Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Split to Dubrovnik - Help!!

13 replies

Winkenblinkenandnod · 30/05/2022 07:46

Hi, we're going to Croatia at the weekend for 10 days, arriving in Split, spending a couple of days there then 4 nights on Vis then the plan was to get a combination of ferries to Dubrovnik for 4 nights before flying home from there. A couple of days ago the ferry company emailed to cancel one leg of the ferry to Dubrovnik. Without that there doesn't seem to be any way of getting there by boat on the planned day (accommodation all booked around this). I've looked at the buses but some reviews say not to do this if travel sick which I am. Other options I've thought of are hiring a car, which sounds more stressful, or private transfer which is a lot more expensive. Rest of the family think we should just get the bus but they don't know the misery of travel sickness. Does anyone have experience of the bus? Is it as bad as that? Should I just stump up for a private transfer? Any other ideas? Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

samebutdifferentt · 30/05/2022 07:52

Could a domestic flight be an option?

Please
or

Winkenblinkenandnod · 30/05/2022 09:00

I'll have a look at that, thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

Sortingfinances2 · 30/05/2022 12:00

We used buses in Croatia a good few years back. I don't remember it being an issue and DD gets travel sick.

Please
or

Midgetwithaplan · 30/05/2022 12:38

I've travelled by bus in Croatia and get travel sick on UK coaches. I was fine. They stop regularly for toilet breaks, have good aircon and all our drivers were great, plus the roads between the cities were good, not bumpy or windy

Please
or

Winkenblinkenandnod · 30/05/2022 13:44

Thank you both so much, that's reassuring.

OP posts:
Please
or

calmlakes · 30/05/2022 14:34

We hired a car without any hassle.

Please
or

Hbh17 · 30/05/2022 14:44

We went a few years ago & had a private transfer - hired with a company online. It was a great way to see something of the country, and very efficient.

Please
or

Peccary · 30/05/2022 20:33

Get some dramamine, I suffer badly but managed to travel the length of South America by bus on the stuff

Please
or

Muuuuuuuum · 30/05/2022 20:37

Loved Croatia, very jealous of your trip.

I can get travel sick on coaches (and often do on boats and planes). I was fine on bus from Split to Dubrovnik (less so on the fast catamaran from Hvar back to Split later in the holiday).

Please
or

Winkenblinkenandnod · 30/05/2022 22:17

Muuuuuuuum, that was one of the boats we were meant to be on so maybe it's not such a bad thing is been cancelled!! Do you remember which company you used for the private transfer Hbh17? Although from what folk are saying the bus may not be as bad as I was thinking.

OP posts:
Please
or

kjack · 07/08/2022 21:06

Hi @ Hbh17.. I don't suppose you remember the name of the private transfer company? We are going soon and really would prefer not to hire a car.
Thanks!!!

Please
or

Hbh17 · 07/08/2022 21:16

Sorry - I don't remember the company, but I did just get them from Google!

Please
or

pigeonstreet123 · 08/08/2022 07:55

A few years ago, we took bus from
Split
To Dubrovnik. It wasn't a particularly long journey

We then ferried dubrovnik to korcula then to hvar and back to split. We didn't book anything in advance. Just be careful as ferries often go once a day. It was easy and hassle
Free

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?