Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Sydney to Brisbane - fly or drive?

14 replies

manlyago · 11/06/2022 19:28

We are staying in Manly, Sydney for 10 nights over Christmas to see family then planning to visit other family in Brisbane. Worth driving or not? We'd only have a few days. Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

SweatyChamoisPad · 11/06/2022 19:32

I flew - easy and cheap!

Please
or

manlyago · 11/06/2022 19:38

yes thanks, just wondering if it was worth the drive i.e. places to see.

I should add we have three teenage boys 20,17,16

OP posts:
Please
or

MajorCarolDanvers · 11/06/2022 19:40

9.5 hour drive plus rest stops.

I'd fly.

Please
or

DogDaysNeverEnd · 11/06/2022 19:54

How long do you have for your holiday all together? There are places to visit and airport faff can take longer than you think but it really depends on where you want to spend time. The beaches north of Newcastle are great and Byron, tho probably overrun at Christmas. Its peak Aussie travel time so accommodation might be tricky to find and pricy. You could look at relocating campers for the drive, but maybe more luck north to south. You get a 'free' camper and a few days to make the journey just paying for fuel.

Please
or

Kingstonmumof1 · 11/06/2022 19:58

Fly!

Please
or

DogDaysNeverEnd · 11/06/2022 20:02

Flying is obviously the quick and easy option but if you've not experienced a long-distance drive it is something different, if only to be greatful that you could be half way across Europe in the same time....

Please
or

manlyago · 11/06/2022 20:13

@DogDaysNeverEnd we have 10/13 nights Manly (we're arriving in 2 lots due to school/work/Uni dates) then leave Manly 28th and 3 of us fly back from Brisbane evening of 2nd the other two on the 5/6th.

OP posts:
Please
or

Cormoran · 11/06/2022 20:14

Fly! @manlyago

Australian motorways are so slow compared to Europe!! It is a never-ending journey. With 3 teenage boys in the back, tucked together, hell no.

It isn't a scenic route . Yes, there are a few spots if you want to stop, like Port Stephens, Byron Bay, but you need to get out of the motorway and drive quite a bit towards the Coast.

If you are staying in Manly for 10 days, between Curl Curl, Freshwater, Palm Beach, Shelly Beach , Collins Beach, ... you have your share of gorgeous beaches.

Make sure to plan some viewings/alternatives for wet weather as a plan B, we have had 2 years of La Niña, extreme wet weather and we have just received warnings we are in for a 3rd year. www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jun/10/triple-la-nina-australia-may-face-another-summer-of-flooding-rains-us-expert-warns

If Niña is confirmed, you might want to move to the Western Coast. Plenty of lovely things to see/do. Careful up North (north of Bundaberg in Queensland and in Geraldton in Western Australia) , it will be stinger season (Box Jelly fish) and you can't go in the water.

Do not underestimate the scarcity of accomodation in Australia . It is crazy .

Please
or

Cormoran · 11/06/2022 20:18

Crosspost. East coast it is

Please
or

manlyago · 11/06/2022 20:18

Thanks @Cormoran that's very helpful. Yes we're right next to Little Shelly beach - very cool! Sounds like flying is the way to go.I'd love to go north but my brother is in Brisbane and we're visiting him and his two little kids. They'll be just back off a long haul from the UK (yes we didn't plan this very well!😂🙄) so I imagine they will want to just stay local. I'll see what they say though.

OP posts:
Please
or

Cherryblossoms85 · 11/06/2022 20:20

It's not that interesting a drive. Depends if you enjoy a few thousand miles of bumfuck nowhere with the risk of the Aircon failing (when I was little we did that drive with no Aircon, seatbelt buckles would burn my hands). I'd fly.

Please
or

Rainbowqueeen · 11/06/2022 20:24

I’d fly. Your time is better spent doing things around brisbane like the Gold Coast theme parks and the Sunshine Coast/ australia zoo

Please
or

DogDaysNeverEnd · 11/06/2022 20:25

Oh no definitely fly of you only have a couple of days before heading off. Your back won't have recovered before the mammoth flight home otherwise (assuming you are UK based).

Please
or

manlyago · 11/06/2022 20:27

Sounds like flying is the way to go!

@Rainbowqueeen Yes that's a good point actually. What is there to do in/near Brisbane? Been to the gold coast, the zoo and Noosa. Is there any other good things to do?

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?