Please or to access all these features

Holidays

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Losing plot whether to cancel BA holiday

32 replies

PrettyLittleCryer · 19/06/2022 20:01

Argh! I know nobody has a crystal ball to know what will happen but am driving myself mad trying to second guess what we should do.

We have a hol booked for peak Summer. Including flying on one of the busiest days of the airport calendar. We are flying with BA, from Heathrow. It is a complete package from BA, including transfers etc. This isn't small money- we are paying a hefty chunk of our savings for it as so wanted to splash out on a special hol after missing so many for covid, including missing our big wedding anniversary holiday we'd planned.

But we haven't paid the full amount yet, only the deposit. We've got 2 weeks to decide and just don't know what to do. Part of me is clinging onto any hope of going. The other part is ridiculously worried about:

  • Losing all or part of such a huge amount of money
  • it getting cancelled and ending up with nothing for 2 weeks' of the DCs summer
  • Things going hideously wrong like getting stuck there or transfers not happening
  • Security! Surely there are big security risks at the moment with everything being so chaotic. I'm a nervous flyer as it is.

WWYD?

OP posts:
Frazzled2207 · 23/06/2022 21:24

PrettyLittleCryer · 23/06/2022 20:29

Argh now BA are striking at Heathrow! The irony of all this is we were originally booked with Tui and switched....that seems to have backfired spectacularly!

I read this and thought of you. Hold your nerve - they will likely announce strike dates soon. If you’re lucky you won’t be affected. If you are they won’t necessarily go ahead but in that case I def would be looking at alternative options.

PrettyLittleCryer · 24/06/2022 07:12

We go the exact weekend it's been said they're planning to strike :( And unfortunately we have no wiggle room on dates. I did think about trying to switch airport before we pay in full but DH reckons there's a danger other BA staff will follow anyway.

OP posts:
Benjispruce4 · 24/06/2022 07:16

You won’t lose money so that’s one thing to not worry about.
We booked with BA for first week of school holidays and THEY cancelled it a week later, no explanation so I guess your flight is one of the ones they ARE running.

user50and · 24/06/2022 07:45

Hi OP. Our BA package to Turkey in the summer holidays yesterday (well the flights did) we had only paid our deposit and were due to pay the balance yesterday. I called BA as soon as I got the email and they have changed our flights to the following day. I'm just waiting to hear whether the hotel can accommodate us (2 x adults, 4 x teens), due a call today. I'm feeling quite positive. I would hang on, don't cancel yet.

user50and · 24/06/2022 07:46
  • got cancelled. Vital word missing there 🤣
PrettyLittleCryer · 24/06/2022 07:51

Yeah they haven't cancelled...yet. The strikes at the exact airport on those dates just seem like the final risk factor. I've been looking everywhere and, if avoiding flying, everywhere near a beach we could get to by car / train / boat seems to be well and truly booked up now for our dates. Feeling really sad and gutted for the kids.

OP posts:
Frazzled2207 · 24/06/2022 09:16

this article is quite balanced suggesting that if the strikes go ahead it won't be a complete meltdown. It doesn't affect pilots and cabin crew.
www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-airways-strike-flights-heathrow-b2108412.html

New posts on this thread. Refresh page
Swipe left for the next trending thread