My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Holidays

Eurocamp Costa Dorada - anyone been?

20 replies

TiredYorkshireMam · 12/07/2022 10:15

Very excited to have just booked Eurocamp in Costa Dorada, Playa Montroig. Anybody been?

Will be going late late October due to school holidays. Just sorting flights now, probably flying from Newcastle to Barcelona....Reus is closer but flights don't look so good and are expensive.

2 young kids, staying for 7 nights. Hoping to spend most of the time in or around the camp but thinking of hiring a car (mostly for ease of commute from airport) so will be able to do a few day trips? Any must see things in the area?

Any hints / tips gratefully received!

Mx

OP posts:
TiredYorkshireMam · 12/07/2022 10:20

Edited to add - we've never been to any Eurocamps, so any general useful info / suggestions on what to pack also welcome Smile

OP posts:
Brumchum · 12/07/2022 11:09

Parc Sama is a nice botanical garden and only about 15 mins drive away.
Lots of beautiful beaches to explore too

WirelessBirmingham · 12/07/2022 11:30

Yes, went there a few years back and loved it!

TiredYorkshireMam · 12/07/2022 13:39

Thanks both

OP posts:
BaconAndCheeseOatcake · 12/07/2022 13:45

Tarragona is lovely and we really enjoyed the water park at Portaventura. Cambrils was also lovely.

Spent lots of evenings just wandering the campsite/beach, really peaceful and picturesque.

Seem to remember it also had a good bakery!

Some of the evening entertainment for kids was in the so bad it's brilliant category- my children were teens then, they still take about it now.

TiredYorkshireMam · 12/07/2022 13:56

BaconAndCheeseOatcake · 12/07/2022 13:45

Tarragona is lovely and we really enjoyed the water park at Portaventura. Cambrils was also lovely.

Spent lots of evenings just wandering the campsite/beach, really peaceful and picturesque.

Seem to remember it also had a good bakery!

Some of the evening entertainment for kids was in the so bad it's brilliant category- my children were teens then, they still take about it now.

Brilliant, thank you Grin

What's the accommodation like?

Any tips on what to pack? Do people mostly eat out or use the kitchen facilities?

We are fairly well set-up for UK camping, with our tea and coffee etc all ready to go, but obviously we will be taking much less as flying. So I'm not too sure what we should take. Don't want to have to buy a load of stuff there. Equally don't want to be doing loads of cooking.

OP posts:
BaconAndCheeseOatcake · 12/07/2022 14:12

What kind of Eurocamp accommodation have you booked?

Allthegoodnamestakken · 12/07/2022 14:16

Never stayed at that particular park but all my childhood holidays where euro camps up until I was 18 and I have fond memories of them all. Not sure if your children would be old enough to enjoy it but the waterpark at port adventura is great and the train service to and from it along the coast is very smooth so you may not even need to take the car. You can also easily reach Barcelona by train if you fancy a city based day out.
The region also has quite a few different festivals on over the summer so have a look if any of the nearby towns have anything for the week you are there.

TiredYorkshireMam · 12/07/2022 14:18

A kind of lodge thing. The range is called the Aspect.

It's the more expensive one. However, I have a coupon code I can use for a discount....but not on the Aspect range.

Didn't realise that till I booked it.

I think I can change to the cheaper range and use my coupon.

It's also a 3 bedroom. We only need a 2 bedroom but didn't seem to be any 2 beds available.

So I do wonder if I'm paying a lot more unnecessarily.

OP posts:
TiredYorkshireMam · 12/07/2022 14:20

Allthegoodnamestakken · 12/07/2022 14:16

Never stayed at that particular park but all my childhood holidays where euro camps up until I was 18 and I have fond memories of them all. Not sure if your children would be old enough to enjoy it but the waterpark at port adventura is great and the train service to and from it along the coast is very smooth so you may not even need to take the car. You can also easily reach Barcelona by train if you fancy a city based day out.
The region also has quite a few different festivals on over the summer so have a look if any of the nearby towns have anything for the week you are there.

Thank you.

And yes, I had hoped to get by without a car. But out flight gets in quite late at night and the thought of navigating public transport with tired kids wasn't appealing.

So since we will be paying for car hire, I would like to make use of it at least a couple of times and do a few day trips.

OP posts:
BaconAndCheeseOatcake · 12/07/2022 14:23

I've stayed in an Aspect - they're really well equipped. I took cloths, small anti bac, washing up sponge, bin bags I think.

We ate in most of the time, the table on the frack was spacious. I think we bought pizzas one night and possibly bought some cooked meat, salads etc. So we ate in but didn't cook much.

HGC2 · 12/07/2022 14:51

We're just back from vilanova in costa dorada, we had an azure mobile home for 5 of us and it was ideal. The aspect is lovely but you will be outside all the time really so might not be worth the extra.

Kitchen is well set up but only with small pots so not great for proper cooking, we bbq'd and ate out mostly. The shop on site wasn't overpriced and we felt that the cost of an extra suitcase was more than the cost of buying things there. We paid for the hire of linen and beach towels though for the pool. We loved the area and the train is so easy, enjoy

TiredYorkshireMam · 12/07/2022 15:13

Thank you both.

Yes @BaconAndCheeseOatcake, I'm hoping to do similar as regards food.

@HGC2 hhhm...yes, I'm wondering if I should switch to the Azure. It'll be cheaper because it's the cheaper range, but also I might be able to get a 2 bed (as opposed to paying for 3, which we don't need), and also I think I will be able to use my discount code on the azure.

Fingers crossed we will be outside most of the time, but it is October so the weather could let us down.

Trying to keep costs down as much as possible, but by far the most expensive part is the flights. The Eurocamp accommodation is very reasonable.

We are only taking hand luggage. Partly so that we don't have to hang about baggage reclaim, partly because we can only carry so much anyway as we will also be dealing with the kids.

I imagine I could take little packages in the hand luggage though? Some teabags, coffee, washing powder? Or is that just asking for trouble? Grin Been so long since we've been on a plane I've forgotten all those rules.

OP posts:
BaconAndCheeseOatcake · 12/07/2022 15:16

BaconAndCheeseOatcake · 12/07/2022 14:23

I've stayed in an Aspect - they're really well equipped. I took cloths, small anti bac, washing up sponge, bin bags I think.

We ate in most of the time, the table on the frack was spacious. I think we bought pizzas one night and possibly bought some cooked meat, salads etc. So we ate in but didn't cook much.

Deck not frack!

HelenHywater · 12/07/2022 15:26

Also went there a few years ago (11 in fact!). We loved it - the kids still sing the songs from the entertainment!

We did go to Barcelona, Sitges and Tarragona from there and did day trips. (in fact we stayed over at Barcelona, but my children were older). And Portaventura too. There's plenty to do in the park and on the beach for younger children.

My kids also talk really fondly about our Eurocamp days.

TiredYorkshireMam · 14/07/2022 11:44

Thanks all. We are all very much looking forward to it Smile

OP posts:
Rayn22 · 15/07/2022 14:46

I worked on playa montroig years ago! The beach is amazing!

monkeysmum21 · 15/07/2022 17:23

I would definitely fly to Reus if you can. Small airport so there are no queues no need to be there 4 hours early... (my experience last year).
Tarragona has a lot to offer with some Roman ruins, beaches, and plenty of places to eat nice food.

Crikeyalmighty · 15/07/2022 20:34

I'm a big fan of Eurocamp OP with kids and accommodation has always been good for the price- certainly better than I've had in uk

RosieProbert · 15/07/2022 20:38

I've been there. Lovely pool. You'll have a great time.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.