Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Greece thread - tips and advice

10 replies

monotype · 28/05/2022 19:32

Greece (and travel of sorts generally) newbie here. I thought we could post stuff here so that it's all in one place for reference.

Could someone tell me what's the best way to take money there? Withdraw cash out of ATM or pay by card at each place (credit or debit?)

Also, a lot of activities mention that "gratuity" is not included in the price. Is this a must (I don't want to be despised!), and if so, how much? Do you have to tip everyone??

OP posts:
Please
or

Flopisfatteningbingforchristmas · 29/05/2022 08:26

What kind of activities?

Martin Lewis Money saving website explains the best ways to pay for things on holiday. It all depends on who you bank with.

Please
or

Blueberrycreampie · 29/05/2022 08:28

In Greece now, take Euros if you can with a credit card as a back up. Plenty of ATMs around on our island but there is a fee I think. Cash is preferred but they won't refuse your money if paying by cc.

Please
or

monotype · 29/05/2022 11:42

Flopisfatteningbingforchristmas · 29/05/2022 08:26

What kind of activities?

Martin Lewis Money saving website explains the best ways to pay for things on holiday. It all depends on who you bank with.

Boat cruise says that gratuity isn't included in the price. Does that mean we have to pay them something at the end of the trip?

Thank you, will check out Martin Lewis!

OP posts:
Please
or

monotype · 29/05/2022 11:43

@Blueberrycreampie I see, I will take euros then. Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

Blueberrycreampie · 29/05/2022 15:23

Just paid cash for both our car hire and accommodation. We have a safe in our apartment so not worried! Some credit cards are better than others but difference is probably minimal. I used to order my Euros to collect at the airport and got a much better rate than just on the date of departure but can't seem to do this at present. Tesco, M&S and Sainsbury's all have good exchange rates👍.

Please
or

Blueberrycreampie · 29/05/2022 15:30

Generally the Greeks are not money grabbers and would rather give you freebies. So far we have been given apricot jam (home made), meat pie also home made, cheesecake, ouzo, home made sweet wine - not really our thing and a liqueur made from tree sap 🤮 and we've only been here a few days! They really do appreciate a small gratuity though but will not hate you if you don't leave anything.

Please
or

hellcatspanglelalala · 29/05/2022 16:00

Get a starling account/card, you don't incur charges for using abroad either for withdrawing cash or paying on card. You can open the account online, very straightforward.

Please
or

Puppylucky · 30/05/2022 08:04

A gratuity for a boat trip is literally just a 5 euro note thrust at the crew as you get off! They won't hate on you if you don't do it but it's a nice way to say thanks to the crew if you have enjoyed the trip.

Please
or

monotype · 30/05/2022 20:44

Thank you Puppylucky and blueberrycreampie, good to know. @hellcatspanglelalala have Starling so happy about that!

OP posts:
Please
or

onelostsoulswimminginafishbowl · 30/05/2022 21:09

I am here at the moment (although not on holiday) and I have not used much cash, I have a contactless wise card which allows me to have money in a variety of currencies and I have just used that for most things. I tend to use cash for small amounts in small businesses so they can avoid the bank charges. I usually tip a small amount at restaurants and cafes and in taxis. Same as I would in the UK.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?