Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Help finding a 2 night relaxing solo UK break for me, please

19 replies

TheCheeseAlarm · 29/05/2022 14:45

I'd really like to find somewhere to stay for 2 nights at the end of August to relax and recharge my batteries. Somewhere in the UK that I could get to by train from London and would be great as a solo break for me. I've had a punishing year and would love to do this before term starts again in September.

I'd like somewhere friendly, and not overpoweringly grand, that has lovely grounds (or a balcony) I can sit in/on and read, and has a lovely restaurant so I don't need to leave at all. Spa treatments would be a bonus, as would a seaview, but neither are a deal breaker.

My budget is around £600. I've had a look online but as this is so far outside what I normally do, I'm clueless. So I wondered if someone would have any ideas or recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

OP posts:
Please
or

AuntieDolly · 29/05/2022 14:55

Please
or

FormerlySpeckledyHen · 29/05/2022 15:22

I’ve stayed at The Dart Marina. I was lovely.

Please
or

FormerlySpeckledyHen · 29/05/2022 15:23

*it was lovely - not me!

Please
or

Time40 · 29/05/2022 15:31

The Osborne Hotel in Torquay is nice. It's on the cliffs with a lovely sea view, and it's got a gym and an indoor and an outdoor swimming pool. I didn't eat in the restaurant, so can't vouch for their food, but the breakfast was fine.

Please
or

TheCheeseAlarm · 29/05/2022 15:32

That does look really lovely. Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

cardboardbox24 · 29/05/2022 15:40

Ooh that looks lovely. I suspect a good 5 hours away from London on public transport though

Please
or

timestheyarechanging · 29/05/2022 17:43

The Yarrow Hotel in Broadstairs is lovely and Ramsgate is just a few miles away

Please
or

MooseBeTimeForSnow · 29/05/2022 18:19

Seaham Hall in County Durham

Please
or

TheCheeseAlarm · 29/05/2022 20:10

Thank you all for the suggestions. I shall check them out.

OP posts:
Please
or

lightisnotwhite · 29/05/2022 21:39

How about the aisle of Wight? 1.5 hours on the train from Waterloo. The train and Cat are in the same station (in an old Victorian pier). 15 mins later and in your in Ryde straight on a fabulous beach.
Staying somewhere glamorous is tricky as most places lean towards quirky.
you want a spa theres The Lakeside Spa and Hotel at Wotton. ( close to Ryde - 15 minute taxi). Water but no sea,
However if you don’t mind catching a bus the Wellington in Ventir has impressive balconies and amazing expansive sea www.thewellington.co.uk/gallery.
Or cig you want something different there’s a yurt in Brembridge harbour with your own little pontoon to watch the sea on. Short walk to St Helens beach and fresh seafood 5 minutes up the road at The Best Dressed Crab.

Please
or

PartyPlan · 29/05/2022 21:53

Have a look at Ockenden Manor in Sussex. Should fit the bill. A lot of the spa hotels are out of budget but this is doable. www.hshotels.co.uk/ockenden-manor

Please
or

ElleWoodsandBruiser · 30/05/2022 18:49

This is nice, I haven’t stayed, have only eaten there. No sea view but great beach v nearby. It has a spa.

thegallivant.co.uk

Please
or

TheCheeseAlarm · 31/05/2022 20:41

Thank you for all of these. Ockendon Manor looks like it might be a good fit.

OP posts:
Please
or

PartyPlan · 01/06/2022 08:46

From London, you can get a train direct to Haywards Heath. Ockenden is about 15 mins in a cab from there, lots sit at the front of the station. You could do Brighton for the day on the train if you are craving the sea.

Please
or

mycatallowsmetolivehere · 01/06/2022 08:50

Ragdale Hall

Wonderful spa treatments, beautiful grounds , amazing service , great food , quiet spaces as well as gym facilities and more social areas
Restaurant even have a solo diner table that you can join or decline without fuss

Expensive but worth it

Please
or

Ruralbliss · 01/06/2022 08:56

The Palace Hotel, Buxton

Please
or

Quornflakegirl · 01/06/2022 09:02

Cowley Manor in the Cotswolds is lovely.

Please
or

Jubileeeeeeee · 01/06/2022 20:19

The spa at Ockenden is beautiful and you could read there but I’m not sure that the hotel completely fits your brief.

Please
or

CMOTDibbler · 01/06/2022 20:40

Not by the sea, but the loveliest grounds of any hotel I've been to, the Ickworth is 3 miles from Bury St Edmunds train station. I had a random 1 night stay there for work, and had a beautiful, tranquil, evening swimming and then cycling round in the ground. The food was fab

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?