Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

South Africa in their winter (UK summer)

11 replies

zafferana · 03/06/2022 12:49

Interested to hear from anyone who knows SA well or has travelled there in July/August, particularly Cape Town and the Garden Route. How cold/wet is it likely to be?

OP posts:
Please
or

Essexexile · 03/06/2022 16:24

Many years ago we spent 10 days in August in Hout Bay which is close to Capetown. It was cold and wet most of the time but thankfully for the day we’d booked Robben Island, it was warm and sunny.
We rented a house with a pool and real fires, we used the fires but not the pool. Loved it though and said we’d go back during their summer, one day we might just do that 😀

Please
or

TattiePants · 03/06/2022 22:51

Not August but I’ve been in early September which is more like their early spring and the weather was very mixed. The first day when we went up Table Mountain was glorious but the next day when we drove down to Simonstown and the cape was freezing! We had a villa with a pool in the wine region and there’s no way we could have got in for a swim!

Please
or

Palavah · 03/06/2022 23:04

I've been in July/August twice - not especially cold during the day - v warm in the sun, in fact, but a fresh breeze. Cold at night.
I enjoyed spending time further up the coast - Transkei/coffee bay. If i were going again I'd check out the Drachensberg Mountains.

NB in the parts of the garden route nearer Cape Town some places were only half open.

Please
or

Frostytiger87 · 04/06/2022 08:38

We’re going to Cape Town & going through the garden route in July , I am a bit concerned about the weather & what to pack

Please
or

Chasingsquirrels · 04/06/2022 08:40

I went to Kimberley in August 33 years ago. Weather was fantastic, I was sunbathing round the pool. My uncle was going to work in his suit with a jumper. But then, it had snowed the week before I went!

Please
or

cariadlet · 04/06/2022 08:47

We did Cape Town and the garden route in August years ago. Pretty warm most days.

I'd pack the way you would for a British summer. Plenty of shorts and tshirts but also a couple of of hoodies (or whatever your style is) for when it's cooler.

Please
or

Frostytiger87 · 04/06/2022 09:53

Thankyou Cariadlet, I always over pack 🙈
Has anyone done a safari ? Do people dress up in the evening for dinner ?

Please
or

Franklin12 · 04/06/2022 12:08

August in Cape Town is not especially nice. It’s their dead of winter.

Please
or

Frostytiger87 · 04/06/2022 12:34

I was expecting chilly but not that bad is there a lot of rain in July ?

Please
or

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername · 04/06/2022 14:10

We went in October and it was mixed; some days it rained (but not many), a couple of days were insanely windy (near the Cape, I think it's always windy there) and some were very hot (we hit 42 one day). Overall though it was lovely and I'd definitely go back at that time of year.

Please
or

Frostytiger87 · 10/06/2022 16:40

We’re going mid July ,

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?