Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Day trips from Milan

8 replies

Frazzledmum239 · 04/06/2022 17:38

We are going to Italy in September and using Milan as a base. We will have 2 spare days to do day trips. We have chosen Lake como for one day and just wanted any tips on best way to get there. The must sees and any advice in general. For the other day we are undecided at the moment maybe Venice, would this be doable? Are there any companies that can be recommended for doing tours. The other trip we are considering is Bernina express. Let me have your tips. 😊

OP posts:
Please
or

titchy · 04/06/2022 17:53

Milan to Venice is 2.5 hour train ride direct. Book on Trainline or Raileurope website.

Please
or

Fitterbyfifty · 04/06/2022 18:01

Venice is quite far - depends on how keen you are!

Please
or

Blubellz · 04/06/2022 18:28

Venice is doable.

I really like Bergamo… but Milan itself is rather gorgeous, too.

Please
or

Irisbouquet · 04/06/2022 18:34

@Blubellz I loved Bergamo too, I had the best red wine risotto I've ever had at a restaurant halfway up a hill.

You could get the train to Verona, we stayed overnight but I don't remember the journey being that long. Verona is very pretty, Juliet's balcony and an amphitheatre.

Please
or

Sj595 · 04/06/2022 18:43

Bergamo, Verona, Cremona are trips that I enjoyed from Milan

Please
or

Geamhradh · 04/06/2022 19:07

Venice is doable in a day but even on a direct train (the majority have one change) you're talking over 2 and a half hours.
Use the Trenitalia app- it's in English and brilliant- you check in onto the train so don't have to worry about validating tickets or anything. Buy asap as Italian long distance trains have ticketing similar to UK ones.
Milan to Lake Como is a bit of a faff with transport, your easiest would be train to Varenna or Como itself, then you can get the public ferry over to the more well known tourist destinations like Bellaggio, Menaggio etc.
You can do Lugano from Milan as well. Or, as others said Verona which is half way more or less between Milan and Venice.

Please
or

Frazzledmum239 · 04/06/2022 20:13

Thank you all, plenty of ideas look into and plan.

OP posts:
Please
or

Forinara · 04/06/2022 20:42

Lugano in Switzerland is about an hour away from the central station. It is one of my favourite places. Wonderful Ticinese cuisine and walks. It provides a great contrast to Milan. I would not do Venice from there unless staying there for a few nights. I have done the journey on the fast train before.
You can also do the excursion into the mountains on the red train with panoramic views but I cannot recall the name. It is one of the great railway journeys of Italy with a dining car. I would also recommend Turin (Torino) for the great museums (Egyptian, Fiat Car Museum and Film Museum but you really need a night there). You could do an organised day trip to Cinque Terre for the beach and (of course!) great food!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?