Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Car seats query

8 replies

Bradbox · 19/04/2003 11:59

We have a 1.5 year old and last week we had twins. Does anyone have advice for which cars can safely have 3 car seats in the back?

We currently have an Alfa Romeo which is great, because you can turn off the passenger air bag. What other manufacturers have a similar feature?

OP posts:
Please
or

miriamw · 19/04/2003 12:57

Congratulations on the twins!
If you order new, then quite a few manufacturers can turn off the passenger airbag. We have a Mazda and have had to get a special car seat which deactivates the passenger airbag (which I belive Mercedes also use). Recent Peugeot models have a switch as do Renault I believe. With Ford and VW we would have had to order new and get the airbags deactivated for good.
Sorry - can't help on the 3 car seat issue - one I'm hoping not to face!

Please
or

Claireandrich · 19/04/2003 21:25

You can turn the airbag off with a button in an Audi too.

Can't help with the 3 seats in the back though - sorry. Maybe some the other people carriers can fit them; maybe something like the Fiat Multipla?

Congratulations and welcome to the twins.

Please
or

ralph · 19/04/2003 22:08

Congratulations!
We have a VW sharan and have 3 car seats on the middle row of seats, which works really well.
Also the sharan has a massive boot for all the buggies and shopping, we can easily fit in our double buggy and single buggy together.

Please
or

judetheobscure · 19/04/2003 22:26

Well, our Renault Espace can fit three seats in the middle row and I should imagine all the people carriers can do this. Also distinctly recall having three children in the back of a Vauxhall Nova, two in normal carseats and one on a booster seat - so I'm sure there would be many cars that could do the three carseat job.
Renault Espace airbags can't be turned off - at least that's what our dealer said.

Please
or

carriemac · 20/04/2003 08:41

We had twims when ds was 2, we bought a Rennault Senic which fits 3 car seats in the back, good boot space too.

Please
or

edgarcat · 20/04/2003 10:49

Message withdrawn

Please
or

Molecule · 20/04/2003 23:11

We have a Fiat Multipla, and can fit 3 car seats in the back, with plenty of room. The air bag can also be de-activated quite easily. Altogether a very well thought out car, boot space quite adequate for shopping/dogs etc, easy to park as it's so short, but be warned; other Mutipla drivers always wave/flash lights which makes DH cringe. I think it's a small price to pay for transporting 6 of us in comfort.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 21/04/2003 08:38

You can fit 3 car seats in the back of a Laguna - the middle belt is a proper 3 point one. Ours is a 2001 version and you can NOT turn off the front passenger air bag. I think you can opt not to have one if buying from new though so some 2nd hand ones may not have them. Our older Laguna doen't have a passenger airbag but you can still put 3 seats across the back as the center one is again the full 3 point belt.

Stacks of boot space in both versions - enough for a stroller, pushchair, a set of golf clubs and a golf trolley and still a bit of space for shopping

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?