Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Passport help

13 replies

Mammymanic · 27/05/2022 22:18

Hi everyone so I'm in a pickle trying to organise my partners passport, but it's a lot more complicated then I first thought, so he was born in England and had a English passport which expired when he was a teen, but has been living in Ireland 20years+ so I went to apply for a Irish one can anyone help me what do I do??

OP posts:
Please
or

piglet81 · 27/05/2022 22:22

Surely a grown man can arrange his own passport?

Please
or

lilao · 27/05/2022 22:24

I think he would need to apply for Irish citizenship rather than just apply for an Irish passport

Please
or

Mammymanic · 27/05/2022 22:26

Ok how does he do that?

OP posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 27/05/2022 22:28

Can he Google it?

Please
or

Madwomanuptheroad29 · 27/05/2022 22:33

He would be entitled to an Irish passport if he either was born on the island of Ireland before 2003 (I think) or has parents or grandparents who were Irish.
If not he would need to apply for citizenship which takes a considerable a ount of time and costs around 1800 euro. For that he needs to prove residency in Ireland.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 27/05/2022 22:36

He'd be better off renewing his UK passport; it will be much faster

Please
or

Ohhelpicantthinkofaname · 28/05/2022 09:42

He needs a renew his U.K. passport. If he’s still a U.K. citizen he’s still entitled to one.

Please
or

heldinadream · 28/05/2022 09:51

@Mammymanic where is he actually a citizen of, Ireland or UK?

Why are you doing this and not him, is he disabled or unable to do it in some way?

Please
or

dementedpixie · 28/05/2022 09:57

www.irishimmigration.ie/how-to-become-a-citizen/become-an-irish-citizen-by-naturalisation/citizenship-applicants-guide-to-an-garda-siochana-national-vetting-bureau-e-vetting/

Probably takes many months, if not years to go through all the processes. If he is still a British citizen then it would be much faster to renew his British passport

Please
or
Please
or

Electriq · 28/05/2022 10:05

Renew the English passport then look into irish passport etc.

Please
or

AnuSTart · 28/05/2022 13:46

What a strange thread.
He is British not Irish according to OP post. You can't just apply for a passport of a country you aren't a citizen of. It'll take at least a year to get citizenship probably and far more expense than just getting a UK passport.

In addition, are you his PA? Is he paying for your administrative Labour?

Please
or

notangelinajolie · 28/05/2022 18:20

He is a UK citizen so he needs a UK passport. Living in Ireland doesn’t make him Irish 😋

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?