Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

One day in Barcelona

12 replies

PicturesOfLily · 19/06/2022 11:26

I’m going to Costa Brava for a week next month with DH, DD(4) & DD(1). Our resort is on the train line to Barcelona so we are planning on going for the day. Current rough plan is to get the train to arrive around 10am, look around Plaça de Catalunya, catch the open top bus to visit Sagrada Familia (we’ll buy tickets in advance) then back on the bus to Parc Güell and maybe some sort of picnic lunch there so kids can explore a bit too. We could then do the rest of the bus circuit and swap to a different route to go round Montjuïc and down to the port before walking back up the Rambla to catch the train back to the resort. Does this sound ok? Or is there something else that’s great that we’re missing?
I have been to Barcelona 4 times but the last 2 have been on school trips so just a day there where we have had a coach taking us round and this is the first time for DH and DDs. I think there might be too much time on the bus and they’ll be bored but DD4 gets fed up of walking quite quickly plus it’s likely to be hot. She’s far too big to be carried or go in the pushchair so I thought the tourist bus would be better than attempting the metro. Has anyone been recently? Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

Bolsa · 19/06/2022 12:37

Yes, I've been recently but with older kids. The bus can be very hot and long if stuck in traffic. I would say don't book a guided tour in the sagrada familia. Seeing it outside and in is wow enough and I think with small kids you've got to limit your time stopped anywhere.

I'm sure your plan is fine so long as you're willing to change direction at any time. We didn't go to Park Guell but did do both the green and orange bus lines on different days. You have to wear masks getting on the bus btw. English tourists behind us were arguing about this because they "didnt have to wear them on the way over here". Bus lady was unimpressed: they didnt get on.

Plaça de Catalunya is busy and not well shaded so try to have picked out somewhere to eat or drink beforehand so you're not harassed when hungry or thirsty.

If you're getting the R2S into the Estacio de França, the area the station is located is lovely and definitely worth a pause.

Have a great trip.

Please
or

PicturesOfLily · 19/06/2022 20:47

That’s really helpful. Thank you! I didn’t know about the masks so I’ll pack some.

OP posts:
Please
or

Walkley18 · 25/06/2022 22:43

Just been, two weeks ago, for two days out of our week elsewhere, with DS14. It was much hotter than expected and I think you have too much for one day. Parc Guell we had to book as well and that's a couple of hours at least, v little shade. We almost missed our entrance slot as hop on bus delayed. There were queues for hop on/ hop off bus so didn't always get the first one and had to wait. Agree about Sagrada comment by PP. Inside is stunning but not sure your kids will apprciate it at their age. When I went with younger children we loved the park next to zoo with boating lake and play area. This time we didn't see any human statues at Las Ramblas and went both days to check them out!

Please
or

YourLittleSecret · 26/06/2022 13:05

In a new city for one day I always like a hop on hop off bus. I've done this in Barcelona and you can choose from a few routes. That way you can get off for each of the things you want to see but no time wasted. Agree the outside of Sagrada is enough for DC.

Please
or

Whammyyammy · 26/06/2022 14:21

A day is long enough in Barcelona, to do a bit of sightseeing (maybe include the arc de triomf?), do some shopping and have lunch.

I have used the coastal path train, R1 i believe, I caught it at Blanes station and it takes about an hour and a half as so many stops, and can get quite busy, you see some good sights on the way, and pass a few nudist beaches 🤣

One day in Barcelona
Please
or

CoolShoeshine · 26/06/2022 18:26

I’m not sure little ones would enjoy the Sagrada Familia. Mine liked the Ramblas to see the human statues, the streets in the gothic quarter (shady with some tourist shops) and the magic fountains in the evening. Also a park, I can’t remember the name but there is a boating lake and statues (woolly mammoth from what I remember), and you can get a snacky lunch there and sit in the shade. Also the big shop (El Corte Ingles?) has a great panoramic cafe/restaurant on the top floor. There are some cable cars too which look good but I haven’t tried them. It is quite a long day in the heat, an air conditioned coach might be better than the train.

Please
or

PicturesOfLily · 26/06/2022 20:52

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. We’ll save about £50 if we don’t go into the Sagrada Familia! I have been inside about 8 years ago and it was amazing but yes, I doubt it will be appreciated by my 1 & 4 year olds! Thank you for the park suggestions, I’ll check that out. We definitely want to avoid long queues in the heat (I’m not great in the sun/heat either) and we’d like to come back and do more touristy stuff out of season in a few years. I’ve heard about the Corte Inglés restaurant so that would be good for at least a drink & snack & sit down for a little bit too. Some fab ideas. I’m excited about going!

OP posts:
Please
or

rookiemere · 26/06/2022 20:56

I was going to say to skip the inside of the Sagrada Familia. It is amazing but even as an adult I felt the outside was the most incredible bit.

Please
or

Eixample · 26/06/2022 21:10

Are you really sure you want to go? I live in Barcelona and none of those things would work with my four year olds. You don’t say where you are going to be but from the southernmost point you could be it’s quite a long journey. I just came back from Roses today and my kids were not very tolerant of the distance (because of the travel restrictions between subregions the last few years they are not used to long journeys at all). I would suggest going to Girona and/or to whichever nice historic town is closest.
However, if you do come to Barcelona, you might like a boat trip. There’s a pirate ship one and a tour of the port.

Please
or

PicturesOfLily · 26/06/2022 21:40

@Eixample we might go to Girona too as again I’ve been on a couple of school trips and it was lovely. We’re staying in Pineda de Mar which I think is around 1 hour 20 on the train to Barcelona. DH has never been and is very keen to visit (& to go inside the Sagrada Familia) & it’s one of my favourite cities although I know it will be much harder work with small children. I think dd would like the fountains at Montjuic. I assumed the shows were at night but I’ve just checked and they seem to be during the day so maybe we could go there instead. She got fed up of walking on a short break to York a few months ago which is why I thought the tourist bus might be a good idea.

OP posts:
Please
or

Walkley18 · 26/06/2022 22:10

SF inside v different from 8 years ago but still wouldn't take that age kids. There are different colour stained glassed windows, so beautiful, but perhaps in 4 years when SF is supposed to be finished may be better time to see it if you only have one day now. Enjoy whatever you do!

One day in Barcelona
Please
or

FuncaMunca · 27/06/2022 10:54

May I please piggyback on this thread?? I'm off to Barcelona with a 4 year old and need to fill one day. We're staying in Eixample and I'm willing to pay for Ubers to get around.

Can someone tell me if this sort of itinerary is realistic: Park Guell + Montjuic cable car + beach (or boat ride)??

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?