Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

How much spending money for Santorini?

10 replies

piddocktrumperiness · 08/06/2022 11:51

Super hopeful the flight goes ahead and no issues-how much would you recommend, as a range per day for Santorini. I'm staying there for 7 nights. I'm thinking of £50 a day per person (me and SO)- breakfast at a cafe, and either lunch or dinner, plus the lounging bits and pieces such as ordering a drink or something to get a lounger.
It also includes the potential taxi rides to and from airport and to Oia from Perivolos, twice (where we are staying), to and from Perivolos from Kamari

Typing this out actually looks like that £50 is nothing- I've no clue :)

OP posts:
Please
or

nevergoingback · 08/06/2022 11:53

I would definitely take more if you can , money runs away on holiday

Please
or

GingerFoxInAT0phat · 08/06/2022 11:54

I’d be looking at more like £200 a day as a minimum, then extra for activities, etc. And also some back up money available.

Please
or

piddocktrumperiness · 08/06/2022 12:24

Thank you!
I used to take cash with me pre covid and split them into envelopes so I know what I've got- and now I'm not so sure nowadays- what money card/s do you know is accepted across the island that I can get sorted these days?

OP posts:
Please
or

nevergoingback · 08/06/2022 13:21

cash is easilly lost i only ever use cards and take a really small amount of cash

Please
or

Amelion · 08/06/2022 15:20

I haven’t taken cash for years on holiday. I just use my card (Monzo - no charge for foreign transactions).

I would say £50 each might not be enough. Santorini is very expensive and it adds up quite quickly. If you’re on a budget then I’m sure you can manage with £50 each but if you can afford to have a bit more, I would.

Please
or

Lordofmyflies · 08/06/2022 21:23

Santorini is crazy expensive. I'd be looking at least £200 a day. A coffee can cost £6 alone, cocktails £15 each. Most food is imported and then there is tipping of about £5 added to each bill too. Obviously you can self cater or use food stalls but I dont think £50 will get you far.

Please
or

Blowyourowntrumpet · 08/06/2022 21:27

I'd take more if you can. Where are you staying? Thira and Oia are very expensive, there are some nice cheaper places to eat in, for example, Kamari. Have a brilliant time.

Please
or

Hellsbe · 08/06/2022 22:04

I’m not long back from Greece (not Santorini) and I’d say that’s too little. You will struggle with that amount.
Dh and I spent about 100 euros a day for the two of us. That got us lunch (usually just a snack) as we made a decent breakfast at our Airbnb, and a two course evening meal with wine.

Also things like sunbeds which didn’t cost much, a couple of bus trips and snacks wine and water. We didn’t include our large shop for food and drinks in the supermarket in the spends as we would have been spending that amount at home!
Greece, both the mainland and the islands are really reasonable, but Santorini is well known for being expensive!

Please
or

SunnyShiner · 08/06/2022 22:30

Santorini is v expensive since the instagrammers high jacked it. I use Monzo but would expect to spend about £100 a day really plus more for taxis.

Sun loungers etc are pricey too. It's beautiful and you'll enjoy it but I was shocked at the prices compared to other islands.

Please
or

piddocktrumperiness · 09/06/2022 07:57

Thanks everyone!
We're staying at an airbnb in Perivolos but hope to spend a day in Oia, maybe an evening meal in Oia and watch a film in the outdoor cinema in Kamari. My partner is keen on a boat cruise but I'm not that fussed as I can't swim so I guess we'll decide there and then. The rest of the time is for rest and relaxation at the beach. I think it's best to put aside more than less, judging from the experiences of posters here :)

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?