Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Travel Advice

8 replies

dizzydee51 · 10/04/2003 12:20

I need advice on 4 Teenagers aged 18 years old. They want to go abroad for 2 weeks in July not somewhere too hot. One of the girls suffer from Sun Stroke and burning. They want somewhere that offers nightlife and great Architecure. Can you please come up with a couple of Suggestions.

OP posts:
Please
or

bossykate · 10/04/2003 12:41

what about iceland? i've heard rekjavik (sp?) is rather picturesque with excellent nightlife. there would also be an adventure/outdoor element to the holiday. or how about scandinavia? or the baltic states? or eastern europe, e.g. prague, budapest, st petersburg? or ireland, great nightlife and georgian architecture in dublin, plus fantastic scenery and beaches not far away? hth.

Please
or

Meanmum · 10/04/2003 13:09

Turkey's hot but is fantastic for history (not quite architecture I know). In respect for their religion you should walk around covered if you are female. Great night life, loads of men to swoon over them without being too pushy. I always found they took no for an answer but flattered you profusely for the night anyway. Great food as well.

I like all of bossykate's ideas as they all have wonderful nightlife and architecture.

Please
or

Bugsy · 10/04/2003 13:58

Copenhagen
Dublin
Edinburgh
Berlin
St Petersburg
Geneva
Amsterdam
Brussels
Lots of these cities have nearby campsites and great youth hostels

Please
or

Meanmum · 10/04/2003 14:04

Alaska. Too far and too expensive maybe but there is a huge difference in the ratio between men and women. Far more men than women.

They don't see sunlight for six months of the year (some areas),

Please
or

valleygirl · 10/04/2003 14:42

How about travelling to Green Spain (Asturias/Cantabrica/Galicia - Norther Coast of Spain) flights to Bilbao with Easyjet - great coastline, but not anywhere near as hot as the south/rest of Spain. Great walking in the Picos de Europas, great architecture in Salamanca/Santander/Oviedo/Santiago de Compestella. Good food, Gugenheim museum in Bilbao, and as it's Spain the nigthlife will be good everywhere, especially in the summer months I would say. Bound to be some fiesta somewhere or another in July!

Please
or

SueW · 10/04/2003 20:20

Bossykate - did you see that Holiday Swap prog a few weeks ago where they swapped the party-hungry girls planning to go to Mexico and live it up 18-30 with the three girls who were going to Iceland?

The party-girls ended up loving Iceland but they couldn't find any parties and complained bitterly about the price of alcohol. However they had some fabulous, prob uniquely Icelandic experiences.

Please
or

bossykate · 10/04/2003 20:55

suew, no i didn't see it. have heard reykjavik is a real party town... but yes, i suppose the alcohol would be expensive... how did the iceland bound girls like mexico?

valleygirl, green spain, yes! top idea!

Please
or

SueW · 10/04/2003 21:21

The Iceland-bound girls found it difficult to settle in IIRC to start with but it ended up with the two who were least good friends discovering new depths to their friendship as the third (the one who sort of bridged the three IYSWIM) ducked out of some of the organised trips including an overnight in a jungle. I think she found herself a man.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?