Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

What is Turkey like for holiday with children

25 replies

MusicMagpie · 06/06/2022 09:11

Only ever been to Spain or Greece with dc but pricing it up for a week in summer holidays and prices are ridiculously high. Turkey seems to be a lot more reasonable but I’ve never been before… can any one advise what it’s like with dc

OP posts:
Please
or

BigSandyBalls2015 · 06/06/2022 09:15

Too hot!

Please
or

discoohno · 06/06/2022 09:17

Quite a big country!!! Can you be more specific ? Ages of kids? What you like doing?

Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 06/06/2022 11:01

There’s no other way to put it: it’s hot. July averages about 35C and sometimes more but it’s dry hot so it is more bearable than if it was more humid. Avoid the big resorts as they are bulit up concrete jungles that retain the heat, and choose a hotel with a good kids so your dc can do something inside with aircon during the middle of the day.

Please
or

BigSandyBalls2015 · 06/06/2022 12:12

It was mid 40s when I was there, unbearable.

Please
or

ponkydonkey · 06/06/2022 12:22

I love turkey and so do my kids!
It does get really hot in the summer months... 38/40 in July

We usually go in May half term which is usually a perfect temperature

The food is great and the people are lovely and speak very good English too.

As it's slightly cheaper than Europe you can get a 5 star holiday at a reasonable rate! Go for it!

Please
or

MobLife · 06/06/2022 15:22

How old are your kids?

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 06/06/2022 15:24

Very hot. I’d stick with Greece and the Balearics.
Saw something in the Daily Mail where there was an attempted abduction of a young child, so beware, but then you should always be aware.

Please
or

Hollipolly · 06/06/2022 17:18

Can you go in May? I booked Antalya for next May.

Please
or

mubarak86 · 06/06/2022 18:36

@KangarooKenny that was proven to be a fake story.

Please
or

Ihatethenewlook · 06/06/2022 18:37

Antalya is the most recommended Turkish holiday for people with kids

Please
or

Pemba · 06/06/2022 18:41

DD's friend went there on holiday with her parents a few years ago. She was frequently bothered by men approaching her. Even in front of her parents. She was 14.

Just something to be aware of if you have older girls.

Please
or

Clymene · 06/06/2022 18:41

It's just unbearably hot. What about eurocamping in France? The tents are pre erected and come with beds and a fridge etc.

Big pool and lots of stuff for kids to do - entertainment with English leaders etc.

Great fun!

Please
or

WigglyWombat · 06/06/2022 18:43

It’s perfect. The all inclusives have a great set up for kids and usually have kids clubs and evening entertainment.

We usually go in May or September. Did go in August once though and it was still lovely - hot but we got a room near the pool and the children were in there all day, too hot to go out for daytrips or do much else though in August.

Please
or

Iluvfriends · 06/06/2022 18:45

No experience going with kids but i was in Turkey 2 weeks ago and it was 43° one day...... the other days were in the 30's so really hot.

Please
or

Iluvfriends · 06/06/2022 18:48

I didn't hear any more on that story but thought it was a bit dodgy.
How was it revealed as fake.

Please
or

jackstini · 06/06/2022 21:37

The all inclusives are brilliant for kids activities and pool/water park temperatures are good then (too cold in October)

You can get a bigger, better room for cheaper too

We got no hassle at all

Please
or

twilightermummy · 06/06/2022 21:49

We love Turkey and have been to different resorts in different areas. We go elsewhere too but the children often talk about their memories of Turkey!

The people are very friendly and are great with children. They like to see children so I’ve never felt uncomfortable in a restaurant at night with mine. If you eat out they often offer for children to eat free to entice you in.

It is very hot, as others have said, but it’s a really beautiful country. We have a boat trip which includes lunch when we’re in Marmaris and that really is a special day out. We’ll go back next year as have other plans this year. I was upset for them whilst they were red listed during covid. Glad to see tourism is picking up for them again.

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 06/06/2022 21:51

What is wrong with people 😡

Please
or

Strangerthings4NW · 06/06/2022 23:29

I am going in 2 weeks time, so interesting read all the thoughts on Turkey. It will be our first time there, so I wasn’t sure what to expect.

Please
or

downtonupton · 06/06/2022 23:51

Have had lovely holidays in Bodrum area - Akyalar - lovely all inclusive - kids had an amazing time. Visited Bodrum town and Tugutres - also can take a day trip to Kos from there DS was 5 first time and DD 12 - they both loved it. Went back when they were 10 and 17 - DD is tall leggy and blonde - she was not singled out at all - no unwanted attention (though DS got a of hair ruffled a and cheek pinching from staff sometimes)

Would really happily go back (except I have issues with the politics in Turkey now so going Greece this year)

Please
or

Titsflyingsouth · 07/06/2022 10:14

I went one year in July. It was 40 degrees every day and was so unbearable we were either prisoners by the pool or prisoners in the air-conditioned room. Despite best efforts I got horribly sunburnt. Would never to do it again. Definitely wouldn't take kids there.

Please
or

Titsflyingsouth · 07/06/2022 10:16

DD's friend went there on holiday with her parents a few years ago. She was frequently bothered by men approaching her. Even in front of her parents. She was 14.

Agree with this. Was in late teens when I went and the men were very pushy and did not respect boundaries AT ALL. It was actually really difficult. Definitely would not take teenaged girls there.

Please
or

troppibambini6 · 07/06/2022 11:27

Just got back from Antalya last night. We went with our 4dc (17,11,8 and 7) it was brilliant.
We needed a fly and flop where everything was taken care of so if that's what your looking for I would really recommend. Antalya is a lot of luxury 5* AI.
We stayed at the Marian palace and would recommend. We've previously stayed at the delphin imperial which is also good (a bit more going on for kids there although Mardan still had slides) we are staying at the delphin in October.
Barut Lara also supposed to be good. Land of legends is also supposed to be good but full on (bit like Disney full on) you can get a day pass though, we are going to do that in October.
Regnus is the one to stay at in that area but pricey.

Please
or

troppibambini6 · 07/06/2022 11:28

Dd17 got told by the toast man she was beautiful but nothing other than that. We've never had any bother outside the resort but haven't really ventured too far.

Please
or

troppibambini6 · 07/06/2022 11:29

*Mardan palace not marian

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?