Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Amusing a 1 year old in a villa in Italy

8 replies

Nella · 07/05/2003 15:17

I am currently regretting my choice of a holiday in a self catering villa in Italy in the middle of nowhere! Trips out will be limited to fit around naps as she no longer sleeps in her buggy and she dislikes being in it for very long. She is just starting to walk but can't do it well. How am I going to keep her amused without the standbys of all her toys and TV? Any suggestions of things to take/ things to do? I wish I had gone for the beach holiday with kids club!

OP posts:
Please
or

tinyfeet · 07/05/2003 15:52

We are also renting a villa but not until September when DD will be 18 months. My DD who is 14 months now loves to be outside, so I would just suggest that you spend as much time outside as possible, weather-permitting.

Please
or

Jaybee · 07/05/2003 15:58

Nella - took ds to a similar place in France the day after he was 1 - he fitted around us - usually slept in the car either to or from wherever we were going - only take a few toys, I always think inflatables are good as they pack up small - maybe a paddling pool and beach ball. Stacking cups are always handy - we used to have square ones as they don't roll around a plane or car (also handy for hairwashing too).

Please
or

JanZ · 07/05/2003 16:48

We went to Skiathos for a week when ds was nearly one and even without childcare had a relaxing time.

Try getting/taking a back pack - you never know, she might actually fall asleep in that with the rocking motion of walking. And even if she doesn't, at least you're getting out!

We took one of the ones with a frame (I can't remember which make as we bought it 2nd hand but like the Kelty Kids, GS90 or Karrimor Papoose on the Best Buys here), which worked well as if ds (nearly 1) went to sleep we could take him off dh's back and leave him "propped up".

Take the buggy with you when you go to markets etc - at least you'll have it for when she gets tired, and until then, it can be used to carry provisions from the market!

Get a pop up sun tent and then she can play in it with some books and stacking cups. With any luck she'll have some naps in there as well, which might give you some time to relax!

We're thinking of taking a villa later this year - we actually missed having the time with ds last year, when we were on a dingy sailing holiday and ds (then 2) was in the kiddies' club.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves!

Please
or

crystaltips · 07/05/2003 17:24

My DS love filling up a paddling ppol with water from the hose pipe. Then after the sun had warmed it up - it was his very own swimming pool.
( Easily pleased )

Please
or

tamum · 07/05/2003 18:22

We did the same thing when my ds was about 20 months. Assuming your dd is able to walk a bit more by the time you go, she will probably love what my ds loved: go to any town with a big car-free piazza, sit down at a cafe table and let your dd stagger about to her heart's content. My ds just loved the sense of so much space, Siena was ideal. The other things worth taking or buying there are bubble mixture and maybe balloons. The paddling pool idea was great, too, especially with a few bath toys. I'm sure you'll have a lovely time.

Please
or

SofiaAmes · 07/05/2003 23:26

Buy everything there! except swimming nappies...they are just becoming available in Italy and only in big cities. We go frequently to Italy both to my parents' villa in the countryside and to the seaside. I prefer the seaside, but have always enjoyed the villa too. When you go into town, the streets will probably be cobblestones which I found always put ds straight to sleep in his buggy. The italians adore children, so be prepared for lots of help and attention in restaurants, stores, etc.

Please
or

LIZS · 08/05/2003 11:12

Would agree with paddling pool idea (you can get some compact ones in the discount/£ stores), if stacking cups have holes in like Ikea ones then they can double as water toys, our set also has a shape sorter, also a ball either small foam or inflatable type (light and cause less damage indoors).For ds' 1st trip abroad we also bought a couple of fabric books from Boots with activity bits and noises which can squash into luggage.

If you take anything with "bits" make sure you count up before you go so that you don't lose any!

You may find with the warmer climate and travelling that your dd's sleeping pattern may change anyway and perhaps you can take advantage of this to go out earlier or later in the day when it will be cooler.

Please
or

whymummy · 08/05/2003 11:54

hi nella,my motto: dont let children rule your life specially on holiday we all need a break,no many 1 year olds like to be in the pushchair as its so much fun walking,i agree with janz about the back pack,my son hated the pushchair but loved the backpack we also took the pushchair for when he`d fallen asleep on the backpack,hope you have a really nice time

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?