Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.


Travelling with someone else's children....

13 replies

serenity · 14/01/2005 18:34


My sister is taking DS1 and DS2 to Eurodisney in late february, with a friend and her friends DD.

Do I have to do anything to enable her to take DSs out of the country, particulary as they have different surnames? If me and DH write her a letter giving her permission, would that be enough, or is there something official I have to do?

This is the first time they've gone anywhere without me, and I'm a bit nervous anyway - so, I really don't want to have to worry that immigration/customs will whisk them away 'cos they think DSis is kidnapping them!

OP posts:

serenity · 14/01/2005 19:34


OP posts:

JanH · 14/01/2005 19:57

People travel with different names all the time though, don't they - like if the parents aren't married, or are remarried, and the children have their father's name and the mother has a different one - I shouldn't think it would be a problem...but you could always write a letter anyway just in case!


kid · 14/01/2005 19:59

years ago, my friend went on holiday with my family to Spain. Not sure if she had her own passport or was on her mums, but we had to take a letter from her parents to say we had permission to take her.


KateandtheGirls · 14/01/2005 20:01

My sister-in-law took her neighbor's teenage daughter to The Bahmas with her (from the US) last year to help with the kids, and she had to have a note saying it was OK. I know it's a different country, but I would think the rules would be similar.


moondog · 14/01/2005 20:32

Make sure they have a letter of permission to be on the safe side!
I took my sister's children to the States when I was on a sort of working holiday. Eyebrows were raised very quickly (especially as they have French passports) and the children were questioned separately from me to make sure our stories corroborated. I hate to think what would have happened had they been a little hesitant or overwhelmed. All was ok eventually but it was not a nice experience and it shook us up a bit.


SueW · 14/01/2005 23:15

I took my own daughter to Canada without DH accompanying us and got hassle at immigration there They even tried to ask DD who was only 3 at the time when her birthday was - it was 11pm UK time and she was not in the mood to co-operate!

However, I don't think we'd helped things as I think I had travelled on a UK passport and she on a NZ passport although I'm sure she was in my UK one too but we used to like her to collect her own stamps!


IloveMarmite · 14/01/2005 23:16

Just make sure they have their passports and should be fine (I should think).


Linnet · 15/01/2005 00:22

I'd write a letter for your sister to take just incase she's asked. She probably won't be but at least if she has a letter she has proof that it's ok.

When we were flying home from Canada a few years ago I got to the check in desk with dd1 and dh was trailing behind with the suitcases. The first thing the lady on the check in asked me was if I had permission from my husband to take my dd out of the country. I pointed out that my husband was just coming and it was fine but I thought it a little odd seeing as we had British passports and were returning home after a holiday. They're very strict about this in Canada it seems.


serenity · 15/01/2005 01:20

Thanks for the replies (sorry, been at work!)

I'll do a letter then, just something like

X and Y give permission for DSis to take their children, DS1 and DS2 to France on such and such a date 2005. Any queries please contact X or Y on blah, blah blah?

Would that be enough?

OP posts:

secur · 15/01/2005 01:50

Message withdrawn


serenity · 15/01/2005 02:16

They'd better have a good time, because I'm really jealous I'm not going

OP posts:

Willow2 · 26/01/2005 14:04

I'd make sure she has a copy of their birth certificates - my sister went on holiday with her son, who has a different surname, and her partner - who also has a different surname - and even though my nephew was adamant he was with his mum she ended up having to have his birth certificate faxed through to the airport. But I'd also check with the tour operator/airline just to make sure.


serenity · 26/01/2005 14:08

OK, No problem, thanks Willow

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?