Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

16 year olds wanting to go on holiday alone

165 replies

GrumioEstEbrius · 12/06/2022 10:43

MY DD and three of her friends want to go on a holiday to celebrate the end of GCSEs. Just for 3 or 4 days, but alone with no adults. When I was their age lots of teens used to go inter-railing around Europe during the post-GCSE summer (DH did this and a couple of my mates from school did it too) but this no longer seems to be a thing for kids this age now.

So their options are to camp, static caravan or AirBNB in the UK.

My issue though is that do any campsites / rentals allow unsupervised 16 year olds?

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to what they could do? CentreParcs maybe?

OP posts:
Please
or

JuneJubilee · 12/06/2022 10:45

At 16 their options would be to have friends stay over at one of the houses.

they may want to go away by themselves, but it would not be happening. End of.

Please
or

MintyMoocow · 12/06/2022 10:45

Er no!

I am a liberal parent but I would not let my 16 yos go off on their own. Tent or caravan with responsible adult on same site.

Please
or

fyn · 12/06/2022 10:58

It you go on campsites.co.uk they have a filter for Unaccompanied Under 18s - aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucampsites.co.ukL3NlYXJjaC9jYW1wc2l0ZXMtZm9yLXVuZGVyLTE4cw==

I went away loads at 16 (around 2010 so not that long ago!) to festivals and stayed in friends holiday houses unaccompanied. We stayed together and were always sensible.

Please
or

SausageAndCash · 12/06/2022 11:00

YHA.

Lots of youth hostels have rooms and are v nice.

Please
or

TheRoadToRuin · 12/06/2022 11:05

Not a chance.
I would try to work out a compromise where they had an adult camping /caravanning nearby.

Please
or

GrumioEstEbrius · 12/06/2022 11:11

SausageAndCash · 12/06/2022 11:00

YHA.

Lots of youth hostels have rooms and are v nice.

Ooooh YHA - had forgotten about that. They did their DofE together and loved the hiking so they could do that.

OP posts:
Please
or

motogirl · 12/06/2022 11:12

I was going to say yha, book somewhere with an exclusive room just for them for additional piece of mind

Please
or

GrumioEstEbrius · 12/06/2022 11:15

@fyn DD1 did exactly this as one of her friends had a holiday flat in Bournemouth, but that's not an option for DD2.

I'm interested that a lot of posters would not do this without any supervision at all. I guess a lot depends on the nature of the kids involved. These are very sensible girls.

OP posts:
Please
or

JuneJubilee · 12/06/2022 11:17

They're all 'sensible' until they're not.

16 is too young IMO

Please
or

Madcats · 12/06/2022 11:19

I seem to remember that YHA dorms are still closed, but there ought to be rooms for 2-6 (often ensuite).

I think the hostels are about the only places that allow unsupervised under 18's.

Childhoods have changed, haven't they! I have fond memories of hiking to a nearby YHA for the night and coming home on the train/bus. Presumably one of us would phone our parents to say that we'd arrived (but I don't remember doing this).

Please
or

AgentProvocateur · 12/06/2022 11:21

At 15/16 mine spent five days walking an established route and wild camping then got the train home, but I don’t know if wild camping is allowed outside Scotland.

Please
or

FAQs · 12/06/2022 11:22

Interesting because last year two people I know let their children travel at that age, one to Spain with friends and another on her own to Russia. With a group maybe but not alone.

UK would be fine. YHA they can hire rooms or bell tents etc. They have to be 16 and over and have photographic ID.

Please
or

maeveiscurious · 12/06/2022 11:26

My ds and friends went to a hostel in Cornwall at 16. I spoke to the manager and the left our contact details. They had a great time.

Please
or

RockinHorseShit · 12/06/2022 11:30

This thread is quite sad. I was travelling to France on my own a few months passed 16, others doing inter rail & more.

DD & a small handful of her friends stayed in an AirBnB for 2 nights, ordered pizza & chatted all night. I knew her & her friends could be trusted & the owner of the AirBnB had sensible teens herself, so was quite happy for them to stay there alone so long as they had our contact details.

It really depends on your kids, but it can be done & not be a disaster

Please
or

NormalForNuneaton · 12/06/2022 11:31

I know a lot of 16 year olds who went to festivals like Boardmasters straight after their GCSEs ....I'm thankful that mine never wanted to as that would scare the crap out of me TBH. I've been to enough festivals in my time (aged 20+) to know I wouldn't want a 16 year old going.

Another friends daughter went with friends to a seafront Premier Inn for a few nights and one set of parents stayed in the same place so there was a contact/help if they needed it.

Please
or

SantiMakesMeLaugh · 12/06/2022 11:33

My dcs did that through the YHA.
campsites are often not keen in under 18yo, let alone a group of them. But they’ll have no issue with the Youth Hostel.

They can get a ‘family room’ (room of 4) too. A bit more expensive but they won’t be disturbed. Many of them are in towns, others in the middle of countryside. I’m sure they can find something nice :)

Please
or

Davros · 12/06/2022 11:35

Let them go on their own. I can't believe how many people think an adult should stay nearby. Better still, you go away and let them stay at home without you

Please
or

fruitpastille · 12/06/2022 11:36

At 16 I went youth hostelling with friends for a few nights hiking from one place to another. It's good for young people to do stuff like this and learn to be independent. It meant that at 17/18 I was ready to go further afield.

Please
or

SantiMakesMeLaugh · 12/06/2022 11:36

Btw, my dcs did that with no supervision at all.

once was the two of them together (16 and 17yo). The other was a group of 3 friends, all 16yo. They went for a 4 days walk, carrying all the stuff with them (one night in one YHA, one night in another).

If you are confident your dc is up to it, I’d leave them btw.

Please
or

yikesanotherbooboo · 12/06/2022 11:39

DD went to Newquay with her friends after GCSEs, this was very much a regular destination 15 years ago although my younger DC didn't do it.Reading was also a post GCSE trip .

Please
or

ChateauMargaux · 12/06/2022 11:41

Communication is important but yes, I would let my 16 year old go away for a few days with her friends as long as they checked in every day and I knew the details of their plan.

Please
or

Arnaquer · 12/06/2022 11:43

Mine went to festivals after their GCSES. It was a worry but a rite of passage. I went on a package holiday to Spain for a fortnight when I was 16 with friends

Please
or

BigSandyBalls2015 · 12/06/2022 11:45

Reading or Leeds festivals are popular post GCSE trips here.

I’m surprised that a lot of posters are saying no way! Quite a few head off abroad.

Please
or

Stopyourhavering64 · 12/06/2022 11:46

I went a YHA / walking holiday from Crianlarich to Skye with 4 friends ( boys and girls) after GCSEs ....had a fantastic time and have so many memories from that holiday...spent weeks planning the itinerary which was part of the fun
I'd been away several times with camps/ hillwalking etc so was fairly self reliant anyway but it fuelled my love of travel
my dcs have also developed a love of adventure and travel and have travelled extensively and independently since 17 yrs, travelling to Europe, S America and SE Asia ( and have also worked abroad) ...travel feeds the soul

Please
or

SpideySensesIsALoadOfShit · 12/06/2022 11:48

@NormalForNuneaton My youngest DD went to Boardmasters with her friends last summer when she was 16 (and we live a bloody long way from Cornwall, so I couldn't just have picked her up if there had been a problem). I just had to try not to think about it. She had a brilliant time. And I can't even say she's a sensible girl, because she isn't.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?