My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Holidays

In london with 5yr old next week - what can I take him to see?

7 replies

Eve · 28/11/2004 21:14

I have to drive to London to next Sat 7am to set up something at an event, but am free after that.

Thought I would take DS with me, as my setting up will only take 30 mins or so, thought I would take him to see some lights and window displays.

I will be in marble arch..what is worth going to see?

OP posts:
MarsLady · 28/11/2004 21:17

Take him to see the Oxford street shop windows. Haven't been for a few years but they tend to be really lovely. Have you enough time to take him to Hamleys and buy a small toy? DH suggests the Tower of London.

hoxtonchick · 28/11/2004 21:17

selfridges windows are great, & right next to marble arch. the lights are on in regent st, & you could go to hamleys too. i don't know when the oxford st lights are going on. hope it won't be too busy for you.

PuffTheMagicDragon · 28/11/2004 21:24

Oxford Street lights are on, as are Regent Street's, where you can pop in to Hamleys. What time are you planning on leaving London? Its nice to see at least some if the lights in the dark for the full effect.

Liberty, near Hamley's has a FAB christmas decorations basement - v v pretty to wander round.

Also recommend the Trafalgar Square tree.

How ols is your ds?

JanH · 28/11/2004 21:26

How about the London Eye, when it's getting dark, or maybe a ride on a riverboat?

MarsLady · 28/11/2004 21:31

Frog tours. They start by the Wheel. My kids loved it. The bus is bright yellow and travels around the sights. It travels on land and then goes in the river. Brilliant!

CHUNKYMUNKEY · 28/11/2004 21:37

Harrods have a lovely Christmas grotto to visit, its free to see Santa (costs £10 for a photo) and while you wait, elfs hand out free cake and refreshments. They have 10 Santas there (all done without the children knowing) which cuts down the queueing time plus there are christmassy things to look at while you wait.

yoyo · 28/11/2004 22:00

The Science Museum always gets my vote. I know it's not festive but it's fab and free - the shop is pretty good for pressies too. Great interactive centre and the cafe is good (the blue lit one). Also I-max...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.