Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Paignton with 2yo in September- any recommendations?

17 replies

KatieKat88 · 11/06/2022 07:04

Looking at a house in Goodrington for a week with DH, DD(2, will almost be 3 by then) and my parents mid-September. Has anyone got any recommendations of places to visit/things to do? We're all pretty active and like to explore new places. We'll want to go to the beach but probably not for hours on end.

OP posts:
Please
or

TigerRag · 11/06/2022 07:19

The zoo?

Please
or

Babytalkobsession · 11/06/2022 07:21

Hi, I live further inland towards Exeter but can suggest a few days out if you don't mind driving. I don't know Paignton that well - it has the typical beachside amusements, crazy golf etc

• Brixham is a lovely fish village further along the coast
  • inland you have Ullacombe Farm shop which is good for little ones, and close to the Moor (climb Haytor?)
  • Haldon forest for bike rides, walks, there's usually a trail on for little ones and a cafe. They also have GoApe there
  • Orange Elephant Ice Cream parlour is amazing, it only opens for summer but might still be going in early Sept. Lovely meadow play area and maze
  • Exeter itself is a fab city with a good child friendly museum. Exeter Quay is nice, you can hire kayaks and paddle boards etc or just walk
  • there's lots to do in Torquay
  • Paignton Zoo
  • ferry / boat trips.

Enjoy you holiday 😊
Please
or

Simplelobsterhat · 11/06/2022 07:24

We stayed there about 5 years ago when ds was a similar age (but also had older dd with us too). I remember really enjoying Paignton Zoo. We took a boat trip to Brixham too, having walked round the headland to Paignton harbour. I do remember going to another beach in a less built up area which looking at a map must have been Broadsands. We found a little farm / country park on the way in to stop for our picnic when we arrived too early to check in - Occombe Farm.

I know there was a steam train which kids enjoyed seeing from beach but we didnt get round to going on. It was the kind of place there was more to do than we would get round to in the week with torquay, Dartmouth , babbacombe so close as well, but we spent a fair bit of time looking at rock pools on the beach and in our holiday park pool and playground so didn't get round to them.

Please
or

Parky04 · 11/06/2022 07:27

We are going to Dartmouth on Monday. One trip we are doing is a boat ride from Dartmouth to Totnes, a bus from Totnes to Paignton and then a steam train from Paignton to Dartmouth. You could start with the steam train from Paignton to Dartmouth.

Please
or

Mindymomo · 11/06/2022 07:30

There is Paignton Zoo and a steam train that goes from Paignton to Kingswear where you can get ferry boat over to Dartmouth.

Please
or

123ZYX · 11/06/2022 07:37

Paignton zoo for a full day out

You can do the Otter and butterfly sanctuary, combined with the small rare breeds farm and a steam train between the two - full day for the three, less than half a day for each individually. They used to do a combined ticket for all three, but had stopped when I last looked - much cheaper if they re-start it.

Babbacombe model village (2 or 3 hours)

Torquay dinosaur world (1 or 2 hours)

Plenty of nice beaches - Goodrington sands in Paignton has good rockpools

Please
or

KatieKat88 · 11/06/2022 08:55

Thank you all for your suggestions - they all sound fab! We're happy to drive to places. Definitely planning on going to the zoo and I think she'd really enjoy a steam train! I'm guessing we'll be closest to Goodington Sands in terms of beaches but happy to travel to others too. I have vague memories of the model village as a child so that would be lovely to take DD to. Definitely happy to go to Torquay, Dartmouth kind of distances, possibly not as far as Exeter unless there's something really unmissable for a day trip? A boat/ferry trip would be fun too. We've only managed a day trip to the beach with DD and she was about 9 months old so just being around the sea will be lovely and a big novelty! We're driving down from the Midlands so want to find somewhere to stop to break the journey up for an hour or two - preferably National Trust as we're members.

OP posts:
Please
or

123ZYX · 11/06/2022 08:59

I've not visited myself, but Tyntesfield is meant to be nice. Just off the M5 near Bristol.

Please
or

APurpleSquirrel · 11/06/2022 09:11

Other places nearby:

Pennywell Farm
The House of Marbles (free & has an amazing restaurant)
South Devon Railway
Buckfastleigh Otter Sanctuary & Butterfly farm (you can get cheap admission usually through Groupon)
Paignton Zoo
Stover Country Park
Adventure Park at Trago Mills
Canonteign Falls
Becky Falls
Haldon Forest
Miniature Pony Centre, Dartmoor
The Orange Elephant Ice Cream Parlour (just reopened, weekends only atm)
Babbacombe Model Village
River Dart County Park
Powderham Castle
Woodlands Theme Park
Crealy
Castle Drogo (NT)

Please
or

OldWivesTale · 11/06/2022 09:21

Drive to Broadsands beach and park there the walk across the open grassy headland to Elberry Cove; it's only about a 10- 15 minute walk but it's lovely and you don't need to walk near the cliff edges to enjoy the views; then Elberry Cove itself is lovely. Also Broadsands Beach itself is much nicer than Goodrington IMO.

As PP said, drive to Totnes and take the boat round to Dartmouth. The river is beautiful.

Totnes Market on a Friday and Saturday is nice to walk around.

Please
or

123ZYX · 11/06/2022 09:25

If you're National trust members, you might want to go to Greenway - Agatha Christie's home. If you do, book parking as soon as you can or plan to get the boat, because they have barely any parking

Please
or

KatieKat88 · 11/06/2022 19:03

123ZYX · 11/06/2022 08:59

I've not visited myself, but Tyntesfield is meant to be nice. Just off the M5 near Bristol.

I clocked that one on the NT app this morning - think that's a great shout, thank you Smile hoping there's a play area near the car park for DD to run off some steam!

OP posts:
Please
or

KatieKat88 · 11/06/2022 19:04

123ZYX · 11/06/2022 09:25

If you're National trust members, you might want to go to Greenway - Agatha Christie's home. If you do, book parking as soon as you can or plan to get the boat, because they have barely any parking

I'll look into it, thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

blueyellowblack · 11/06/2022 21:06

Colyton fish acre is also a great NT place near greenway. Stunning views over the sea.

Berry head in Brixham is also a lovely walk and views. Often see porpoise's swimming.

Please
or

EBathory · 11/06/2022 21:25

The steam strain from Paignton to Dartmouth stops at goodrington, also there is the zoo, occombe farm, babbacome model village and downs.
Slightly further afield but within an hour or so drive, crealy adventure park, woodlands, national marine aquarium
Slightly further, Eden project

Please
or

APurpleSquirrel · 11/06/2022 21:52

NT Tyntesfield is lovely - there are several play areas; one near the entrance & cafe; one down at the Orangery on the far side & about 4 up in the woods on the hill.

Please
or

KatieKat88 · 12/06/2022 06:00

APurpleSquirrel · 11/06/2022 21:52

NT Tyntesfield is lovely - there are several play areas; one near the entrance & cafe; one down at the Orangery on the far side & about 4 up in the woods on the hill.

Amazing, we'll definitely give there a try, thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?