Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Ryanair baggage - fly tonight

12 replies

LegoCardSwapper · 27/05/2022 08:22

Yes I know, stupid. But I've booked Ryanair flights. My fault but we were a bit stuck.

Across our booking for 5 people we have 1 x 20kg bag and 5 x 10kg check in bags.

Does anyone know if the baggage sharing rule applies to the 10kg bags? So for example my 20kg bag is slightly over but one of my 10kg bags is only 7.

Normally I wouldn't ask but this is Ryanair, and the example on the website re baggage allowance sharing only talks about "if you have 2 20kg bags, one can weigh 25kg and one can weigh 15kg"

I've also only realised this morning that the 10kg bags are size restricted 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ never again!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

hellsbells99 · 27/05/2022 08:42

Your 20kg bag will be checked in so I don’t think you can share this allowance with your carry on bags - don’t know for sure though.

Please
or

EileenGC · 27/05/2022 08:44

Yes, you can pool your purchased allowance. Pic attached from Ryanair website. The 25+15kg is an example.

I don’t get this ‘I booked Ryanair, how stupid’. Why is it stupid? They’re an ok airline. Their terms and conditions and sizes are made perfectly clear at the time of booking. The size of the 10kg check-in bags is clearly specified and very hard to miss if you’re reading the website left to right, top to bottom before clicking ‘buy’.

Ryanair are still the cheapest and most efficient airline when it comes to advertising and offering different luggage options. Even easyJet is worse, and so much more expensive.

Hope you have a good trip OP.

Ryanair baggage - fly tonight
Please
or

AnyFucker · 27/05/2022 08:44

Carry on bags cannot share with hold luggage.

You must make sure your hold suitcase is 20 kgs or less

the 10kg bags don’t get weighed and only get measured unless they are very obviously oversize.

Please
or

AnyFucker · 27/05/2022 08:45

And yes, there is nothing wrong with Ryanair as long as you follow the very clear rules. I regularly fly with them.

Please
or

EileenGC · 27/05/2022 08:46

hellsbells99 · 27/05/2022 08:42

Your 20kg bag will be checked in so I don’t think you can share this allowance with your carry on bags - don’t know for sure though.

All of OP’s bags are checked in.

If this is also how people ‘comprehensively’ read the website, it’s no wonder they’re then caught out at the airport when they turn up with the incorrect number bags or kgs.

Please
or

EileenGC · 27/05/2022 08:47

@AnyFucker the OP isn’t taking carry on suitcases with her. She has booked 10kg check-in bags. Ryanair offers both a carry on option (called priority boarding) and a check-in option for eg liquids for a short trip. OP has a 70kg check-in allowance.

Please
or

KarrotKake · 27/05/2022 08:58

Can you not play musical packing? Shift a couple of heavy things from the 23kg suitcase into the 7kg case.
Might be less stressful to do it at home than risk having to do it at the airport. No idea on Ryanair rules tho.

Please
or

AnyFucker · 27/05/2022 10:16

Ah, apologies.

Please
or

LegoCardSwapper · 01/06/2022 12:09

Thanks all. Just an update in case anyone else was in the same position...

20kg bags can be pooled. 10kg bags cannot and have to be a certain dimension. This is absolutely not clear prior to booking, nor on any confirmations. It is very clear upon check in though hence my panic.

As it happens, I managed. Looking at the state of the RyanAir bag drop area at 4am Saturday morning, I wasn't the only one who didn't know.

My comments about Ryanair are purely based on how they love to overcharge for "extras". In fact, 2 people on my flight were forced to pay extra for their bags on the runway. So beware!

OP posts:
Please
or

IVFGotThis05 · 10/06/2022 15:18

@LegoCardSwapper I fly Monday with Ryanair and I only booked 2x10kg check in bags as I thought me and DH wouldn't need anything more but we have normal size cases :( Does this mean I am going to have to put them in smaller cases or upgrade to the 20kg.

I'm not usually an anxious person but I think since I haven't been on holiday for years it's been really stressing me out trying to get everything organised ! Now I have to worry about this too!

I thought the measurements of cases was for carry on only :(

Please
or

LegoCardSwapper · 10/06/2022 15:27

@IVFGotThis05 yes, that's right. You've got to have the smaller 40 x 20 x whatever cases. It's really unclear until you check in online.

OP posts:
Please
or

IVFGotThis05 · 10/06/2022 16:39

@LegoCardSwapper ah thanks for the update! I've just added on a 20kg ! I'm glad I was having a little browse of mumsnet travel ! I don't usually ! :)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?