Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

New Year's Eve - Am I the only miserable moo out there ?

12 replies

Tillysmummy · 13/12/2002 08:16

Well it's that time of year again. I love Christmas and all the preparations, in fact I just love this time of year. But New Years Eve is a different matter. I think out of all the New Years I've had (Im 30) as an adult I can only remember a handful being really memorable and they have mainly been when a small group of a few friends have got together for a few drinks at someone's house and we've played games and generally had a relaxed and fun evening. It seems that if ever we are going to a big do they are always so over rated. I spend ages looking forward to it and then Im disappointed !

This year I don't know what we are going to do. In fact i think I fancy just staying in and watching lots of rubbish tv, drinking a bottle of champagne and eating a nice take away and then going to bed at 10 as usual !

Am I the only miserable moo out there ? I just think it's so overrated.

What is everyone else doing ? I would love to do - perhaps you can snap me out of my old womanish grumpiness

OP posts:
Please
or

Philippat · 13/12/2002 09:29

I've faced the fact that I'm just not cut out for New Years Eve celebrations. I've got dd as an excuse for staying in now but even before her arrival I used to much prefer your scenario than going out to a party. if that's what you're happy with, go for it.

If you'd rather go to a party but it has to be a good one, well, you may just have to arrange it yourself!

Please
or

Enid · 13/12/2002 09:32

I don't mind NYE, but definitely think its overrated, I remember years of being in London, desperate to go to the BEST parties etc and the stress of booking taxis, getting ready, waiting in queues at clubs etc and spending a fortune, it was always an anti-climax.

I LOVE Christmas and NYE can never compare for me. Also, its just a day - we invented the calendar in the first place so it really has absolutely no significance at all.

Unfortunately dp gets in a right paddy if we don't do anything - last year he was chewing his arm off because I wanted to stay in and watch the 'Wicker Man' on telly. If I had it my way there'd be a mad film, a glass of fizz and then bed by 12.30. In fact, bed before midnight but thats just too churlish I suppose.

This year we are actually going to a party for the first time in ages, but lots of my best girlfriends are going so at least I can sit and chat while dp gets all his NYE silliness out of his system.

Oddly, I do like New Years Day, we always go out somewhere beautiful like the coast and think about what the next 12 months will fling at us.

Please
or

GillW · 13/12/2002 09:42

We're just planning on staying in and having a couple of friends around for a meal and drinks, with Champagne at midnight. Even without the difficulties of getting babysitters, etc, somehow I can't get excited about going out and spending the evening somewhere overcrowded, noisy and smoky and with lots of drunk people for company, and organised jollity has never really been my thing either.

Good new year's eves in the past - we saw the New Millenium in with champagne in some friends' outdoor Hot Tub (us drinking the Champagne, not putting it into the tub that is ). Yes, outdoors, in the UK, in December - it was wonderful! We all sat and watched the fireworks going off all around and the blitz like effect over Birmingham in the distance.

A couple of years before that (i.e. pre DS) it had snowed here on New Years eve, so DH and I just went out for a late night walk and made "fresh tracks" on the virgin snow.

The last time we went out in the UK and actually enjoyed it was a few years ago to a small quite civilised olde-worlde hotel (a bit country-houseish although it's actually in the oldest part of a small town) and then locked the doors at about 8 so no-one else could come in. It didn't get too crowded and the whole evening was quite relaxed.

Please
or

Moomin · 13/12/2002 12:07

The last 2 NYEs have been great: we host the evening and about 6/8 friends come round. We've got a few kids between us so we bung them upstairs and don't get stressed if they don't drop off straight away - it's very relaxed. We all cook/bring a course and then sit round the table pigging out and drinking. Last year we played the Weakest Link and I passed out in the cheese board at 1.30am. Next day we all have a hangover breakfast and feel sorry for ourselves while the kids create mayhem. Same planned for this year - Can't wait!

Please
or

Scatterbrain · 13/12/2002 12:53

My best NYE was years ago - whilst still a student ! dh and I went to bed (It was freezing !!) and ate our fish and chips out of the paper in bed ! No stress, no hassle, no false expectations - marvellous !!

Totally agree with y'all - vastly over-rated !

This year have best friend, bf's dh and 2 dds to stay - so will be v. child oriented followed by lots of bad-for-us food and drinks and probably all snoring by midnight !! Heaven !

Please
or

thumper · 13/12/2002 13:08

One of our best was also eating dinner in bed (but Chinese)and drinking champagne in our first rented home together which was FREEZING. For the last four or five years, six of us have taken it in turns to host a dinner party, each providing a course. All very relaxed and good fun. This year we have an extra treat - Tweenies Live in the afternoon! HELP!! Well at least we will have earned good food and drink!

Please
or

tsarvo · 13/12/2002 22:23

Thank god i'm not alone. new years eve is the must depressing nights of the year. I love christmas and always have, but the new year always ends in tears. i end up thinking over the past few years or so, and end up fealing such a failure. staying in with a hand full of friends, playing games is my idea of heaven.

Please
or

honeybunny · 13/12/2002 22:48

Havent had a good NYE in ages. dh is either working, or working on NYD so this usually curtails most of our festivities. Nothing's changed this year either, dh is working on NYD again. POOEY! Besides, last year I was pregnant, year before I had an 8week old and the year before that I'd just lost a baby. Seem to remember that 1998/9 was good though! I'm with you Tillysmummy.
Enid... how romantically blissful. I'd love a NYD like that. Hope its a good one again this year.

Please
or

susanmt · 14/12/2002 11:11

We haven't had a fun hogmanay for ages either. Last year I was heavily pregnant and had a kidney stone, the year before we were at MIL's and it was awful, year before (millenium) I was heavily pregnant and my Dad was having emergency knee surgery as midnight struck, year before we were in Edinburgh at the street party and dh was sick.
Think the best one was when we took MIL to the Edinburgh celebrations (before it was all ticketed) and she got a real snog off a very handsome kilted bloke. The look on her face was a picture!
THis year looks better. We're going to be in Edinburgh (my parents are looking after the children) at a party hosted by some old Uni friends, and there will be people there we've not seen for years. Really looking forward to it!

Please
or

helenmc · 14/12/2002 16:59

I hate New Year time of the year. There seesm to be loads of Best of xyz awards and news reviews etc etc DH has Scottish reletives, and then every-one making resolutions they won't keep for more than a week (including me) and I hate the very drunk phone calls we used to get juts after midnight...now we unplug ALL phones and answer phone...he he

Please
or

Tissy · 14/12/2002 19:49

I'll be working, no partying for me Even if I wasn't working, I'd be going to bed early, to get in a few hours' sleep before dd wakes up and demands attention (typically 2 am at the moment).

Please
or

kazzalou · 14/12/2002 20:35

I agree that new year is a disapointment and also very overpriced!! I begrudge paying to get into packed pubs, can never get a taxi home and always wonder why I bothered. Not this year I have the perfect excuse - so we have a couple of friends, lots of videos, bottles of wine, lots of food and a blanket - heavenly night (unless the baby has other ideas!!)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?