Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

travel cots - query

8 replies

OldieMum · 06/05/2003 15:22

My dd is four months old and has just started spending the night in her cot. I want to buy a travel cot for her to nap in when she is at my mother's house. Could any of you tell me whether travel cots differ much in design and what I should look out for? Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

elliott · 06/05/2003 15:53

Most of the ones I've seen look fundamentally very similar - personally I would just go for the cheapest and smallest (lightest) - you can get a Graco one from Argos which is quite compact for about £50.

Please
or

LIZS · 06/05/2003 15:55

Don't think there is a huge difference. Older style ones kind of concertina together and are larger but flatter when folded. The Graco and similar have a pull up and fold together action which makes a long rectangular box shape to store (releasing all the latches on the bars is a bit of an art form though).

We found one (Graco) on offer in Toys r Us which happened also to include a bassinette (never used). Check things like thickness of mattress and material of its cover, especially if you are likely to use it in warmer climates where you don't want a hot,sweaty baby, weight (especially if you plan to take it on a plane) and sturdiness when up. "Curtains" for the mesh sides to block out unnecessary light are a good idea, as are carry handle/wheels. Things have advanced a lot since we bought ours so it probably depends on how much the extra gizmos appeal to you.

For ds we mainly used it as a playpen but dd has slept quite happily in it when we have visitors.

Shortly after we bought ours (and had used it) I won one which, although the cheapest in the range(around £40 in Argos), was lighter and folded better than ours - SIL got a good deal!

Please
or

OldieMum · 06/05/2003 15:57

Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

JaneyT · 07/05/2003 10:52

I agree with Elliott - we bought the cheapest for our first dd to sleep in at my mum's, as the more expensive ones - with basinettes etc, we didn't think would be utilised as my mum had a changing mat etc.

Please
or

Claireandrich · 08/05/2003 09:18

We got the cheapest from Mothercare as we didn't think we'd use it much. They all seemed so similar anyway - all of them pretty heavy too! Works great - used it fir a week on holiday when she was 13 weeks - and had no problems. However, we don't use it that much at all. When we have stayed over it's normally just for a night or so, so DD just comes in with us - easier than trying fit everything in the car boot.

Please
or

PopsP · 21/05/2003 22:59

We bought a basic Gracco one from Toys R Us, I got a £10 off voucher from one of their mailings, so it was quite a bargin. However the day after we used it for the first time I noticed that Blooming Marvellous do a new type that is supposed to be lighter / smaller etc. It might be worth a look at their website.

Please
or

griffy · 21/05/2003 23:53

I bought a cheap Graco one a couple of years ago - it was on special offer on the net because it was the previous year's design. (Like baby's gonna care!).

It was quite a big one, which was lucky because, in hindsight, I'd have bought the largest one we could find - since we only really used it a few times as a travel cot (still do - but rarely travel), but it spent about a year in use as a playpen. DS particularly liked it when we filled it with balls and cushions by the time he was 2. He would hurl himself about in it for ages.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 22/05/2003 07:33

I never thought of filling our travel cot with balls!!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?