Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Catching the Ferry, how congested around Dover?

5 replies

Peregrina · 10/06/2022 20:40

Just that.

We will be catching the 8 am ferry from Dover in just under two weeks time, so just before the school holidays start. Hearing about the lorry congestion on the approaches to Dover, I wondered what it was like for cars.

Normally we are a three hour drive away. Should I allow extra and if so how much?

OP posts:
Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 13/06/2022 12:08

The lorries are parked up separately so normally by car it should be fine - however it doesn't seem to take much to cause a problem so I would definitely allow extra time especially as passport control is taking longer due to Brexit.

Please
or

Peregrina · 13/06/2022 18:12

That's helpful thanks. Do they check your passport before you get on the ferry?
Years ago, before the Single Market I remember in some cases that the passport people were on the ferry itself.

OP posts:
Please
or

kilojules · 13/06/2022 18:26

Peregrina · 13/06/2022 18:12

That's helpful thanks. Do they check your passport before you get on the ferry?
Years ago, before the Single Market I remember in some cases that the passport people were on the ferry itself.

We went during the May half term so it was pretty busy. And similar time as you. We arrived about an hour before departure and despite the queues and passport control it was plenty of time. You will get an email
a couple of days before to advise arrival timings. The cars have their own lanes.

There are 2 passport controls on route to the ferry the French and the UK border control and then the ferry operator booth where they check your ferry booking and give you the lane number. They wanted the actual booking number and not qr code with Irish ferries so have that handy and windows down as you get to booth if you have passengers in the back seats as they check faces..
have a lovely time away!

Please
or

Clymene · 13/06/2022 19:23

Which way will you come? It depends if operation brock is in play if you're travelling on the M20.

You can check here: nationalhighways.co.uk/travel-updates/operation-brock/

Please
or

Peregrina · 13/06/2022 20:32

I imagine via the M20. The link looks very useful, so thanks all.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?