe it as quaint. There are no amusement arcades, no kiss me quick hats etc. Old fashioned shops, a brewery and a lighthouse. You could try hiring a beach hut from the council, they all look lovely.

We went to Snape Maltings (nice gift shop - bought a few unusual pressies for Christmas!!).

Aldeburgh is nice but very pebbly and a bit of a struggle down to the beach with a pushchair but another nice town with fairly upmarket shops (which all close between 1 and 2pm for lunch which I thought was hilarious).

Hope the sun shines for you.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?