Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

If I loved Puerto Mogan, where should I go in Tenerife?

7 replies

Rightgroove · 01/06/2022 08:04

2 adults, one two year old, I'll be 6 months pregnant, in November I think, preferably somewhere quiet with a nice beach and restaurants, ideally staying self catering in an apartment.

What do you think?

OP posts:
Please
or

zafferana · 02/06/2022 09:51

Costa Adeje is probably the most similar OP, although I don't know that there is anywhere in Tenerife that is quite as charming as Puerto de Mogan.

Adeje is bigger, but it does have a nice sandy beach and plenty of choices of accommodation, restaurants, etc. November is likely to be quiet wherever you go as it's low season.

Please
or

friendlycat · 02/06/2022 23:30

I don’t think there is anywhere quite as lovely as Puerto Mogan. We go every Christmas.

In Tenerife you could look at Los Gigantes as an option but it’s different obviously. In Lanzarote I would be prepared to go to Playa Blanca accepting it's much bigger.

But if you really love Mogan why not just go back there.

Please
or

squareofthehypotepotenuse · 03/06/2022 09:01

We also loved Mogan, but didn’t see anywhere quite as nice in Tenerife. Los Gigantes, as pp says above, is probably closest, but didn’t have the same feel as lovely Mogan! We weren’t impressed with Adeje, probably more akin to Maspalomas in GC - swanky hotels but rather soulless. Just my opinion as a fellow Mogan lover!

Please
or

zafferana · 03/06/2022 09:05

The problem with Los Gigantes is that it's very rocky and any small patches of sand are black (which gets really hot), not yellow like in Mogan. Playa Blanca is probably more toddler-friendly, tbh, but it's quite soulless and sprawling (bit like Adeje), neither has the charm of Mogan!

Please
or

Lykia · 03/06/2022 09:10

If you really want to go to Tenerife. Stay in La Caleta area of Costa Adeje. It's not like Puerto Mogan at all but it has a nice relaxed vibe about it.

Please
or

itsgettingweird · 03/06/2022 09:23

Slightly along from Los Gigantes is Playa de La Arena. Worth looking at. It does have a black sand beach but it won't get too hot in November.

Costa Adeje coast has had a massive tourism growth the past decade and isn't as quiet as it use to be.

There is another smaller village Callao Salvaje but that's quite quiet and no real beach so maybe too quiet for what you want.

Please
or

friendlycat · 03/06/2022 23:28

It’s interesting hear other people trying to help with a similar match to Puerto Mogan. I don’t actually think there is one.

Sure there are charming small places across the main islands, then there are the bigger not as brash resorts. But getting the unique mix that Puerto Mogan has of nice beach, picturesque harbour and additional fishing harbour, low key development (accepting that it’s grown a lot), wide choice of restaurants, pleasant shops, lovely scenery, mix of nationalities with let’s face it low key Brits (and yes I know I’m one of them), no loud nightlife but a lovely vibe and atmosphere, it’s just so hard to beat. Then factor in 35 minutes in car\taxi from airport, ferry service to other places and good bus service.

The other huge factor is the mini microclimate that Mogan has, especially in Winter months. You can go 20 minutes up the coast and it’s cloudy, windy etc. This isn’t so apparent in Summer but really can be quite noticeable November through March.

I just love the whole vibe of the place and the fact it’s quiet and not ravaged by mass hotels. But similarly I can also appreciate that others would find it too quiet and not happening enough.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?