Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Packing list

9 replies

Willsmum · 03/05/2001 20:21

Am flying to Canada with a two year old, next week. Think that I have remembered everything but what might I have forgotten? Help please!!

If anyone knows of any websites with comprehensive lists, that would be helpful, otherwise any other tips would be great.

OP posts:
Please
or

Rhiannon · 04/05/2001 10:41

I'm packing too! Couple of beakers, plastic mac, favourite blanket/toy, sachets of Calpol if he/she knows and likes the taste. Change of tshirt for the plane as I find they get very grubby. Hope this is useful.

Please
or

Suew · 04/05/2001 23:41

If you are flying without your partner you might want to take some evidence that your partner has given you permission to tkae your child out of the country.

I was asked for my 'Notarised Letter of Authority' from my husband when I landed at Ottawa airport last year. I was furious as there is nothing mentioned on their website (Immigration Canada) and I have already travelled to US, NZ and various other places with our daughter but without my hubby.

Anyway, after questioning my reluctant then 3yo and managing to ascertain that in fact daddy had waved us off and would be coming to see us soon, the immigration officer stamped us through but warned us to carry such a letter in future.

Have a great holiday anyway - I love Canada.

Please
or

Willsmum · 05/05/2001 07:40

Thanks for the ideas. We love Canada too and are looking forward to our trip. Am surrounded by softsided bags at the moment, trying to decide what we really can't manage without on the flight and what can be relgated to the hold.

Any more inspiration anyone?

OP posts:
Please
or

Eulalia · 05/05/2001 08:31

Do you have all the relevant medicines to hand? Apart from the usual Calpol - things like insect bite cream for example. Also you can buy rehydration sachets from the chemist in case of stomach upsets (although these aren't necessary if you are breastfeeding).

Keep the amount of stuff for the plane to a minimum and have it in a separate smaller bag with lots of pockets - one that you can put under the seat in front is ideal.

Several layers of loose cotton clothing is best as often planes can be stuffy. Snacks such as UHT deserts (Campina are a good brand) and a small container of cereal such as Cheerios are useful in case he/she doesn't want the food on the plane.

Please
or

Rhiannon · 05/05/2001 14:40

Get lots of little bits and pieces to take on the plane to play with. I buy bits from Boot Sales so it doesn't matter if it all gets lost in or under the seats. We then get things out every hour or so to keep them amused. Little action figure men, farm animals, necklace set, crayons, comb and mirror, drawing pad and pens, tiny dolls and books.

Please
or

Suew · 05/05/2001 22:46

Places you might find useful info:

Babygoes2

Air Travel with kids FAQ from misc.kids

Travel with Kids Tips

Family Travel

Personally I've never gone a bundle on the lots of small wrapped gifts but everyone knows their child best. We usually take
some paper, crayons, glue stick and scissors
story books
teddy bear
alphabet playing cards from ELC (good for pairs or snap)
drinking bottle of water
face paint crayons for when she has to stay in her seat e.g seat belt light on - sometimes looks like tattoed lady when she gets off!

If I remember any more I'll post again. Excellent kids' luggage available from Urchin. Expensive but looks excellent. My daughter has had something similar since she was about 2yo and the great thing is that it turns from backpack to wheels.

Please
or

Ailsa · 09/05/2001 22:06

Found a new website address from my local evening newspaper, I've just had a look at it and there's loads of info and a shopping site.

www.travellingwithchildren.co.uk

Please
or

Willsmum · 10/05/2001 20:23

Thank you for the suggestions.
www.family-travel.co.uk was a particularly helpful site and gave me a printable checklist that I could use and tick things off as I packed. Now all I have to do is wrap a few small toys for my toddler to unwrap on the plane to keep him busy!

I will come back to you after the trip to tell you all how things went. In the meantime, does anyone else have any other useful sites or ideas?

OP posts:
Please
or

Willsmum · 30/05/2001 20:55

Am back and had a lovely time. Good tip was to get the steward/ess to come round and tell your child that it was really important to keep the seatbelt fastened. Although my son is good and will do what I tell him, it helped to be able to remind him that the lady in the uniform had told us that we had to sit down in our chair and keep the seatbelt on.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?