Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

If you were to move to a different place in another country, where would it be?

50 replies

Roadtripper88 · 13/06/2022 05:10

Sort of similar to a different thread I started…

If you were to choose another place in a different country to live, where would it be?

OP posts:
Please
or

Monty27 · 13/06/2022 05:54

I've no idea. I haven't travelled that much.
Where would you go?

Please
or

daretodenim · 13/06/2022 05:59

LOL OP I see this is in holidays! I'm going to be a spoilsport now... I've lived in a number of countries. And the last thing to compare living somewhere different to is a holiday - more so if you don't speak the language!

So what I'll say my favourite place is would be a country that has the bureaucracies of Northern Europe with their efficiencies and health care systems, but with the weather of Southern Europe and the countryside and beaches of Scotland. 😁 Food would be a mixture of Indian, Persian/Iranian and Middle Eastern (so very wide with lots of fresh ingredients) with their sweets (including Tunisian) with the patisserie and chocolate of France.

😂

I think I'd be unbelievably fat if I lived in my fantasy land though! 😅

Please
or

Roadtripper88 · 13/06/2022 06:03

Ha you’re right! This probably doesn’t belong in holidays!

I’ve always wanted to try living in another country - not sure where to pin my fantasies so looking for inspiration! Maybe mine would New Zealand for the beauty?

But I like your food list, daretodenim!

OP posts:
Please
or

Costacoffeeplease · 13/06/2022 06:16

We did it, almost 20 years ago we moved to the algarve.

We started coming here on holiday in the late 80s

Please
or

smileyworld · 13/06/2022 06:25

We did it! We live in a place I visited in Switzerland when I was 14.

Have been here for 17 years and absolutely adore it. But as PP stated, it's not the same as being on holiday.

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 13/06/2022 11:12

Spain or Portugal. I am definitely considering this at the moment. Somewhere warm by the sea with plenty going on. Costacoffee - would you recommend the Algarve?

Please
or

Costacoffeeplease · 13/06/2022 12:14

It really depends what you are looking for. It’s not an easy move, especially post Brexit (from the U.K.) but we have survived almost 20 years and have no desire to leave.

Also, house prices have really shot up in the last year or so, so it’s not as affordable as it was.

Please
or

MrsMoastyToasty · 13/06/2022 12:20

We're thinking of moving to Scotland from England.
It's a big leap for me (I'm English) but not so much for DH (he's Scottish).

Please
or

travellifestyle · 13/06/2022 16:34

The south of France

Please
or

Fairislefandango · 13/06/2022 16:41

Tbh, much as I have loved visiting the countries I've been to, I wouldn't choose a single one of them to live in over the UK. They've all got drawbacks which would put me off in spite of their many positives. I'm not that well-travelled though, so maybe there are countries I'd decide I'd like to live in if I went to them. I hate very hot weather, so that would rule a lot of places out!

Please
or

motogirl · 13/06/2022 16:45

I fancy just heading off and travelling, seriously looking into feasibility. Dp can work remotely but I can't so I need to be able to earn at least something to contribute. Wouldn't mind (assuming they sort out current difficulties) living somewhere like Sri Lanka for a while but would return to the U.K. once older because healthcare is better

Please
or

Smileandtheworldsmileswithyou · 13/06/2022 16:46

We did it! We live in Kuala Lumpur.

Please
or

maddy68 · 13/06/2022 16:48

I have lived in 3 countries one being the UK. I now live in Spain
I disagree with the previous poster who said living there isn't the same as being on holiday. I find it is. I finish work every day and go for a drink and meet friends , go for food go for a swim etc.
It's bloody wonderful I will never go back to to the uk and this will be the last country I live in (Brexit has made that much more problematic )

Please
or

Kenneldogsrock · 13/06/2022 16:50

Santa Barbara or Santa Eulalia. I would love to live in Brisbane but it is such a long way away.

Please
or

RingBinderInjury · 13/06/2022 16:52

Nelson, New Zealand. Would move to the South Island in a flash were it not for kids and grandparents.

Please
or

Oldnews · 13/06/2022 16:54

If I won the lottery, I'd be straight to the Algarve. Lots of English speakers which would help with dentist, docs, day to day life (I do speak a bit of Portuguese, badly) , international school for kids, incredible weather and I've lived in Portugal before and spent lots of time there on holidays since.

Lottery me wants to live near Quinta do Lago.

Real life me would love to live in Australia, not too far from Melbourne.

I also love South Africa, and would love to say I'd live there, but realistically, that would have been pre-kids - it would be too difficult for me to raise a child there, sadly. If I wasn't thinking about that though, and could retain a UK salary whilst living in South Africa, I'd be buying a place in Constantia right now!

Please
or

SooticaTheWitchesCat · 14/06/2022 16:40

I lived in Turkey for a few years. It was lovely but I don't think I would live anywhere other the England permanently. I would like to spend a few months a year in Turkey though.

Please
or

midsomermurderess · 14/06/2022 16:49

I rather fancy Finland, but I think learning the language would be a bugger. Maybe not good timing right now with a very angry Russia on ome’s door step.

Please
or

Jewelanemone · 14/06/2022 16:49

Gili Asahan, Lombok. There's nothing there except a beautiful resort on the beach. However, I would have to sleep on the beach and slowly starve to death when the money ran out. Maybe I'll stay where I am 🤔

Please
or

BlackAmericanoNoSugar · 14/06/2022 16:58

I loved Finland but I was there in the summer, I don't think I would enjoy the winters much plus they have a lot of birch trees and I have a bad tree pollen allergy, especially sever for birch pollen, so spring would be a nightmare.

I've been to a few places that I could see myself enjoying life there, especially the Adelaide Hills and Handorf. So pretty and the food was amazing. I have always thought that a vineyard region anywhere would be a good bet, the weather will be pretty reasonable and people who make wine have excellent palates so the food is almost always good too.

My DH (Malaysian but hasn't lived there for about four decades) occasionally witters on about moving to Malaysia and there are some parts that I would tolerate but on the whole it would be too humid and traffic-y for me. The bit where most of his family live are dormitory towns for Kuala Lumpur and don't appeal to me at all, think Slough in oppressive heat.

Please
or

TheVanguardSix · 14/06/2022 16:58

For the people and music: Nigeria
For the food: Lebanon or Turkey
For quality of life: Netherlands
For beauty (the type of landscape I personally like): Switzerland/French-Italian Riviera/Provence

Please
or

TheVanguardSix · 14/06/2022 17:02

I rather fancy Finland, but I think learning the language would be a bugger. Maybe not good timing right now with a very angry Russia on ome’s door step.

Pretty much everyone (in the major cities) speaks English and English is pretty much the unofficial language of Helsinki. I'd still learn Finnish just because, but I think (much like the Netherlands and Sweden) Finland is a soft landing for us native English speakers. I think Finland would be amazing.

Please
or

Cuckoo48 · 14/06/2022 17:02

Netherlands without a shadow of a doubt.
Somewhere not too far from reasonably cosmopolitan Amsterdam or Utrecht.

Please
or

ReadtheReviews · 14/06/2022 17:04

Cuba! If I had a bit of money.

Please
or

Fairislefandango · 14/06/2022 17:38

One of the best bits for me about moving to a different country would be learning a new language! Finnish does look extremely difficult, but I like a challenge Grin <disclaimer: I am a language teacher, not a masochist>

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?