Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

which Greek island for a week in October? any reccs?

52 replies

Branleuse · 04/06/2022 12:04

preferably not expensive. Looking for a cheap honeymoon so any reccs for accomodation as well as specific islands.
Id like it to be warm still, so was thinking Crete or Naxos as it looks quite far south.
We are on a fairly tightish budget and not bothered about luxury in the usual sense, id be happy even glamping, but dont really like those high rise type hotels and resorts. . Id like to be able to swim in the sea and maybe a bit of snorkling if theres rocks. I love beautiful scenery and would love something with a sea view or at least a nice view.
I love wildlife. Not into busy places which puts me off Santorini, but want to be able to go out for meals etc, would be nice if it was somewhere authentic and traditional and friendly
I love the idea of Hydra ever since i watched the Leonard Cohen film, but I think its probably hard to get to. Id rather not have to do loads of extra travelling like ferries since its just for a week.

Never been to Greece before and have wanted to for years, but there seems to be so much choice, and I dont want to try and choose somewhere on a budget and then end up somewhere that was very Brits abroad. Not that im snobby either, and i would probably still make the most of it.

Any suggestions

OP posts:
Please
or

Purplecatshopaholic · 04/06/2022 12:10

I love Crete, and Santorini is gorgeous (but yes, quite busy both times I was there).

Please
or

BigSandyBalls2015 · 04/06/2022 12:15

Kefalonia

Please
or

BrieAndChilli · 04/06/2022 12:28

we went to Crete at Easter and it was just before the season so was relatively quiet. We stayed in Bali on the north coast and it was a lovely village with lots of Greek tavernas and little beaches etc. Short drive to a couple of towns which were also lovely.

Please
or

TheRoadToRuin · 04/06/2022 14:10

You are right to choose a more southerly island. I have had rain in kefalonia in September.
Lots of scope in Crete or Rhodes.

Please
or

FixTheBone · 04/06/2022 14:35

Samos, home of pythagoras, some really nice temples and ruins. The mountain village.

Please
or

Blueberrycreampie · 04/06/2022 15:00

BigSandyBalls2015 · 04/06/2022 12:15

Kefalonia

Just back from here and it was beautiful and I loved it, but don't know about October as I think a lot of places will be closed?

Please
or

CharlotteSt · 04/06/2022 15:11

Naxos is my favourite but it does involve a ferry or an internal flight. How about Mykonos? Same nec of the woods but you can fly direct. Not cheap though.

I'd probably go for Crete.

Please
or

CharlotteSt · 04/06/2022 15:11

*neck

Please
or

LadyCassandra · 04/06/2022 15:16

i used to rep in Crete a long time ago. Weather still ok in October and it used to be cheap.
I was in Kokkini Hani and it wasn’t too far from the airport and the beach was lovely.

Please
or

Jalisco · 04/06/2022 15:26

I have just come back from a fantastic hotel - the Ammos Resort - on Kos. Very Greek, small hotel, with the best customer service I have EVER found in a hotel. All- inclusive, sea view rooms / suites available, not high rise and despite it's name, not a "resort" type place. Lots of nice scenery and walking, 20 minutes by taxi to the port of Mastichari where you can day trip to Kalymnos for 5 Euros. Book a sunset evening to Zia for shopping and a meal (I recommend the Olympia - either the original or Olympia 2, one at the top of the village and one lower down). Bus to Kos town from outside the hotel if you want great ruins to explore. Fantastic weather in October - I was there last year in October. If you are interested, a number of companies, tui, jet2, etc fly there or do packages. If you want something special since it's your honeymoon, email the hotel directly and ask Olga (the manager) - she will move heaven and earth to get you whatever you want. And it's about 20 minutes from the airport. It isn't unadulterated luxury if that is what you want - it's a typical Greek hotel - but I really can't recommend it highly enough because the location and the staff are beyond comparison.

Please
or

PandaOrLion · 04/06/2022 15:27

Weve done Corfu in sept
and

Please
or

PandaOrLion · 04/06/2022 15:28

Sorry pressed send too soon. We’ve done Corfu in September and oct and it’s always been lovely. Check where you can get cheap flights from
near you - we can only get reasonable ones
to Rhodes or corfu.

Please
or

Jalisco · 04/06/2022 15:31

PS - here's the link to TripAdvisor reviews so it isn't just me who thinks it's amazing! www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1177714-d1800559-Reviews-Ammos_Resort-Mastichari_Kos_Dodecanese_South_Aegean.html

Please
or

Harridan1981 · 04/06/2022 15:35

We loved Ithaca

Please
or

Aspidistra1 · 04/06/2022 15:40

What about Paxos? Quiet as you have to get the ferry from Corfu, pebbly beaches rather than sand but bright white so beautiful. Really tiny, whole island is about 10km but you can hire a little boat and pootle around a lot of it. A bit off the beaten track.

Please
or

BlackandBlueBird · 05/06/2022 10:55

I would say any of the Ionian islands would be risky weather wise in October. You definitely want to go further south.

Crete is a good idea; parts are very Brits abroad but other parts are very wild and unspoilt. If you want a very small and unspoilt island then we always used to go to Symi in the autumn and I have very happy memories of it. Much less variety than Crete though!

Please
or

Branleuse · 05/06/2022 13:16

Thanks for the tips. I do love wild and unspoilt but im actually fairly easily pleased when it comes to holidays. Lots of places on booking.com look amazing and bargainous. I saw something close to bali beach on crete that was about £200 for the week with 2 meals included in that and sea view. Im a real bargain hunter with holidays, but dp is probably a bit harder to please. He really hates bad service though, so that place someone recommended above was interesting, although seems more northerly than crete. Would there be a big difference in weather?
I sometimes go to malta at that time of year and i dont mind a rainy day here and there, but id be disappointed if it was a lot of the time.
I also would like it to be not too family orientated, since we are not taking our kids, it annoys me to be bothered by other peoples kids a lot when im having time off mine.

OP posts:
Please
or

CottonSock · 05/06/2022 13:18

I'd look at rainfall and pick the driest. Corfu is pretty lush.
I think crete is one of the drier ones.

Please
or

BlackandBlueBird · 05/06/2022 13:22

Yes Rhodes should be ok weather wise! I’ve found in the Dodecanese (archipelago of which Rhodes is part) in autumn you can feel the chill of winter is coming… but more than the odd day of rain would be unusual.

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 05/06/2022 13:23

I wouldn’t go to Greece in October. I’d be going to the Canaries. Fuerteventura has amazing beaches.

Please
or

Jalisco · 05/06/2022 13:35

Branleuse · 05/06/2022 13:16

Thanks for the tips. I do love wild and unspoilt but im actually fairly easily pleased when it comes to holidays. Lots of places on booking.com look amazing and bargainous. I saw something close to bali beach on crete that was about £200 for the week with 2 meals included in that and sea view. Im a real bargain hunter with holidays, but dp is probably a bit harder to please. He really hates bad service though, so that place someone recommended above was interesting, although seems more northerly than crete. Would there be a big difference in weather?
I sometimes go to malta at that time of year and i dont mind a rainy day here and there, but id be disappointed if it was a lot of the time.
I also would like it to be not too family orientated, since we are not taking our kids, it annoys me to be bothered by other peoples kids a lot when im having time off mine.

If you are talking about the place I mentioned, the Aegean is perfect in October - I have been in October many times. You may get a few electrical storms, usually at night, but they are actually breath-taking rather than horrible weather! And the place I recommended isn't really family orientated - it's not childfree, but the fact that it doesn't have the big resort facilities deters many families. When I was there there were very few and they tended to be younger - up to three years - or older adult children (although only a few of them too). Last year when I was there in October it rained twice in the night in two weeks, and there was a showery couple of hours one day.

Please
or

Branleuse · 05/06/2022 16:10

KangarooKenny · 05/06/2022 13:23

I wouldn’t go to Greece in October. I’d be going to the Canaries. Fuerteventura has amazing beaches.

Canaries is lovely but i think the atlantics not great for snorkling

OP posts:
Please
or

itsgettingweird · 05/06/2022 16:17

www.jet2holidays.com/destinations/greece/lefkas

Lefkada in the Ionian islands is lovely. You can also visit the Nidhri waterfalls which are beautiful.

I worked for a time on the mainland with sailing and travelled all around this area.

It's peaceful but thee is everything you need.

Please
or

itsgettingweird · 05/06/2022 16:19

Btw not suggesting you use jet2. Just this had a good example of each little resort you can explore and look for options within it.

Please
or

CeeJay81 · 05/06/2022 16:32

I'd also look at the south coast of crete. You wont find any hotels there on the jet 2 or tui websites as it's more remote with lots of smaller towns and villages, much less developed. It's also marginally warmer than the North Coast. I've no idea where is good for snorkeling but I can imagine there are many places. The local towns of paleochora, plakias and lerapatra will have plenty of authentic places to eat, aswel as many beautiful cretan villages too.. Its a world away from the tourist resorts on the North Coast.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?