Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Discovery Cove, Orlando, anyone been?

6 replies

Rhiannon · 22/02/2003 09:39

Just wondered is it worth the entrance fee?

What is there to do apart from swimming with the dolphins?

Thanks. R

OP posts:
Please
or

leese · 22/02/2003 19:51

Sorry Rhiannon - never been. it's quite a new place isn't it? I think you can pay one amount, and not choose to swim with the dolphins, or another (much higher) amt to swim, which gives the impression there must be other things to do, else why else pay a good entrance fee, if not to swim?
We went to Florida a few years back, and went down to the Keys. Found a fantastic place there - the 'Dolphin Research Centre' in Grassy Key (think it was featured when Tamsin Outhwaite wam with dolphins for that TV prog. Tho' this is too far to jaunt if you're staying in Orlando, if anyone does go down that way, its well worth a visit. Lots of educational stuff about dolphins in the wild etc, and watching the dolphins playing around, then the chance to swim if you wanted. An unforgettable experience, and made better cos it wasn't very touristy, if you know what I mean

Please
or

Rhiannon · 27/02/2003 19:33

Thanks leese, just remembered I'd posted this question! R

OP posts:
Please
or

moira43 · 29/03/2003 17:46

We went last Easter and had a fabulous day.We snorkelled in a large lagoon,swam with rays, sunbathed in quiet little coves,visited a tropical fish pool,and there was an aviary which you could swim through or walk in.The highlight was the dolphin swim which i did with my 2 daughters (9 & 14).My husband watched and photographed us.Lunch is included.We would all like to go back. Try www.discoverycove.com.

Please
or

Rhiannon · 29/03/2003 19:42

But what if we didn't swim with the dolphins, DD will be only 5 next time we go so she can't. Is there enough to do for the day?

OP posts:
Please
or

Rhiannon · 29/03/2003 19:43

It reminds me of a joke I heard.
"We had a great time in SeaWorld, had a fish dinner, we ate the underachievers!"

OP posts:
Please
or

tallulah · 31/03/2003 22:00

Went there last year (without kids). DH didn't do the dolphin swim. TBH the highlight of our day was hours standing in the ray pool, having them all swimming round us. (& feeding them with shrimps).
It's laid out like a beach- you get loungers- then there is the ray pool, another fish-free pool & a deep one with fish, a river that goes through the aviary, & the dolphin area.
We spent ages in the aviary hand feeding the birds too. It's fab. I'd go again but we just can't afford it!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?