Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where's a good/cheap place to buy affordable plane tickets to Canada these days?

13 replies

xfgdhfgnhkk007 · 19/05/2022 19:41

I haven't travelled abroad in years and I'm out of the loop when it comes to travelling! I want to make sure the ticket is flexible in case of cancellations etc. Should I buy directly from an airline?

OP posts:
Please
or

WiseUpJanetWeiss · 19/05/2022 19:52

I understand Canadian Affair are good, and use Air Transat. However we've booked direct with Air Canada. I usually prefer to book directly with an airline after a couple of not great experiences with agents.

Please
or

Maxineputyourredshoeson1 · 19/05/2022 20:01

We recently booked directly through Air Canada. I’ve previously booked through Sky Scanner, dial a flight (not sure they’re still around) and other random sites (my dad has lived in Calgary for the last 15yrs). But due to covid and businesses struggling we decided to go straight to the airline. We also paid for a more expensive flexible, fully refundable ticket.

In total we ended up paying £4.5k for a family of 4 (2 adults, 1 youth and 1 child) to fly to Halifax in August. Long gone are the days I used to pay £400 for a single ticket for myself.

Please
or

xfgdhfgnhkk007 · 19/05/2022 20:07

Thanks, I think I'll book directly with an airline, but phew, Air Canada is expensive! (Doesn't help that I'm going in July..) I might look at BA. Anyone know if Air Transat is any good?

@WiseUpJanetWeiss thanks for that I hadn't heard of Canadia Affairs before

OP posts:
Please
or

xfgdhfgnhkk007 · 19/05/2022 20:08

Long gone are the days I used to pay £400 for a single ticket for myself

Tell me about it! I've been thinking it would be about 500 pounds tops but it's looking like closer to a grand!

OP posts:
Please
or

BookwormButNoTime · 19/05/2022 20:24

Air Canada are ridiculously expensive. We have booked with BA to go in March 2023 and flights were very reasonable.

I know BA are getting a lot of bad press at the moment but we use them regularly and have always been really happy. They also offer flexible fairs.

Please
or

Donotgogentle · 19/05/2022 20:32

We booked recently on Westjet, which was good value.

Please
or

functionoverform · 19/05/2022 20:34

We booked with Icelandair and had a 3 day stopover in Reykjavik as I had always wanted to go - you don't have to have a stopover though. It was really competitive. Planes were a bit older but flight times were good. 3 hrs to Reykjavik and 5 hours to Toronto with a nice break in the middle.

This was 2019, so hopefully they are competitive. We found them by using Skyscanner.

Please
or

Cantstandsmugness · 19/05/2022 20:36

Ive used Canadian affair and they were excellent, I flew Air Transit, known as the Ryan air of long haul and couldn't fault it. Defo give it a try

Please
or

WiseUpJanetWeiss · 19/05/2022 21:52

Goodness. We've paid

Please
or

xfgdhfgnhkk007 · 20/05/2022 14:11

Booked my flights - £750 return on BA! It is costly but f*ck it, I want some comfort on a long haul flight, don't want to be rattling around in a tin bucket for 7 hours. Thanks for your help!

OP posts:
Please
or

WiseUpJanetWeiss · 20/05/2022 17:59

Enjoy!

Please
or

Hallibob · 20/05/2022 18:08

We went WestJet for £1100 return for 2 people to Calgary and return from vancouver. It wasn't luxury but it was absolutely fine!

Please
or

Maxineputyourredshoeson1 · 20/05/2022 19:03

Hope you have an amazing time!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?