Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

3-year old in Athens

12 replies

sprout · 13/03/2003 16:02

We will be spending 5 days in Athens at the end of May for a friend's wedding. Dd will be just 3 - and I'm already panicking about what to do with her all day, especially as we will be staying in a small hotel room. She's a very active little person. Any suggestions of where to go with her, or wise words to calm me down?

OP posts:
Please
or

GRMUM · 13/03/2003 16:40

Sprout I,m busy now but will get back to you on this!There is one very good site which I'll post in a minute when I can find it.

Please
or

GRMUM · 13/03/2003 16:47

Please
or

GRMUM · 13/03/2003 16:47

Sorry link didn't work!I'll try again later.

Please
or

sprout · 14/03/2003 09:55

Wonderful! Thank you.

OP posts:
Please
or

GRMUM · 14/03/2003 13:47

Sprout it would help if you could give me some idea of where you will be based.Centre of Athens,suberbs.Also any chance that you will hire a car or have access to one?

Please
or

sprout · 14/03/2003 16:33

The hotel's address is Diomias 5, Syndagma. TBH I have no idea where that is - our friends made a group booking for the wedding guests. We won't have access to a car, but we aren't (too) scared of trying public transport.

OP posts:
Please
or

GRMUM · 16/03/2003 18:05

The hotel is very central about 50metres away from the lower side of Syntagma Square.The main shopping streets are all around you including a big M&S and Mothercare.The main shopping street is called Ermou and it will be on your Left as you come out of the hotel.It is now all pedestrianised and on the weekends at least there are street entertainers so you should be able to while some time and maybe euros away there.At the bottom of Ermou is Plaka the old part of Athens lots of touristy shops, and tavernas,again great for passing the time especially in the evenings.
If you go to Syntagma you can watch the changing of the Evzones (greek version of changing guards) on the hour every hour.Next to Syntagma are the National Gardens a lovely breath of fresh air and greenery in the centre of Athens.There a childrens playground in there plus a huge duck pond.
Back to the bottom of Ermou you can walk through plaka to the Acropolis.Although it won't be blisteringly hot by end of May I would recommend going early morning or late afternoon.
With the Olympics coming Athens is generally having a huge face lift.Many areas are now pedestrianised which is much better with a small child and although it is not always easy with a buggy I think generally access with a buggy is much easer than it used to be.Bring th lightest one possible so you can lift it over difficult steps etc.
From Syntagma you can get the wonderful new Metro to various areas of Athens.More usful for you though will be to walk to Monastiaki Station at the bottom of Ermou (again!!) from here you can get the electric train down to Pireaus (PORT) you can easily pass a few hours walking around the Marinas coveting all the gorgeous boats and then sit for a coffee at one of the cafeterias.Don't forget that here you can sit for hours with just a coffee nobody moves you on.Also from Pireaus if you had a whole day and the weather was really good you could take a flying dolphin hydrofoil to one of the Saronic islands -Aegina.Angistri,Spetses,Hydra for the day to sit on the beach and sunbathe.If I remember correctly the first 2 I mentioned are the closest about an hour and half I think.Aegina is quite tourisy but should be very pleasant that early in the season.
If you need food for dd theres all the usual fast food outlets.There is also a greek outlet called GOODYS like McDonalds but highly superior in terms of quality.You wil find Goodys all over the place and most of them have soft play areas inside so if you had a damp day (unlikely) you could pass some time there.You won't find childrens menus here(except in ff outlets) as you do on the touristy islands but some safe bets for kids are always "biftekia" home made beef burgers (without bun) "keftedes" (fried meatballs) "yemista" (stuffed toms,peppers and aubergines) etc
If you have some time to kill before you go to the airport you could visit the new Attiki Zoological garden at spata (thats where the airport is)I haven't been but friends have told me its very good.Its mentioned hereZOO

Well hope thats enough to keep you going anything else just ask.Weddings in Greece are a lovely experiance.They are usually in the evenings ie 7.00 pm and later.You also needn't worry in the church about keeping dd totally quiet they are quite noisy in church here and people just pop on and out of the church if necessary,(for a ciggie or whatever!!)They can be quite dressy affairs too but check with your friends as to hat they are expecting.
This is also a useful site(you may have found it via the first one I gave you GREECE4KIDS

Please
or

sprout · 17/03/2003 08:29

Thanks, this is great. I'm starting to look forward to going there now!

OP posts:
Please
or

katmam · 21/03/2003 13:49

GRMUM, just had to say after reading your post, how many lovely memories you've brought back! I lived in Athens from 95-98 and had a great time. How many handbags and bits of jewellry did I buy from the Plaka (not least my absolutely beautiful engagement ring)?!! Athens will always be very special to me and one day I hope to take the kids out there (although admittedly won't stay in Athens very long - we will be going to my "favourite" place - Nafplion.

Sprout - you are very lucky - enjoy your holiday.

Ohhh, to be there now ....

Please
or

GRMUM · 21/03/2003 17:15

Thank you!!

Come at the end of May and we can have a mumsnet meetup!!!!

Please
or

GRMUM · 21/03/2003 17:20

Nafplion is lovely I agree.Actually the whole of the Peleponnese is good for a touring holiday.

Please
or

katmam · 23/03/2003 08:47

If I do make it back to Greece (which hopefully I will!) I will no doubt spend a few nights in Athens catching up with very dear friends, so perhaps a Greek meet up might just be on the cards GRMUM!!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?