My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Holidays

Apple Airtag

17 replies

FeltCarrot · 22/08/2023 19:30

Travelling long haul next week with a stopover both ways. Carrier is Lufthansa who I have not been hearing good things about…

Anyhoo, have bought an AirTag and wondered if anyone on here has used one to track hold luggage.

OP posts:
HundredMilesAnHour · 22/08/2023 19:43

Yes, I always use AirTags. It's such a relief when you get to the baggage hall and even if you don't see your bag immediately, you can confirm that it made the flight and is in the same airport as you. It's one less thing to worry about!

FeltCarrot · 22/08/2023 19:58

Do you have to disable the bleeper? I’ve read that it goes off after a few hours and we will be travelling for about 12 hours! 😫

OP posts:
Boymummyofone · 22/08/2023 20:00

We have one hidden in the pram and in my DH's wallet, never heard any beeping unless it's an indication that the battery's low?

HundredMilesAnHour · 22/08/2023 20:15

FeltCarrot · 22/08/2023 19:58

Do you have to disable the bleeper? I’ve read that it goes off after a few hours and we will be travelling for about 12 hours! 😫

I don't know what you mean by the bleeper?

I travelled to Australia from the UK and back with mine with zero issues.

declutteringmymind · 22/08/2023 20:25

Love ours. Very reassuring and when we get to the destination put one in the kids pockets if we are going somewhere busy.

andyourpointiswhat · 23/08/2023 07:28

I have one in my suitcase, and a spare in case I check in a second bag. Never had a problem. I also have one in my purse and one attached to my keys.

CurlsLDN · 23/08/2023 07:33

There’s one on my cat, never heard her beeping round the neighbourhood!

Defender90 · 23/08/2023 07:38

We use them in luggage, never had beeping.

It wasn't nice though checking as we arrived at Boston airport that one of the tags was still at Heathrow but it was nicer than the unknown as we waited at the carousel!

CMOTDibbler · 23/08/2023 07:38

Yes, I have one pinned (it is in a keyring thing) in the lining of my suitcase and it is massively reassuring to see it moving through

StillWantingADog · 23/08/2023 07:42

Yup. It’s very reassuring to “see” it going onto your plane!

of course it doesn’t help if it doesn’t, though I suppose you could kick off with the cabin crew before takeoff if it’s not there

but if it doesn’t make it at least you will know where it is.

definitely read fairly recently that Lufthansa had banned them, but I think they either reversed the decision or realised they couldn’t enforce it.

cruffinsmuffin · 23/08/2023 07:49

I do it all of the time, it's such a good way to keep my mind at rest!

The bleeping they make is if you're using it to track someone who has an iPhone, their iPhone will register that an AirTag that isn't theirs is travelling with them - e.g if you put one into your husbands wallet and he had an iPhone, it would bleep after a while and his iPhone would tell him the unregistered AirTag was travelling with him. It doesn't just bleep regularly 😊

FeltCarrot · 23/08/2023 07:50

I thought they started emitting a beep when they had been separated from you for more than 8 hours? Our travel time will be over 12.

OP posts:
StillWantingADog · 23/08/2023 07:53

Our travel time wasn’t 12 but we checked in the night before so last time we were separated from the AirTags for more than 12h. No issues.

Xiaoxiong · 23/08/2023 08:04

I don't think they bleep unless you make them play a sound to find them on the Find My app or running out of battery which has to be longer than a year (the length I've had mine and they're still going strong).

I have one on my car keys, which I recently left at home while I was on holiday out of the country for two weeks and I am told they made not a peep while I was away.

PinkPondQueen · 23/08/2023 08:34

CurlsLDN · 23/08/2023 07:33

There’s one on my cat, never heard her beeping round the neighbourhood!

That is amazing 😻

I really want one but have an Android not an Iphone. Can anyone recommend one please?

CurlsLDN · 23/08/2023 16:52

@PinkPondQueen the cat used to have a chipolo tag before I had an iPhone, works in much the same way but on the non-apple network.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.