Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

More like to have cancelled flight - Ryanair or Easyjet

20 replies

Maggiethecat · 06/06/2022 15:05

I seem to hear more about Easyjet flights being cancelled and wonder if Ryanair has a less of a staffing problem?
Sorting summer hol and am tempted to book something based on airline and greater chance of getting there.

OP posts:
Please
or

Sirzy · 06/06/2022 15:08

At the moment ryanair seem ok but I think anything could happen!

Please
or

WhatTheWhoTheWhatThe · 06/06/2022 15:11

As loathed as Ryanair seem to be the buggers do get you to where you are going or so it seems. We’ve just flown with them over half term and all was fine. Have also just booked for summer with Jet2 they seem to be doing ok as well (that’s a package holiday though which I wouldn’t normally do but as someone pointed out on another thread package holidays are probably a bit safer at the minute as you can get refunded for the whole thing if cancelled)

Please
or

Maggiethecat · 06/06/2022 15:32

I know, they continue to surprise!! Flew with them in Ryanair and for all my grumbles they were ok.

@WhatTheWhoTheWhatThe - good point about the package hol - normally would book hotel/flights separately but not sure if my insurance would cover hotel costs if we couldnt get there.

OP posts:
Please
or

EileenGC · 06/06/2022 15:46

I have never had an issue with Ryanair and use them dozens of time a year sometimes. Never a delay of more than 1h. Only time I had a flight cancelled (during Covid), I was automatically rebooked and when I declined that, had a full refund 2 days later.

They seem to be doing okay right now, friends and family have used them in the last couple of weeks with no issues.

EasyJet are just bad at communication. Always have been, and right now they’re one of the hardest hit. It’s spreading across their European network as well - my local airport in Germany (an easyJet hub…) has tonnes of delayed and cancelled easyJet flights today. Knock-on effect from their initial UK issues but now affecting their other easyJet bases.

Please
or

NightOwl101 · 06/06/2022 15:53

I've heard jet2 are having a lot of problems with flights and delays, we're due to fly with them tomorrow which is worrying

Please
or

PetersRabbitt · 06/06/2022 15:53

Ryan air is ok as long as it’s not from Manchester but it is definitely coming with Ryan air!!

Please
or

GiantKitten · 06/06/2022 15:54

I've heard jet2 are having a lot of problems with flights and delays, we're due to fly with them tomorrow which is worrying

Interesting - I’d heard the opposite - that they haven’t cancelled anything!
Can’t remember where I saw it though.

Please
or

NightOwl101 · 06/06/2022 16:19

GiantKitten they delayed a flight from my destination by over 20 hours, sent people to a hotel then flew them to a different part of the UK and arranged a coach transfer to the original airport, people on twitter are going wild

Please
or

zafferana · 06/06/2022 16:59

Easyjet definitely. I don't think Ryanair have cancelled anything and I read an interview with Michael O'Leary at the weekend who said that Ryanair had started recruiting for this summer long before any of their competitors, so they were able to hit the ground running. Now, of course he wants to make his airline sound much better than its competitors, but recent evidence would seem to bear that out.

Please
or

Maggiethecat · 06/06/2022 18:20

Have to give Michael Be'Wary some credit for foresight and planning then!
Shame I have to consider destination based on airline service but that's how it's looking.

OP posts:
Please
or

willstarttomorrow · 06/06/2022 18:57

Aside from airport chaos, Easyjet, Jet2, BA and Tui seem to be the airlines most impacted due to staffing issues. I have found these airlines far more expensive in recent years than Ryanair- despite everyone proclaiming they would never fly with them they are always being full.

We have travelled a lot in Europe using budget airlines over the years (several times a year). We also live in the North so legacy airlines are not an option. I have never had an issue with Ryanair (or Wizzair who we also use a lot). The terms and conditions are very clear on booking and their business model is just a bus in the sky with add ons. I am a bit fed up with people complaining about these companies based on nothing. I have never had any issues- even in covid times. As long as you book the luggage you need, book seats if you want them and check-in online they get you where you want to be on time. If you want a cancellation policy (because you may cancel-not them) then pay the extra. When they have cancelled a flight I have always got refunded or moved to another flight with no issues. Their business model works.

Please
or

Amelion · 07/06/2022 08:24

I’d go with Ryanair definitely.

Please
or

Amelion · 07/06/2022 08:25

(I mean I’d fly with Ryanair. I think EasyJet more likely to be cancelled).

Please
or

shinynewapple22 · 07/06/2022 09:39

I flew with jet 2 twice earlier this year and no problem . A friend had her return flight delayed until the following day last week - but they were placed in a hotel overnight . This was on a package .

Please
or

MiniCooperLover · 07/06/2022 10:08

Ryanair are having 'over selling' issues, but their flights are going. It probably helps that they lost a lot of their European licences a couple of years ago and so they had already had to restructure their staff, move people around, etc. But I was on a flight the other day from Crete and they had to leave 2 people behind as they'd overbooked the flight (because they were bringing people home having cancelled their places on previous flights) so no-one is perfect at the moment (and they hadn't restocked on food or drinks annoyingly).

Also, Jet2 aren't cancelling but they do seem to be having decent delays at the minute but that could be more down to the airports, hard to know.

Please
or

Maggiethecat · 07/06/2022 23:22

willstarttomorrow · 06/06/2022 18:57

Aside from airport chaos, Easyjet, Jet2, BA and Tui seem to be the airlines most impacted due to staffing issues. I have found these airlines far more expensive in recent years than Ryanair- despite everyone proclaiming they would never fly with them they are always being full.

We have travelled a lot in Europe using budget airlines over the years (several times a year). We also live in the North so legacy airlines are not an option. I have never had an issue with Ryanair (or Wizzair who we also use a lot). The terms and conditions are very clear on booking and their business model is just a bus in the sky with add ons. I am a bit fed up with people complaining about these companies based on nothing. I have never had any issues- even in covid times. As long as you book the luggage you need, book seats if you want them and check-in online they get you where you want to be on time. If you want a cancellation policy (because you may cancel-not them) then pay the extra. When they have cancelled a flight I have always got refunded or moved to another flight with no issues. Their business model works.

I’d gone off Ryanair after I had 2 separate instances of delayed luggage - no fun being on holiday for a couple of days without your stuff.

Recent times have been better and I’ve just booked with them to Mallorca in July - hope it’ll be fine.

OP posts:
Please
or

riesenrad · 09/06/2022 13:24

Easyjet. I don't think Ryanair is cancelling flights.

Whatever, their business model seems to be to take your money and then deny boarding on any pretext possible so who knows. Their latest wheeze is telling people their passports are likely to be fake and demanding other ID.

I wouldn't fly with either airline.

Please
or

BinBandit · 09/06/2022 15:58

I'm just back with Jet2, no issues whatsoever. They did come up and announce a delay (1 and a half hours) with a flight whilst we were waiting to board and the reason given was a delay at Bristol for the flight coming in. We actually boarded and left a little early. I think Jet2 use a lot of their own staff for handling baggage etc which has meant that they are less reliant on 3rd party contractors than some other airlines. However they have been impacted with delays at security which they have little control over.

Please
or

RampantIvy · 10/06/2022 08:00

NightOwl101 · 06/06/2022 16:19

GiantKitten they delayed a flight from my destination by over 20 hours, sent people to a hotel then flew them to a different part of the UK and arranged a coach transfer to the original airport, people on twitter are going wild

If they had flown with Ryanair the airline wouldn't have done any of that.

Please
or

MiniCooperLover · 10/06/2022 10:23

RampantIvy · 10/06/2022 08:00

If they had flown with Ryanair the airline wouldn't have done any of that.

I would normally have agreed with you, but last week I was coming back from Greece (with RyanAir) and a lady told me she'd been bumped off her flight by RyanAir the day before, they'd taken her and another couple to a 5* nearby in a taxi, given them compensation to pay for dinner and taxi'd them back the next day. So sometimes they do step up, but I wonder if this was because it was only a few people, rather than a whole flight.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?