Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

What’s classed as fully vaccinated?

24 replies

Chichiboo · 23/05/2022 08:17

i have had 3 jabs my dd11 has had 1. We go away in July are we classed as fully vaccinated?? Tia

OP posts:
Please
or

ICannotRememberAThing · 23/05/2022 08:23

I was researching this last night.

Some places require you to have had the 2 vaccines and the booster (if the 2 vaccines were a certain number of days ago).

The government website has all the details. You need to look at each country individually though as they all have different rules for entry.

Please
or

ICannotRememberAThing · 23/05/2022 08:24

In other words, it depends where you are going!

Please
or

EileenGC · 23/05/2022 08:24

Which country are you going to?

You are fully vaccinated. In the EU your daughter isn’t (unless it was the Moderna jab she got, doubtful at 11).

Please
or

Chichiboo · 23/05/2022 08:29

We are going on a cruise 21st July we fly to Barcelona to get the ship which then goes to France Spain Italy. Dd has her 2nd jab booked for 11th July (a few days before her 12th bday):

OP posts:
Please
or

CeeJay81 · 23/05/2022 08:30

Mosr countries don't expect a 11 year old to be fully vaccinated, its usually over 12s if they still have restrictions. Check the country's restrictions your going to to be sure what it means.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 23/05/2022 08:39

The people with boosters are fully vaccinated for just about everywhere. For your dd it depends on the country and what they ask for. Some countries may not require her to be fully vaccinated but may require a negative covid test.

Please
or

EileenGC · 23/05/2022 08:39

Most EU countries do class children as young as 5 as fully vaccinated only if they’ve had 2 doses + a 14 day wait, but there are different travel rules for under 12s.

For Spain your DD won’t need anything if she’s still 11 when you go. If she’s turned 12 you’d currently need a test or recovery certificate (as she won’t have the 14 day grace period after her vaccine), but the rules are set to change between now and July anyway.

You need to go on each country’s official travel website and check the rules for her exact age group. Keep monitoring them until a couple of weeks before you go, many countries are changing rules these days in preparation for summer holidays.

You’ve been boostered, you’re sorted. NHS travel pass and you’re good to go. Just check for DD according to her age when you travel.

Please
or

Chichiboo · 23/05/2022 09:37

So yeah basically she gets her second house on the 11th of July she turns 12 on the 14th of July and we fly on the 21st of July meaning of Covid pass isn’t valid until the 25th of July but I’m not too sure where we stand with cruising we fly to Barcelona then the following day we will be in France as we sail through the night I think I’m gonna have to check with the cruise line. She will need a PCR test and to fill in the health form online to enter Spain which is fine I can do that the day before we go to the airport I guess? Where is best to get PCR tests from? Haven’t travelled for about three years this is so daunting and being a single parent now it’s even worse LOL

OP posts:
Please
or

curious79 · 23/05/2022 09:45

country by country issue.
You need to look at Spain, Italy's and France's requirements individually, and every few weeks - requirements are evolving.
Start with Foreign Office website, and / or individual country health ministries. I believe Spain and Italy don't require your 11 year old to be vaccinated but they may require her to be tested every 48 hrs in a local pharmacy so she has a pass before being allowed into restaurants. Italy treat the child as being covered by your vaccines. Spain I believe are updating their requirements at the end of May - they have been strict. Don't know about France. [I've been looking to work out where we can go with our kids]
Most countries seem to be moving to a system whereby as long as your most recent vaccination was within 9 months, and it was at least the second dose, you count as vaccinated. Beyond 9 months - even with 3 shots - you count as unvaccinated

Please
or

curious79 · 23/05/2022 09:48

Spain - looks like she will need a PCR and must complete the health travel form prior to entry as her vaccine won't yet count
www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements#children-and-young-people

Please
or

dementedpixie · 23/05/2022 11:25

Is Spain not LFT for that age group rather than PCR?

Please
or

dementedpixie · 23/05/2022 11:27

dementedpixie · 23/05/2022 11:25

Is Spain not LFT for that age group rather than PCR?

Sorry it does day PCR rather than LFT.
Rules may have changed by the time you go though

Please
or

dementedpixie · 23/05/2022 11:28

You need to look at Spain, Italy's and France's requirements individually, and every few weeks - requirements are evolving.
Start with Foreign Office website, and / or individual country health ministries. I believe Spain and Italy don't require your 11 year old to be vaccinated but they may require her to be tested every 48 hrs in a local pharmacy so she has a pass before being allowed into restaurants. Italy treat the child as being covered by your vaccines. Spain I believe are updating their requirements at the end of May - they have been strict. Don't know about France. [I've been looking to work out where we can go with our kids]
Most countries seem to be moving to a system whereby as long as your most recent vaccination was within 9 months, and it was at least the second dose, you count as vaccinated. Beyond 9 months - even with 3 shots - you count as unvaccinated

Most places say the booster has no expiry so 3 doses will still mean fully vaccinated

Please
or

Geamhradh · 23/05/2022 15:13

For Italy the child will need a negative test for entry.
This rule will probably have been abolished by the time you travel.

Please
or

Lavenderlast · 23/05/2022 15:17

CeeJay81 · 23/05/2022 08:30

Mosr countries don't expect a 11 year old to be fully vaccinated, its usually over 12s if they still have restrictions. Check the country's restrictions your going to to be sure what it means.

Italy does expect over 6 yr olds to be either vaccinated or tested before departure , and OP has said she is visiting Italy.

OP Italy are reviewing their rules on 1 June so check as it may change. In the meantime, you need to look up each country you’re going to and check their requirements on the FCO etc website.

Please
or

Aposterhasnoname · 23/05/2022 15:19

Which countries say nine months after a booster you’re unvaccinated?

Please
or

steggyandrex · 23/05/2022 15:24

I would also check with the cruise line, we are going with P&O later this year, they have said over 5s to be fully vaccinated (2 jabs at least 2 weeks prior), or an additional Covid test before departure

Please
or

Nootkah · 23/05/2022 20:59

Definitely check with the cruise line as well as the individual countries. It could all change by July, but some rewuire everyone over 12 to be fully vaccinated or they cant board full stop, with ot without testing.

Please
or

ICannotRememberAThing · 23/05/2022 22:41

@Aposterhasnoname
Some countries want the vaccine & booster to be within a certain timeframe for travel.
You have to look at each country individually. I didn’t find a list for this particular rule but it’s there for some places.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 23/05/2022 22:43

I haven't seen a country with a time limit on the booster; mainly because most places don't offer a 4th dose right now

Please
or

PaddingtonBearStareAgain · 23/05/2022 22:45

Nootkah · 23/05/2022 20:59

Definitely check with the cruise line as well as the individual countries. It could all change by July, but some rewuire everyone over 12 to be fully vaccinated or they cant board full stop, with ot without testing.

About to say this. It doesn't matter one jot what each country wants, if you can't get on the ship anyway. Cruise companies are stringent with their requirements with no bending.

Please
or

PhilFlute · 23/05/2022 22:46

I think cruises are still being quite strict with the vaccine and also testing - we've been looking at cruises too but our 11 year old isn't vaccinated at all yet...

Please
or

PaddingtonBearStareAgain · 23/05/2022 22:48

PhilFlute · 23/05/2022 22:46

I think cruises are still being quite strict with the vaccine and also testing - we've been looking at cruises too but our 11 year old isn't vaccinated at all yet...

They are. I have family that have recently been on one and there were people denied boarding for not having the correct paperwork, even though they had the jabs.

No wrighle room at all.

Please
or

ICannotRememberAThing · 23/05/2022 22:52

dementedpixie · 23/05/2022 22:43

I haven't seen a country with a time limit on the booster; mainly because most places don't offer a 4th dose right now

Yes, it’s the primary vaccine that has an ‘expiry’ time. Sorry, I wasn’t clear.

Here are the rules for the Netherlands for example.

What’s classed as fully vaccinated?
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?