My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Holidays

Activities for children in/around Abersoch,Wales

4 replies

chatee · 06/04/2003 08:30

We are going on a caravan holiday to Abersoch, Wales during May with our dd age 2 yrs 9 months who has cerebral palsy and therefore walking difficulties.I would appreciate any "local" knowledge to ensure the trip is a success.Any journeys out further afield are welcome....also any good pub/restaurants suggestions as my mother and father will be with us at some stage and they are babysitting to give dh and I some time together......thanks in advance everyone.

OP posts:
valleygirl · 07/04/2003 11:35

Hi
i grew up just down the road from Abersoch - and I think it's a really lovely village. Lots of little cafes and restaurants to eat out in, a fair number of lively pubs too. The beaches on the Llyn Penninsula are really lovely, and if the weather is good you'll be spoilt for choice -some of the best being Abersoch itself (though it does have sand dunes to get past if you go to the Warren Beach - which is the nicest I think), Llanbedrog Beach, Aberdaron Beach (at the very tip of the headland), Whistling Sands and try and see the lovely little village of Porth Dinllaen, where there is a great pub called Ty Coch (The Red House)right on the sand, and has a life boat too. Bit of a steep walk down, but only takes 2-3 minutes.
Close to Abersoch you've got Pwllheli which has a little "fun-fair" on the main square if your daughter would like that kind of thing, and it also has a leisure centre with a kiddies pool if the weather's grim (and a high chance of that in that part of Wales I'm afraid) - also has a cinema if you and dh want to get out one night.
I don't know if pony trekking is an option, but loads of that around on the Llyn. Every summer we used to go out from Abersoch on local fishing boats over to St Tudwals' Island off Abersoch - though not sure if your daughter might be too young.
Caernarfon Castle I think is a must, though gettign up some of the turrets might be difficuls for your daughter. For a smaller castle closer by, try Criccieth - and the ice-cream shop in that town (Cadwaladers) is the best ice cream in the UK.
How about the Ffestiniog Steam Railway from Porthmadoc? or go up Snowdon on the train? If you're in that part of the country you could visit Portmeirion, where the Prisoner was filmed, but worth a visit even if the programme is of no interest, as the village is really lovely, and stunning views of the surrounding bays. Also has a nice cafe/restaurant.
Llanbedrog has an Indian Restaurant, and there's a really nice little cafe at Plas Glyn y Weddw (which is also an art gallery) in Llanbedrog. If you and dh want a really good meal then try Plas Bodegroes, on the road between Nefyn and Pwllheli, which is a Michelin Star Restaurant.
The Llyn Penninsula is really pretty, and I'm sure even if the weather is not great you'll have a lovely time!
HTH

chatee · 07/04/2003 15:14

thanks for that info valleygirl my Dad was relly interested in some as he was evacuated to Nefyn during the war.Love the idea of pony trekking dd has never tried it before but we have thought for a while it might be good for her" as she would be equal to the other children".Am looking forward to planning our week for dd and nice meals fo dh and I.Again many thanks....

OP posts:
valleygirl · 11/04/2003 15:40

my parents live in Nefyn now - small world!!
hpe you have a lovely time, glad the info was of use!

SamboM · 11/04/2003 15:44

Went on holiday there a couple of years ago, it's gorgeous round there.

The beach at Morfa Nefyn is really lovely.

Also you could visit Portmerion which is very interesting, it's an italianate sort of folly village.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.