Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

In my position would you go in half term or term time?

30 replies

Confuzzledtimestwo · 12/06/2022 12:41

Hi, I posted on here yesterday asking about booking easyjet for half term.

I'm torn between booking October half term and term time either start of October or beginning of November.

I have three children, one starting Year 7 in September, one starting Year 9 in September and the eldest starting Year 11 in November.

All middle to top set, all homework always handed in on time, no negative behaviour points and all have always had 100% attendance BUT my two eldest caught covid last October and have both needed a couple of dentist appointments which means their attendance has dropped to 95-96%.
I spoke to the school about it and they told me attendance was taken from Sept so that's why it's dropped so low - presumably in Sept this year they will be back at 100%...?

Anyway. Given their Year groups, would you take them out for a week in October or November, or pay the extra for half term?

Even with a fine of £360, term time would be a massive amount cheaper but I'm a rule follower and the thought of taking them out of school illegally is playing havoc with my moral compass!

OP posts:
Please
or

Hercisback · 12/06/2022 12:42

Starting year 11 in November is an odd set up..?
They're halfway through GCSEs by then so I wouldn't be taking them out of school at all.

Please
or

TheFairyCaravan · 12/06/2022 12:43

I wouldn’t take a Yr11 child out of school in term time for a holiday.

Please
or

doistayordoigo · 12/06/2022 12:45

I wouldn't take a year 7 out at that time, they're just settling into secondary and new friendship groups are forming.

Please
or

Maireas · 12/06/2022 12:46

What school starts yr11 in November?

Please
or

Motherhubbardscupboard · 12/06/2022 12:46

I wouldn't take a Y11 out of school at all, it's such a critical year. If you really must go in term time, go straight after the GCSEs but I personally wouldn't have taken mine out at all in secondary school, they miss too much.

Please
or

Haggisfish3 · 12/06/2022 12:46

I wouldn’t take year 7 or 11 out for a holiday at all.

Please
or

Myrubbishlife · 12/06/2022 12:49

Sorry mistype! They're all starting their respective years in Sept :)

Please
or

motogirl · 12/06/2022 12:50

No, not in secondary school unless for exceptional circumstances. I didn't in primary either for holidays only things which the date was predetermined

Please
or

Myrubbishlife · 12/06/2022 12:50

Ah see, your responses have confirmed what I was thinking, it needs to be half term or not at all.

Thank you.

Please
or

dumdumduuuummmmm · 12/06/2022 12:50

Maireas · 12/06/2022 12:46

What school starts yr11 in November?

I think the OP means she wants to take them out of school in November. Not that term starts then

Please
or

Itsagrandoldteam · 12/06/2022 12:51

I would not take kids that age out of school in term time. I took my son out of school every year from reception through to year 5, but from year 6 onwards he did not miss any school for holidays.

Please
or

PutOnAHappyFace · 12/06/2022 12:52

We took DS out in November in year 7 and he was fine, no friendship or settling issues.

We will be taking them out this year while in years 7, 10 and 11. They have had a really horrible year and tbh I think the family time is just as important.

The fine would also be a lot less money than going outside of term time to.

Please
or

SpringRainbow · 12/06/2022 12:52

No, I wouldn’t.

Please
or

Maireas · 12/06/2022 12:57

Don't take them out in term time.
Every single family could say it's been a tough couple of years or whatever, but the impact will be negative mid year.
How about after the GCSEs are finished?

Please
or

SusieSimpleman · 12/06/2022 12:58

No, I wouldn't. We took them out for a week this year when oldest dc were in Y7 and Y9. However we're sticking mainly to the holidays from now as Y10 onwards is GCSE years.

We might well take them out for an odd Friday for a weekend break, but not full weeks.

Please
or

Bookmarket · 12/06/2022 12:59

Definitely not. Especially the Year 11. And maybe not even October half term if they have mocks before Christmas.

Please
or

redskyatnight · 12/06/2022 13:02

I wouldn't take secondary school children out during term time for a normal holiday.

And the Year 11 may well be doing mocks or essential coursework at that time, so definitely shouldn't be taken out!

Please
or

redskyatnight · 12/06/2022 13:04

Bookmarket · 12/06/2022 12:59

Definitely not. Especially the Year 11. And maybe not even October half term if they have mocks before Christmas.

Finding out when the school will have mocks is pretty vital. DC's school often have mocks the week after half term, so going away then would be a "no". But other schools don't have any until January (where going away at Christmas is a "no".

Please
or

dizzygirl1 · 12/06/2022 13:07

Re the year 11, my DD is Yr 11 next year, she's asked to not go away at all before GCSEs even in the half terms. I'd speak to your DC to see how they feel.

Please
or

Staynow · 12/06/2022 13:10

I wouldn't take my yr 11 away in term time.

Please
or

Hbh17 · 12/06/2022 13:11

None of these children should be missing any school at all. It's not about what their percentage is, but about the fact that school is important!

Please
or

snowgirl1 · 12/06/2022 13:13

Personally, I wouldn't take my DD out of school during term-time.

Please
or

converseandjeans · 12/06/2022 13:14

Mocks are often just before Christmas so the Year 11 would miss exam preparation and potentially exams depending on when the school has them.

Please
or

Shinyandnew1 · 12/06/2022 13:17

Myrubbishlife · 12/06/2022 12:49

Sorry mistype! They're all starting their respective years in Sept :)

Are you the OP with a different name?

I wouldn’t take year 7/11 out during term time, no.

Please
or

EdithWeston · 12/06/2022 13:21

I would not take a year 11 out during term time at all (and especially not if they had covid disruptions last year)

And I don't think that the first term of year 7 is a particularly good time to miss a week as they're still settling in and making friends.

I'd go during half term.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?