Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

French train question

11 replies

MrsWonderland · 26/05/2022 22:02

We are catching a train from Normandy to Paris return one day next week. The tickets I've booked say we need to travel with "original and valid ID" but I'm loathed to carry our passports around Paris all day.

I have a driving license but my kids only official ID would be passports. Does anyone know if it's really necessary. I have photos of passports on my phone but the booking (via Trainline) does specifically say to bring an 'accepted form of ID'

OP posts:
Please
or

Oojamaflipp · 26/05/2022 22:05

I can't answer your question specifically, but just to say that I have travelled lot on the train in France over the years (albeit not in the past few) and I have never ever been asked to show my ID. Perhaps it's changed or maybe it:s to do with covid, but I don't know why you would need ID

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 26/05/2022 22:08

I'm not sure for France, but some other European countries carrying ID is expected... but not children under 12.

Please
or

MrsWonderland · 26/05/2022 22:22

Thanks. I'm not sure if it's because I have to prove they are kids for their reduced price tickets (they clearly are and actually look young for their ages) but hopefully showing pics of their passports will be good enough. Just couldn't bare to be turned away but equally way too much stress having passports with us all day

OP posts:
Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 26/05/2022 22:46

It's very unlikely you will be asked for ID, but in France you are actually legally obliged to carry id with you all the time anyway. |t's quite standard in Europe - though it wouldn't be expected for under 16s. Your driving licence should be fine.

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 26/05/2022 22:48

I travelled right across France and back last week and only was asked to show my ticket once. They didn't ask for ID.

Please
or

Wallywobbles · 26/05/2022 22:48

You should have your ID on you always in France. It is the law I'm afraid.

Please
or

MrsWonderland · 27/05/2022 06:19

That's fine. I'll have my driving license. It's the kids' passports I'm worried about but I may plead ignorance if asked and show them the copies on my phone.

OP posts:
Please
or

Molly499 · 27/05/2022 15:34

You surely need a passport to enter France so will have them on you anyway unless you are a French resident. The law says you must carry photo ID at all times for adults so why not just shove them in a bag and be worry free.

Please
or

MrsWonderland · 27/05/2022 16:04

@Molly499 because it's one thing to head off to Paris one day with my driving license and quite another to walk around all day there with all our passports.

OP posts:
Please
or

Wallywobbles · 28/05/2022 07:35

Sorry ID for everyone. Although unlikely to need it you'd potentially be hard pushed to prove the kids are yours without it. Maybe take a photocopy of your passports.

My kids were born in France and I've only ever needed it at border crossings I think. But on the train our kids always always have their train pass discount cards on them. The fine is a minimum of 50€ when they forget.

Please
or

Roseau18 · 28/05/2022 07:45

I live in France and commute to work by train. It very much depends on the ticket collector. Some ask everyone whose tickets say ID is required to show their ID, some ask no one.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?