Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Cold nights in France

16 replies

gosh2 · 09/12/2002 22:04

Can anyone advise, we are about to go off to France. It will be cold, house has no central heating - eeek! We have a 4 month old baby, I have just bought a grobag. What else can I put on baby at night? To keep babe snuggy?

OP posts:
Please
or

SofiaAmes · 09/12/2002 22:50

My baby (10 wks) sleeps with me under our nice warm duvet. I figure it's ok since she's with me. Our ds did the same until 6 mo.

Please
or

Tissy · 10/12/2002 09:24

If its a 2.5 tog Grobag, and the house is very cold, how about long sleeve vest/ body suit, baby grow, cardigan and hat/ mitts?

Please
or

KeepingMum · 10/12/2002 09:39

We went camping in French Alps when ds was 8 weeks, it was -5C one night! He had a fleece grobag (that my mum made so no idea what tog), and a few blankets. He also wore gloves, I don't think I let him wear a hat as I was worried he would overheat! I can't tell you if he was too hot or cold, but he definitely slept better then than when we got back, probably all the fresh mountain air.

Please
or

gosh2 · 10/12/2002 10:03

Tissy

Good idea about the cardigan think I will add that. I have some pure wool ones that I was given.

I have been worried about this. Will do mittens as well as nothing worse than little cold hands touching you when feeding!

OP posts:
Please
or

suedonim · 10/12/2002 10:26

If you're going by car could you take a fan heater and adaptor plug with you? Then you could warm the room before getting into bed. Also, if your baby sleeps apart from you, pre-warm his cot before you put him in.

Please
or

sml2 · 10/12/2002 13:05

I'd buy an electric convector heater with thermostat and keep the room warm at night.

Please
or

sml2 · 09/01/2003 13:28

gosh2 - how did you get on? It was very mild wasn't it.

Please
or

gosh2 · 09/01/2003 15:37

sml2

we got on great, I still wrapped her up really well. Tights, cardi, grow bag. Her little hands and face were cold in the mornings but yes we were lucky weatherwise.

But she has a sniffle, and a cough, but bunged up nose is difficult. What can I give her to ease it.

The French pharmacist gave me stuff for the cough, but the nose is a prob.

Any advise, dont want stuff that you rub onto chest I need chemicals for her!

OP posts:
Please
or

aloha · 09/01/2003 16:03

Saline nose drops from the chemist or your dr will unbung a nose. Babies usually hate them, however.

Please
or

gosh2 · 09/01/2003 16:45

saline drops - nonsense! Got them they are as much use as a chocolate teapot

OP posts:
Please
or

sml2 · 09/01/2003 17:51

I never found anything that worked for unbunging tiny noses, except sleeping in an over heated room which seems to dry up anyone's nose pretty fast.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 09/01/2003 18:07

Supposedly putting EBM in the nostrils like saline drops works in the same way - makes them sneeze the snot out

Medised Infant used to be good but I'm not sure you can get it any more.

Please
or

janh · 10/01/2003 10:18

Those suction bulb things work very well but they make the baby jump a bit!

Please
or

NikkiD · 24/01/2003 17:11

A couple of drops of Eucalyptus Smithii essential oil on a tissue in the room helps to unblock baby noses. But don't use Eucalyptus Globulus as this is too strong (but great for adults).

Please
or

grommit · 24/01/2003 19:14

I know someone who used to suck their baby's nose... (yuch)

Please
or

willow2 · 24/01/2003 22:14

You're getting a bit Angela's Ashes for my liking Grommit!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?