Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Ikos Dassia

26 replies

quicklybeendrivenmad · 07/06/2022 16:05

Looking at this hotel, is it as good as it looks?

OP posts:
Please
or

gracedentssketty · 07/06/2022 16:07

Following as I’ve been looking at this too!

Please
or

FoodieToo · 07/06/2022 18:24

Yes ! Was there at Easter . Fab . The best part is the food . The à la carte restaurants are amazing .

Please
or

gracedentssketty · 08/06/2022 13:20

@FoodieToo what was it like for kids?

Please
or

FoodieToo · 08/06/2022 19:16

Hi Grace . I didn’t bring my kids but I do have 5 of them so I was keeping an eye on on things !!!
It depends on the age of your kids . I would say if they were under 10 it would be great .
There is a kids’ club and a splash area for them .
You can hire bikes and do some basic water sports feee of charge ( paddle boards and kayaks ) . Those might be more suited to older kids ?
There were many younger kids there when we were there .
I would like to being mine BUT I think the quality of the food would be a bit wasted on them ? All teens now so they want easy access to burgers etc . So I am going to wait till they are older to bring them . I also fear there is not enough for teens to do .

We are going to Atlantica Aegean Blue in the summer . We were there before . It’s not as fancy as Ikos ( it is a 5 star though ) but has a water park and the food is less ‘fine’ !!!

So overall I think Ikos great for younger kids . And AMAZING for adults . I went with two girl friends . We’ve rebooked for next year !!!

Please
or

Afterfire · 08/06/2022 19:19

I can’t comment on that particular hotel as it wasn’t there some years ago when we went but I LOVE Dassia! Just beautiful and lots to see and do, plenty of places to stroll round within walking distance. Get a taxi to corfu town and make sure you do a boat trip to Kefalonia.

Please
or

FoodieToo · 08/06/2022 20:37

Apologies for typos above . I need to stop typing posts on phone ......

Please
or

billycorn · 08/06/2022 21:27

If you want an authentic Greek experience, I’d avoid this hotel.
Wasn’t keen on Corfu in general, it’s very British!

Please
or

gracedentssketty · 09/06/2022 09:01

@FoodieToo amazing thank you! Our kids are both under 5 and we are big foodies so it sounds great!

Please
or

gracedentssketty · 09/06/2022 09:01

@Afterfire thank you!

Please
or

gracedentssketty · 09/06/2022 09:04

@billycorn thank you - if we had older kids or were going on our own then we would probably seek out more authenticity (we loved travelling pre-kids and never stayed at these sorts of places) but with 2 small children we just want sun, good food, nice pools/surrounding and “easy”

Hoping to ditch the kids for husbands 40th next year and seek out a bit more culture!

Please
or

GratitudeGoddess · 09/06/2022 23:39

I looked at Ikos Dassia for next year and it looks to be fully booked 🤔

Please
or

FoodieToo · 10/06/2022 00:25

GratitudeGoddess · 09/06/2022 23:39

I looked at Ikos Dassia for next year and it looks to be fully booked 🤔

For summer ? I’ve looked at loads of dates for next year and always available.

Please
or

gracedentssketty · 10/06/2022 06:40

I found dates in April next year but nothing this year bar 1 very expensive week in October

Please
or

GratitudeGoddess · 10/06/2022 09:59

I managed to find some dates for next year but sadly not for the dates that I planned.

Please
or

TheLette · 23/06/2022 20:26

I've been to Ikos Dassia and Ikos Oceania. It's excellent although now extremely expensive. We get a proper holiday and relax even though we have young kids.

The one thing I would say is - if you are a proper gourmet - the food isn't quite as good as you'd expect. Nothing is bad but the focus seems to be on fancy presentation and ingredients but it's not like proper Michelin star food. I've generally enjoyed the Dine Out restaurants the most - their food is simpler but local and much tastier. I only say this because I think the price Ikos charges is getting silly. It's still excellent though and it makes for a properly relaxing holiday when you have young kids.

Ikos Dassia was my favourite - Corfu Town is lovely. The shuttle bus there is very handy and made the holiday feel like being in Greece (otherwise the hotel doesn't feel Greek at all). I didn't find it too "British" at all but I didn't see much of the island apart from Corfu Town, a small beach location (which was stunning) and the hotel.

Please
or

Forestgate · 23/06/2022 20:30

Food and drink pretty average and vibe is Britain by the beach. Everyone there probably on mumsnet. Good if you have toddlers or babies as very child friendly. Howver babysitting etc all extra and 20-30euro per hour.. hotel itself nice but now very expensive, not sure the price or the hype is justified

Please
or

TheLette · 24/06/2022 08:29

I don't think babysitting is 20-30 EUR per hour? The creche is 35 EUR for a 3 hour slot which seems reasonable to me (although I pay ridiculous London nursery fees usually). The kids club is free for 4+. I used an evening babysitter in Dassia a few years ago and it was 10 EUR an hour. Again, seems reasonable.

Please
or

FoodieToo · 24/06/2022 19:25

Forestgate · 23/06/2022 20:30

Food and drink pretty average and vibe is Britain by the beach. Everyone there probably on mumsnet. Good if you have toddlers or babies as very child friendly. Howver babysitting etc all extra and 20-30euro per hour.. hotel itself nice but now very expensive, not sure the price or the hype is justified

I couldn't agree that 'food and drink pretty average' ! Do you mean average among five star luxury hotels ?
We take very nice holidays but would never call Ikos average , very much high end .

Please
or

FreeButtonBee · 24/06/2022 19:32

What’s the weather like at Easter?

Please
or

Mushroo · 24/06/2022 19:34

I’ve been to Ikos aria and it was brilliant. No fights for sun beds, beautifully clean, excellent service, proper drinks and cocktails and nice food.

I agree with the above that some of the evening meals are a bit style over substance but I’m being very picky - it is worlds above a ‘normal’ all inclusive.

its the only hotel chain that I’m actively looking to go back and try others.

Please
or

FoodieToo · 24/06/2022 22:39

FreeButtonBee · 24/06/2022 19:32

What’s the weather like at Easter?

It was lovely this Easter but I don't like the heat anyway. Sunny every day and early twenties I think ? Pool all heated so you can swim regardless.
Going back next Easter .

Please
or

loveisagirlnameddaisy · 25/06/2022 11:52

Do you book directly with the hotel and sort flights separately or book a package with a tour operator?

Please
or

MsSquiz · 25/06/2022 19:21

TheLette · 23/06/2022 20:26

I've been to Ikos Dassia and Ikos Oceania. It's excellent although now extremely expensive. We get a proper holiday and relax even though we have young kids.

The one thing I would say is - if you are a proper gourmet - the food isn't quite as good as you'd expect. Nothing is bad but the focus seems to be on fancy presentation and ingredients but it's not like proper Michelin star food. I've generally enjoyed the Dine Out restaurants the most - their food is simpler but local and much tastier. I only say this because I think the price Ikos charges is getting silly. It's still excellent though and it makes for a properly relaxing holiday when you have young kids.

Ikos Dassia was my favourite - Corfu Town is lovely. The shuttle bus there is very handy and made the holiday feel like being in Greece (otherwise the hotel doesn't feel Greek at all). I didn't find it too "British" at all but I didn't see much of the island apart from Corfu Town, a small beach location (which was stunning) and the hotel.

@TheLette can I ask if the shuttle bus is easy enough to do with a pram? We're booked for next year and will have a 3yr old and 1yr old, but definitely want to make good use of the bus

Please
or

MsSquiz · 25/06/2022 19:25

Also, can those who have been to Dassia and used the kids club, crèche or babysitting let me know how they were?

It will be our first holiday with our girls and they've only ever been left with family but we'd quite maybe one evening meal just DH and me, or the kids club if dd1 wanted to do it. I'm just quite nervous as my DM never used those amenities when I was a kid and DH never went abroad with his family as a child

Please
or

TheLette · 25/06/2022 20:05

We took an umbrella style buggy and that went on the bus. I think just taking a compact folding buggy and you'll be fine. They also have some available to borrow at the hotel.

Babysitter - we used one night. It was a lady from the kids club who my daughter knew. But she came after we put my daughter to sleep so my daughter had no clue! You aren't far from the room if you go to one of the on-site restaurants so you could make it back within 5 min max if there was an issue.

Kids club - my 4 year old loves it. The 1 year old not so much but got more comfortable as the week went on (they went every morning). Both attend nursery normally. They seem to do fun activities there and they have a soft play which is a massive attraction. Lovely clean space and nice ladies working there. I have no qualms personally.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?