Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Back from New York, where next?

18 replies

agentscully · 05/06/2022 19:12

Just got back from NY holiday which was put on hold for 2 years. We all had an amazing time.

I’d like to start planning a family holiday for next year, family of four, 2DS aged 10 & 11. Can’t afford Disney next year but would consider somewhere in the US again.

Budget around 6-7k for 10 days.

Nothing beach focused as boys get bored. We like doing activities but nothing too extreme and not trekking.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 06/06/2022 07:44

San Francisco down to Los Angeles

Please
or

Defiantlynot41 · 06/06/2022 07:52

Boston is great, lots of very accessible history, whale watching etc

Washington also loads to see and do

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 06/06/2022 08:33

I would say Washington. It has the very best museums and iconic buildings. Plenty to see in the area. You can get to Gettysburg fairly easily.

If you want to make a longer holiday go into the Blue Ridge mountains. We went from Washington to Williamsburg (worth a visit) and then had a good look around Jamestown and Yorktown before heading down to Boone. From memory you drive the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway. If you stuck to the Skyline Drive it’s shorter but still beautiful.

Im not sure about how this would work with the budget but it’s an amazing trip for American history (and ours). .

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 06/06/2022 08:39

Canada

Please
or

Forgothowmuchlhatehomeschoolin · 06/06/2022 09:00

I would try Canada next time

Please
or

Forinara · 06/06/2022 09:11

It is more affordable to fly direct to LA and do the parks around there on day passes : Universal, Knotts Berry Farm (for the big coasters) and Disney for a day (while staying in a nearby hotel)

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 06/06/2022 10:38

Why the need for Disney? The USA has so much more to offer!

Canada is not the USA. It’s big! I would not say it has much in common with NY. I would highly recommend Vancouver island though.

I think California is brilliant and I would also look at the parks in the north west states, Oregon snd Washington. . Plenty to see and do.

Please
or

ProfessorLayton1 · 07/06/2022 06:12

Fly to SF - Yosemite, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, monument valley and fly back from SLC/Colorado.

US is excellent for fly drive holidays and I would not worry about not going to Disney /universal studios.

Please
or

Amelion · 07/06/2022 08:14

Fly to Calgary and explore Banff/Jasper/Lake Louise?

Please
or

nearlyspringyay · 07/06/2022 08:22

Denver for a night or two and then up into the rockies. Breck or Vail are fab in the summer, loads to do - white water rafting, bouldering, climbing, trail riding, Breck has an alpine slide

Please
or

Forinara · 07/06/2022 09:57

I read it as saying that the OP doesn't want to do all the hiking/trekking and would like to do the parks while her DC are still young enough.

Please
or

agentscully · 07/06/2022 13:22

Thanks for the suggestions.

I mentioned Disney as it’s what most of my friends recommend for a US holiday. Plus we would all like to do the Kennedy space Center at some point.
@Fivemoreminutes1 we did San Fan/ Vegas/ LA for our honeymoon 12 years ago and would probably like to do it with DCs when they are a bit older.
@Defiantlynot41 @TizerorFizz haven’t even considered Washington so will have a look.
@KangarooKenny @Forgothowmuchlhatehomeschoolin Canada maybe a good shout, my DH best mate moved there a few years ago.
@Forinara yes, as much as I’d enjoy trekking etc I know my boys would just moan and not appreciate it.
I guess it’s finding somewhere that has lots to do without having to drive very much, I think that’s one of the reasons New York was so easy for us.

OP posts:
Please
or

RusholmeRuffian · 07/06/2022 17:08

Chicago. Loads to do and has decent public transport. You could do a day trip to Six Flags from there if you want a theme park.

Please
or

MrsTeaShore · 07/06/2022 17:34

I have 2 sons a similar age to yours and we also loved New York ! As an alternative to the US I have been looking at South Africa - apparently it’s a perfect time to go for an august holiday, and no jet lag . Mix of sightseeing and safari perhaps? Or how about Croatia - lots of beautiful scenery, boat trips, islands and also cities like Dubrovnik and smaller towns like Sibenik which is lovely. Also Eurocamp-type holidays also good. Our favourite was a site in Italy called Marina de Venezia , and you get a boat over to Venice for the day. If you aren’t into camping as such, you can get a mobile home with a dishwasher and decking etc which you could do with your budget.

Please
or

motogirl · 07/06/2022 17:41

I would do somewhere that has a good kids sports programme at that age, its a decent budget so would be decent quality. The USA in school holidays would be tight on that budget it's done expensive currently due to the exchange rate.

Please
or

motogirl · 07/06/2022 17:42

Distances are so vast in the USA it always means lots of travel (have lived there)

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 07/06/2022 18:28

@agentscully
Its very easy to tell someone to do a theme park. It is often a default response without thinking about anywhere else. I just won’t spend the money when there is more to see and do. Luckily DC never asked to go to one and we didn’t.

Please
or

Forinara · 08/06/2022 08:54

The theme parks in Abu Dhabi are overtaking the American ones and are newer, reasonably priced and better maintained.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?