Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Doha as a holiday destination

18 replies

Jajana · 14/06/2022 16:28

Managed to find a deal to Qatar in September (I know it’ll be hot) for 3 nights. Has anyone been to Doha for a trip? I’ve only been for a layover so don’t know much about the city. I enjoy architecture, museums, good restaurants and nice walks in the park.

OP posts:
Please
or

Ribb · 14/06/2022 16:43

We went just before the pandemic started for a few days either side of a holiday to Bali. We (DH, DS and I) really enjoyed it. Chilled at the hotel and ate out mostly so can't comment on the cultural trip aspect. If you've found a good deal I'd suggest going for it.

Please
or

Ishka · 14/06/2022 16:57

I went to doha in September for work - it was unbearably hot! Luckily I was in the air con offices and hotel, I wouldn't have been able to tolerate going out to explore or even sit by the pool!

Please
or

firefly123 · 14/06/2022 17:02

It will be too hot for walking!!! Went in early November and too hot for evening park walks then. Even laying by pool will be boiling... we went to the desert for a trip which was fun for dune bashing as they call it. Restaurants v expensive

Please
or

Jajana · 14/06/2022 17:12

Thanks all for the advice. I am still tempted to go and just see it as a lazy holiday. I went to Las Vegas in June and that was unbearably hot but still enjoyable.

OP posts:
Please
or

lrwe · 14/06/2022 17:17

I live in Doha.

While it is hot (and humid) the whole place is set up for the heat. Lots of indoor activities. By the end of September I always try to believe the worst is over but it's still too hot to be outside for too long unless you're in a pool. There is also apparently an air conditioned walkway on one of the parks.

Some fab museums include:

• national Museum of Qatar (which is in the shape of a desert rose)
  • Museum of Islamic art
  • 3-2-1 Olympic Museum

Also worth a visit is the Qatar National Library - takes my breath away every time I go in. So many books. Beautiful place. Fantastic coffee.

Katara as a promenade and beach area is lovely as well.

Lots of wonderful restaurants these days.

I have three small boys so lots of our stuff is geared around them.
Please
or

lrwe · 14/06/2022 17:20

Some of the famous restaurants (and yes they are expensive) include:

Nobu
La Mar (Peruvian food)
Wolfgang Puck
Coya
Zengo

Please
or

KarrotKake · 14/06/2022 17:20

Have you compared the average weather for the two destinations? Daytime temp in Doha may be no warmer, but it also doesnt drop overnight, so you get hot evenings and early mornings too.

Please
or

Jajana · 14/06/2022 17:47

Lovely recommendations. I will be sure to check those out, thanks @lrwe

@KarrotKake just had a quick look at historic averages and it ranges from 40c to 25c so it seems the nights to cool down

OP posts:
Please
or

chiffchaffchiff · 14/06/2022 18:18

Jajana · 14/06/2022 17:47

Lovely recommendations. I will be sure to check those out, thanks @lrwe

@KarrotKake just had a quick look at historic averages and it ranges from 40c to 25c so it seems the nights to cool down

🤣 I wouldn't call 25 cool!

I've only been for a layover and did the free 4 hour tour they offer. It was august and I remember being blasted like I'd opened an oven door when I stepped out of the airport. I've lived in Australia but it still felt extreme. There were beautiful buildings in the area with the embassy but it's against the law to take photos. The tour was from around 9am to 1pm and the only people I saw actually waking outside were clearly expats. By the time we got to the market at 12 the vendors had disappeared for an afternoon nap. It was interesting and modern but not somewhere I'd visit.

Please
or

balalake · 14/06/2022 18:42

I'd never go there. Basic human rights are something I expect in a country I visit.

Please
or

KarrotKake · 14/06/2022 18:45

Yeah, 25C at 3am....
It will be 30C, min, when you are awake!

Please
or

namechangeanonymous · 14/06/2022 18:45

Worst place I've visited ... It was a decade though and I know theyve undergone a lot of development

Please
or

MrsBrianODriscoll · 14/06/2022 18:47

balalake · 14/06/2022 18:42

I'd never go there. Basic human rights are something I expect in a country I visit.

@balalake

You saved me a post.

Please
or

Jajana · 14/06/2022 19:24

KarrotKake · 14/06/2022 18:45

Yeah, 25C at 3am....
It will be 30C, min, when you are awake!

Las Vegas is the same then… it’s 25c at 3am and 30c at 8am

OP posts:
Please
or

Jajana · 14/06/2022 19:25

@chiffchaffchiff thanks for the advice. It isn’t my first choice of destination if I’m honest but it seems like a good deal. Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

Midlifemusings · 14/06/2022 19:34

I used to live in Qatar. The nights do cool down. It isn't a happening night life city but still lots to do that is indoors or some areas have outdoor air conditioners.

And yes, there are class / human rights issues but many countries have those. Qatar is pretty 'new' in terms of being a developing coutnry and it has a ways to go. You can tip well and better the lives of the people with fewer rights.

Please
or

Jajana · 14/06/2022 20:03

Midlifemusings · 14/06/2022 19:34

I used to live in Qatar. The nights do cool down. It isn't a happening night life city but still lots to do that is indoors or some areas have outdoor air conditioners.

And yes, there are class / human rights issues but many countries have those. Qatar is pretty 'new' in terms of being a developing coutnry and it has a ways to go. You can tip well and better the lives of the people with fewer rights.

Thanks for the advice. I don’t drink so not really interested in nightlife. Just a change of scenery and have an interest in middle eastern culture.

OP posts:
Please
or

Midlifemusings · 14/06/2022 20:15

Jajana · 14/06/2022 20:03

Thanks for the advice. I don’t drink so not really interested in nightlife. Just a change of scenery and have an interest in middle eastern culture.

The culture is less middle eastern than you might expect! There is middle east culture and lots of great arabic markets and food but it is a very global population and in some ways just as Indian and Filipino as Arabic! It is a very interesting place.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?