Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Living in New Zealand

49 replies

Britabroad · 31/03/2003 03:18

Hi, have recently moved to Auckland and wonder if anyone else has any connections here or would like tips about living or holidaying here?

OP posts:
Please
or

slug · 31/03/2003 09:43

I'm a kiwi in London, what do you need to know?

Please
or

Britabroad · 20/04/2003 13:16

Took my youngest to playcentre last week and leader said about going on courses and how we would plan activities. The topic at the moment was"food". I said "oh like tasting different foods from around world and potato prints etc". She and 2 others were horrified.Said I was not being culturally sensetive, food was sacred to Maouris and some people could not afford food, hadnt I heard of the Treaty. I felt awfull. I am not racist(as I feel some of them are to Asians in playcentre). I am feeling very conscious of what they fell about it all. Should I go back its my only local playcentre and I wanted to make some friends there?

OP posts:
Please
or

Ghosty · 20/04/2003 21:37

Hi Britabroad ... only just found this ... I am in Auckland too ... and I am a Brit - been here a year ... where abouts are you?
I decided against doing playcentre as it seems too much like hard work for me ... I spent my working life teaching in the UK and to be honest I can't be doing with all those courses etc. Also teaching preschoolers doesn't appeal to me ... never has ...
How old are your children? My DS is 3.5 and he is about to start afternoon Kindy ... at the moment he goes to a private kindy 2 afternoons a week ... He has swimming lessons once a week, and we go to a playgroup once a week which is good fun. Have you rung Plunket? Local groups organise coffee groups for new mums and for mums new to an area.
Post back and let me know where you are and maybe we can hook up ...

Please
or

Ghosty · 21/04/2003 00:34

Me again ... just thought I would put this at the top of the list while everyone is beginning to slow down for the night ... as it is daytime here you might see it Britabroad ... Are you there?

Please
or

sibble · 21/04/2003 09:08

Hi
I am also living in the Auckland area. I have been here since Septmeber and am finding it quite hard without family and friends. I have a little boy of 3 who goes to preschool 3 mornings per week and on the remainder we go to playgroup, swimming, to the beach, for walks etc. Have also decided against playcentre, having been a nurse for enough years not to want to do more courses. I also really enjoy my sanity breaks without him as much as I love him!
Would be good to touch base or maybe catch up.

Please
or

emsiewill · 21/04/2003 09:34

Sorry to butt in here, and I'm just being nosy, but what are these "playcentres" doesn't sound like anything we have here in the UK. Hope you don't mind me being so nosy (also aware that you may all be in bed by now!)

Please
or

Ghosty · 21/04/2003 11:03

Hi Sibble ... welcome to Mumsnet
Whereabouts are you in Auckland? I have been here for just over a year and although it has been quite hard at times I really enjoy being here. My little boy is 3 aswell so maybe it would be good to meet up?????
Emsiewill ... Playcentre is an organisation which is specifically aimed at Preschool age children. Don't know that much about it really but basically you go along with your child and become heavily involved in the 'teaching' side of things. You have to go on course on Early Years Education and stuff like that ... please, anyone feel free to contradict me if I am wrong ... like I say I haven't looked that deeply into it. I just know it isn't for me as I do stuff like drawing and painting etc with my son at home and he has years ahead of him of 'education' and I have had years of teaching behind me and TBH I don't really fancy the commitment that it requires. It is very popular here and some people that I know love it ... but then again some people I know are like me and say it is not for them. I think there might be a website if you are interested ... will look into it if you like.
As for being in bed ... we are 11 hours ahead of you at the moment so now it is 10pm ... so I am not that far off going night night!!!!

Please
or

Ghosty · 21/04/2003 11:18

Emsiewill ... the playcentre site is here ... if you are interested in knowing more ...

Please
or

emsiewill · 21/04/2003 12:33

Thanks for the link Ghosty, sounds quite interesting - but also hard work. Brilliant for parents like my brother and sil who want to home-ed - to give them more ideas etc without comitting to a "formal" education. (But don't think it would be for me - I'm not great at playing with my children) Wonder why it's never come over here, or anywhere else.

Please
or

sibble · 21/04/2003 20:55

Hi Ghostie
We are in Whitford, a short hop from town when you are used to travelling in and around London, but the equivalent to the Outer Hebrides by Auckland standards. People bring picnics and turn up for the whole day if visiting. Where abouts are you?

Please
or

Ghosty · 21/04/2003 21:13

Whitford is lovely isn't it? We are in south Auckland in a small place called Mangere Bridge. I have a few friends in Remuera who were very shocked when we bought our house here because they think it is "Mangere" itself which is fairly rough ... but we wanted a big garden and could we find any affordable property with a teeny bit of space anywhere else in Auckland? Nope ... I hate the way they subdivide every tiny bit of space here... so South Auckland it is (shock horror!) and we have a big garden with a lovely climbing tree which we love!
I know what you mean about 'outer hebrides' ... We go to a playgroup in Meadowbank (about 20 mins drive) and everyone says ... 'Wow, you come an awful long way just for playgroup!'
Why did you move to NZ and where are you from in the UK??

Please
or

sibble · 22/04/2003 03:03

Hi Ghostie
You're not far at all. My husband is from NZ and wanted to come home. Felt it was a better place for children to grow up (usual story). I know what you mean about subdivisions, we were renting in Mount Eden when we first arrived, we had intended to live in town but likewise couldn't find a full section (at least not one under $1-2 million) so looked further out. Now have 11 acres with 8 cows (4 of our own we have just bought) and plenty of space. I was working at Barts Hospital in London and we were living in Woodford Green (London/Essex borders). How about you? Really enjoy the quality of life here, we have a lifestyle we could only dream of at home but am finding it hard getting to know people as am not working (through choice and loving it). having 11 acres means you can hardly chat over the fence to the neighbours!

Please
or

Ghosty · 22/04/2003 03:38

Hi Sibble ... I looked on a map today and you are really close ...
My DH is a kiwi by default ... my little joke. He has dual nationality and grew up in England. He has always dreamed of moving here so when a great job opportunity came up we went for it ... a bit of a whirlwind ...
His parents are both here now too ... although not together (see dodgy step mother in law thread!).
I moved a lot when I was growing up ... to different countries so the concept of moving to another country was not strange to me ... but the last 8 years before I left the UK I lived in Reigate in Surrey ... I am a primary school teacher but like you am loving having the opportunity NOT to work and be a full time mum ... not that I have any cows to look after tho' just a full on 3 year old !

Please
or

sibble · 22/04/2003 08:41

Hi Ghosty (Spelt your name right this time)
I saw your message on the miscarriage thread which is the real reason I was checking out this website. A friend thought it might help, came across the NZ link by accident first. I had a miscarriage last week and had just spent another day at Middlemore when I posted the last message today. Nearly 20 years of nursing did not prepare me for how I felt last week (my dear husband thinks I need to get a grip what is meant to be etc.) actually I think I am doing OK considering. I hope everything goes well for you this Thursday. I still have the few months of waiting until my periods regulate and I can try again. I just hope I am pregnant by November when the baby would have been due. Guess that is a long time away yet. I know what you mean when you say you are happy to have had 1 healthy child but it does not stop you wanting another. The joke is that my little boy was an "accident", I was working, going out and generally having a good time and everything went smoothly (apart from hideous sickness which is another story) but this time i was not working, eating properly, not drinking, doing yoga, text book trying, fell pregnant the first month we tried and I lost the baby. They say we learn from everything that happens to us. Am trying to understand the message still.
Hope to hear good news soon
Sibble

Please
or

Ghosty · 22/04/2003 08:56

Oh Sibble, we must meet up ... I am so sorry that you have had this awful thing happen to you. Your story sounds identical to mine ... DS was an accident, the one I lost was conceived in the first month of trying. It is really hard being away from family isn't it? And as much as they try to be sympathetic men just don't understand what you are going through ... You poor thing ...
Would you like to get in touch? I could get tech to send you my e-mail?
Much love ... Ghosty XXX

Please
or

sibble · 22/04/2003 21:32

Would eb good to get in touch. Let mek now how
Sibble

Please
or

Ghosty · 22/04/2003 22:16

I have just contacted mumsnet, Sibble, so hopefully you should get an e-mail ... soonish, from them, to give you my e-mail address. Drop me a line as soon as you get it and I will reply as soon as I get it!

Please
or

florenceuk · 23/04/2003 14:32

Britabroad, just to add that I am a NZ'er and didn't know about the food thing - mind you I am quite old and was educated before everyone was required to be so culturally sensitive. I would guess quite a few people over 30 would be the same, not to mention you were obviously a "britabroad"! So I wouldn't feel awkward about it. Don't let them make you feel guilty, just say you didn't know and isn't it interesting the different attitudes to food, etc etc. IMHO the desire for cultural sensitivity in NZ has gone a bit out of control but this is from the safety of the UK!!!

Please
or

Britabroad · 08/05/2003 22:43

SORRY.
wow what alot of messages to read. Sorry haven't been around but container arrived and have been surrounded by cardboard ever since.
Well to sum up I too was a primary teacher in the UK and I live in Bucklands Beach and used to live in Buckhurst Hill!
Would love to meet up as new to BB area so have no friends as of yet in area. No.1 starts school on Monday and no.2 is 2 1/2 so life is pretty full. Neither of us are kiwis. I miss my folks but we have a web cam so I see/hear them nearly every day. Would love to meet up and talk to some adults.

OP posts:
Please
or

Britabroad · 08/05/2003 22:45

Thanks FlorenceUK may try some play groups instead !!

OP posts:
Please
or

sibble · 08/05/2003 22:59

Hi Britabroad
How weird, we are in Whitford and used to live in Woodford Green until we moved here last Sept. Was a nurse, now SAHM. Sister is teacher in Hainault 6 yr olds. Small world. Am also finding it really hard without family around and unfortunately we are on rural telecom system (excuse for sometimes we get reception sometimes not - they laughed when I asked about broadband or webcam)!! Ghosty and I met last friday at Lollipops in Ellerslie - had great time - both of us are "normal" honest!! things got better for us as soon as our container arrived especially for DS (3yrs) who was completely freaked at not having any of his belongings hope it makes things easier for you too. Anyway let me know if you are there. Not sure how but if you want to meet can ask tech to give you my email address. Ghosty and I were planning on meeting again soon.
Sibble

Please
or

Ghosty · 09/05/2003 02:09

Hello Britabroad ... Just wanted to echo sibble ... and to say welcome to New Zealand!!
I have a really good friend who lives in Howick ... so maybe we could arrange to meet up and she could come too to meet you.
Shall I forward my e-mail to you through tech??

Please
or

Britabroad · 09/05/2003 02:25

Can't tell you how great I feel thanks to you two. Life here is great really great but was thinking I was going to miss my 5 year old for lots of reasons!! Conversation being one of them. Would love to meet anytime anyplace

OP posts:
Please
or

Ghosty · 09/05/2003 02:30

Ok Britabroad .......Let's meet up!!! I will send my e-mail address to you via tech and then you can mail me when you get it ... Speak to you soon!!!

Please
or

Britabroad · 09/05/2003 11:01

Great look forward to it Ghosty.
How about you Sibble?

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?