Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Anyone been to La Rochelle in France - recommendations

15 replies

Tillysmummy · 09/04/2003 11:59

Has anyone been to the La Rochelle in France ? Im not sure the area it's in I think it's the Atlantic Coast area. I saw it on a holiday program and liked it a lot.

Im looking for a recommendation for a villa in this area or another nice area if anyone has any suggestions. We want a 3 or 4 bed villa / cottage far enough down to get good weather, somewhere near a village with restaurants / shops and must have a swimming pool. Anyone got any suggestions ?We stayed in a gorgeous place in Rousillon in Vaucluse a couple of years ago but the villa had steep steps and wasn't very baby friendly.

OP posts:
Please
or

Lindy · 09/04/2003 12:15

We stayed in Ile de Re last year which is a small island just off La Rochelle - it was lovely. La Rochelle itself is very nice, but quite a big 'city' you may prefer something a little smaller. We've just booked for this year, in the Dordogne, with 'Advantage France', think its part of 'Cresta France' which seems to have a lot of villas - all look very nice.

Please
or

We stayed in Ile de Re last year which is a small island just off La Rochelle - it was lovely. La Rochelle itself is very nice, but quite a big 'city' you may prefer something a little smaller. We've just booked for this year, in the Dordogne, with 'Advantage France', think its part of 'Cresta France' which seems to have a lot of villas - all look very nice.

Please
or

sorry!

Please
or

Tillysmummy · 09/04/2003 13:29

Lindy thanks for that, do you have a web link ? I'll take a look. I do remember Ile de Re and you are as star because dh and I were trying to remember the name of the small island and couldn't remember ! Any recommendation on accommodation there ?

OP posts:
Please
or

Bobbins · 09/04/2003 13:31

I stayed there twice, we were camping though. Ile de Re is lovely, but watch out for the jellyfish.

Please
or

Tillysmummy · 09/04/2003 14:07

Oh no thats scary. So no sea with dd then ?

OP posts:
Please
or

Lindy · 09/04/2003 14:12

The web site is www.crestaonline.co.uk (haven't used it myself as I am so useless at that sort of thing that we went through a travel agent!); we camped on the Ile de Re at Eurocamp - just looked through the brochure but there only seems to be one set of apartments to rent on Ile de Re rather than a villa, perhaps the website will be more helpful. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Please
or

Lindy · 09/04/2003 14:14

PS we didn't notice any jellyfish - fabulous wide, sandy beaches, I think our DS is similar in age to your DD - 2? He had a wonderful time there.

Please
or

Bron · 09/04/2003 20:42

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

CAM · 10/04/2003 14:49

Bron we "discovered" the Isle d'Oleron a couple of years ago. Spent every day at St Denis on the beach. What a fab place.

Please
or

layla · 11/04/2003 12:40

Is this lovely sounding island in the Vendee region?This summer we'll be staying in a gite near St Jean de Mont.I wondered if anyone who knows it can tell me what is around there nice to visit and which are the child friendly beaches around there?

Please
or

hmb · 11/04/2003 12:42

Layla we are going to a campsite near St Jean de Mont this year. There is a good guide book on the Vendee that you can get from Amazon

Please
or

layla · 11/04/2003 12:53

Thanks Hmb,we left it up to the inlaws to find a book and they say they couldn't find one so I must get it.I heard Jean de Mont gets packed in the summer-we're going at a very busy time,and for 2 weeks this time.So plenty of time to explore.

Please
or

StuartC · 11/04/2003 15:48

A slightly amended answer I gave to an earlier enquirer......
There's a good book which details La Rochelle and the area to the north including St Jean de Monts. There?s no information about the region south of La Rochelle. The book?s called 'The Vendée' by Angela Bird, £9ish (there?s also her excellent website ).
There?s also the reliable Michelin Tourist Guide (Green book) £10ish. You?ll have to see the map on each of two editions to know whether you need the ?Atlantic Coast? or the ?Poitou Vendee Charentes? version. (Do check that they sell you the English language edition ? some places stock the French version.)
We were there in 2001 and the weather was terrible - but it was an exceptionally bad August throughout the whole continent - many central Europe places flooded.
The good news is the sunshine record is similar to the south of France - the bad news is that if it does rain there's nothing to do. The only suggestions in 'The Vendée' are to go "inland..." (which is a long way) "...to museums, junk shops, restaurants and shopping centres less overwhelmed with other dripping campers".
Everything is based on good weather - which statistically I'm sure you'll have. I hope you've air conditioning in your car - you'll be thankful for it.
Another website (in French) www.vendee.com

Please
or

layla · 11/04/2003 16:15

Thanks StuartC,and for the link which I will check out later after I've cooked the tea.It's the first time I've been down that far and I've been told there are lots of lovely beaches.Last year we went near Benodet which the kids loved with all the expensive play equipment on.We've never heard the end of Benodet so hoping for some more great beaches to wow them with this time.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?