Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Lake Garda or Croatia?

28 replies

pinksunsets · 15/06/2022 21:52

So I'm currently trying to decide whether to go to Lake Garda in Italy or some Croatian islands. I've managed to find a nice hotel in Riva del Garda but then I read that the sun disappears quite early in the day and you can't really see the sunset - has anyone been?

I do like the idea of doing hikes and cycling but am worried it might be a bit gloomy with no sun for half the day. Sadly the cheapest hotels on the east side are out of my budget. Or there's also Croatia, which could be lovely. I love the beach but not really to sunbathe and I'll be going in July so it could be too hot? If anyone has any recommendations for the best island, I'd love to hear them!

OP posts:
Please
or

awonderfuladventure · 16/06/2022 17:01

Go to the bottom of the lake, the sun shines all day there - been loads of times! We love Peschiera and Bardolino. Lots of water activities and cycling too. Food is amazing.

Please
or

awonderfuladventure · 16/06/2022 17:02

When I say bottom I obviously mean south, not the actual bottom of the lake 😂

Please
or

RampantIvy · 16/06/2022 17:08

I agree with @awonderfuladventure. You need to be nearer the southern end on the east side of the lake.

Having said that, Croatia is every bit as lovely as Lake Garda.

Please
or

pinksunsets · 17/06/2022 09:26

Thanks both! Have cancelled my hotel in Riva but finding it hard to find anything decent and affordable in Bardolino. Bah!

OP posts:
Please
or

RampantIvy · 17/06/2022 10:38

Have you looked at Garda?

Please
or

LIZS · 17/06/2022 10:42

I don't recall a lack of sun in Riva. If you look along towards Torbole you would get the evening sun. There are also water sports based there and the north end of the lake is usually windier. Malcesine is a nice small town with a lift up Monte Baldo with walking, activities and views.

Please
or

Afterfire · 17/06/2022 10:42

I’ve never been to Lake Garda but dd aged 19 came back from a holiday to Zadar in Croatia a week ago and she said it was the best holiday she’s had (she’s been to quite a few places). She said the sun was always out but not too hot, there were lovely beaches and the town was nice to browse round. And cocktails were super cheap - £14 for 5 (!!) - can you tell shes a uni student on a budget?!
😁

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 17/06/2022 10:56

Desenzano del Garda is lovely and has a station making it easy to get to Verona and Milan. You can get the ferry to lots of other towns.

Please
or

Quartz2208 · 17/06/2022 10:58

We have just spent a week in Peschiera and loved it!

Please
or

averythinline · 17/06/2022 11:06

I would go to Croatia, very underwhelmed by the Italian lakes....the water was manky so you couldn't swim in lots if it.
It was packed everywhere ....so getting around was slow....
Lots if wasps/mozzies and it qas very hot n humid so cycling not great either
The background is beautiful so good for posy photos..but most of the food was not that great...ive been to Italy a few times and probably my most disappointing trip... although we did go middle of summer holidays....maybe better in spring?

Please
or

pinksunsets · 17/06/2022 13:43

@LIZS can you see a decent sunset from Torbole?

OP posts:
Please
or

RampantIvy · 17/06/2022 13:45

I didn't go to Lake Garda to swim in it. Both times we went the hotel had a pool. We explored a lot of the lake by ferry.

Please
or

LIZS · 17/06/2022 13:50

The view is over towards Limone, with sunsetting behind. However can't say I paid that much attention!

Please
or

Forgothowmuchlhatehomeschoolin · 17/06/2022 13:55

Go to Bardolino or Garda itself....easy to catch a bus up to Rive del Garda and Verona and saw the most beautiful sunset there.
Can't comment on Croatia.

Please
or

RampantIvy · 17/06/2022 14:01

We saw some fabulous sunsets from Sirmione.

Please
or

OompaLoompaa · 17/06/2022 14:04

If you like sunsets then Croatia fits the bill, I saw amazing sunsets on the island of Kolocep, one of the Elaphati islands.

Please
or

pinksunsets · 17/06/2022 14:14

Good shout @OompaLoompaa! And yes I do love a good sunset (hence the username).

I've had a look at the buses @Forgothowmuchlhatehomeschoolin and I think the last one leaves before the sun will have set!

OP posts:
Please
or

FruitToast · 17/06/2022 14:19

Croatia. Lake Garda in July is very busy and generally the lake is full of toxic algae. I really like Croatia (although it is probably busier than I remember it 10 years ago). We used to camp near Porec and do a day trips to visit Pula, Trieste, etc. Can't comment on the islands though.

Please
or

roses2 · 17/06/2022 14:20

Croatia is cheaper than Italy and also better maintained.

Please
or

pinksunsets · 17/06/2022 14:45

Is it actually cheaper @roses2? I've read mixed reports on how expensive it is to eat out etc.

For some reason I was thinking Lake Garda would be the more chilled option @FruitToast!

OP posts:
Please
or

pinksunsets · 17/06/2022 16:13

Also if anyone has any recommendations for the best Croatian island for someone who doesn't drive and would have to rely on public transport, please let me know!

OP posts:
Please
or

Afterfire · 17/06/2022 16:52

pinksunsets · 17/06/2022 14:45

Is it actually cheaper @roses2? I've read mixed reports on how expensive it is to eat out etc.

For some reason I was thinking Lake Garda would be the more chilled option @FruitToast!

Croatia is very cheap for eating out. Dd is a complete foodie - like me- and she was sending me screenshots of various meals she was having and everything looked delicious and was at least half the price you’d pay over here for anything similar.

Please
or

pinksunsets · 17/06/2022 17:29

That's good to know @Afterfire! For some reason I thought it would be quite expensive and not as great as the food you can get in Italy (one of the main reasons I'd love to go to Lake Garda).

OP posts:
Please
or

OompaLoompaa · 17/06/2022 17:43

I found it quite expensive but I only went to Dubrovnik, Split and three of the islands. The food was very nice, lots of it was like Italian food.

Please
or

roses2 · 17/06/2022 20:30

Lake Garda is full of over priced low quality tourist restaurants. If you're going to an exclusive Croatian resort location then yes it will be more expensive than the mainland though!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?